Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homemade garlic bread

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

ladies and gentlemen,,,give me some of your ideas,,,seems simple but would love to hear ur opinions

cheers b

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Real butter and mashed garlic. My tip is in the bread. Ended up using hot dog bundies one day for garlic bread. Best ive had! Soft but crisp.

Oven on, pop in your bundies cut in half. Wait for em to toast a bit and then slap on the garlic and butter. Back in the oven until the butter is melted.

nom nom nom

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd recommend using a garlic crusher too rather than just cutting it small.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

as above, with ciabatta bread sliced in half instead of bundies. sometimes i stick a bit of pesto into the mix as well, if i have any

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

butter, mountains of garlic, small amount of olive oil in a blender.

vizz until you have smooth paste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i crush garlic and add to real butter and a little bit of dried parsley on ciabatta bread. when its done with or without mozzarella cheese i drizzle a little pesto over the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Chopped fresh parsley in the mix - added flavour and colour, and (allegedly, I don't believe it for a minute) stops the stinky breath.

Yum!

ETA - oh, and only real butter!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'd recommend using a garlic crusher too rather than just cutting it small.
    Seconded, especially if you're lucky enough to have the best garlic press in the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just use the side if a knife, nothing worse than underdone garlic lumps

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

My fav is real butter, crushed garlic (garlic bulb not jar or paste) and a squeeze of gourmet garden itialian herb blend, only place I have ever seen it is in dunnes in the fridge with the fresh herbs and salads. Bread has to be ciabatta slice it open then slice diagonally then butter and grill, the butter sits in the little holes in the ciabatta.

Delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you don't have a garlic crusher a fine grater is... fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

try garlic pizza bread

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

add some lemon juice and fresh parsley to your garlic butter, and use lots of garlic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I make a quantity of pizza dough, then smash olive oil, garlic, maldon salt, pepper and rosemary in the pestle & mortar. Roll out your dough, smother with the garlic oil, then cook in the hottest oven you possibly can, preferably with a pizza stone.

It's even better done on the barbeque - roll out your dough, plonk on the barbie til bubbles form on the top, turn over, brush the cooked side with the oil and cook the underside.

Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Roast loads of garlic. Find a focaccia recipe (loads on the net, don't have one to hand) add the roasted garlic and rosemary and bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Seconded, especially if you're lucky enough to have the best garlic press in the world.
    seems better than the worst garlic press in the world i bought in dunnes a few months back.

99% of the garlic comes out the sides of the press when you crush it,
    1% is useful crushed garlic, worst €5 i ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

70 quid???

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and even worse, they're out of stock..... :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Just use the side if a knife, nothing worse than underdone garlic lumps

and some salt. You end with a smooth salty garlic paste. What's not to like.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

+1 on real butter, s&p, CRUSHED garlic! I have an ikea garlic crusher and its fantastic. I bought a spare on a recent trip to give to someone as a mini house warming gift but then panicked that my own would break and I would never find another as good and kept it. Gave them something else. Its a great garlic press. U can even crush garlic in its skin!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    70 quid???
    Yup. Eva Solo is furniture as well as being functional - you have to admit, the garlic press in the wee glass bulb just looks gorgeous.

But no, it's not for the faint of wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

[shamelessly stolen from Nigel Slater], baguette with cuts in about 2/3 of the way through, unsalted butter+grated parmesan+flat leave parsley + salt to taste

(unsalted butter followed by adding salt might seem a bit stupido but I have made this with salted butter before and it is poisonous because of the saltiness of the cheese, and I amn't adverse to salty things so if it was too much for me it'd probably kill a more healthy person. So you are better off adding parmesan, tasting and adding salt if necessary)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

This is a take on a Jamie Oliver recipe.

Take a ciabatta loaf and slice in half. Then cut into 2cm cubes. Place in single layer in large roasting tin or dish.

Crush three/four cloves of garlic with your hand or use a knife. Put in tin with bread.

Take a few sprigs of rosemary and pluck the leaves off. Put in tin.

Drizzle bread with olive oil, season with some ground pepper. Use fingers to mix bread, garlic and rosemary.

Put into very hot oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn bread over to allow the undersides to brown. Put back in oven for 5 minutes. Turn oven off and remove/serve or leave in oven to cool down - the bread turns into very crispy croutons.

Enjoy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

The great thing about garlic bread is its versatility - it's a very forgiving side. I made some tonight with what we had - a couple of par-baked baguettes, sliced in half lengthways and slathered with butter mashed with raw garlic and herbs, and baked for ten minutes. Soft, buttery, crisp, nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That's a pretty impressive looking garlic press, but this one is actually very good for a small bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Try confiting the garlic. Ie cover about 20 skinned cloves with good olive oil, along with a themes sprigs and diced lemon. Cook in a really low oven, about 90 degree C, for about an hour. Remove the lemon and thyme twig and then blend the rest. You get an amazing sweet taste from the garlic akin to when you roast it

Advertisement