Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you unlock PAYG phone immediatly

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Was wondering, if I decided to buy a PAYG handset (nokia 610) for somebody for Christmas are there any complications to simply unlocking it straight away? I know normally they require you to own it for 6-9 months or have spent €100+ on credit but my intention is to buy it on a new number I wont use and just get it unlocked online or in town somewhere.
    I imagine there's no problem but just want to know if there's any issues with doing this that i dont see.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

timmers wrote: »
    Was wondering, if I decided to buy a PAYG handset (nokia 610) for somebody for Christmas are there any complications to simply unlocking it straight away? I know normally they require you to own it for 6-9 months or have spent €100+ on credit but my intention is to buy it on a new number I wont use and just get it unlocked online or in town somewhere.
    I imagine there's no problem but just want to know if there's any issues with doing this that i dont see.

Depending on the phone you can get the unlock codes off a number of websites. Failing that the Chinese shops in Dublin city center can plug the phone in and crack it for you. Be careful if you do this, I got a Sony Eiricson Z520i unlocked a few years ago in a shop like that and the software wasn't the same afterwards, the phone kept freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

timmers wrote: »

Yes you can get them unlocked straight away but the price depends a lot on the manufacturer of the device.

The Nokia Lumia's are very dear e.g. €60 here.

In comparison HTC phones can be unlocked for around €2 on ebay.

Advertisement