Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking About Starting a Drama Group...

• 18-12-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm just gonna test the waters with this one for the moment...so give me your opinions, and most certainly, if you'd think about joining, let me know.

I'm thinking about starting a walk-in/walk-out style Drama Group for 18+. I was in a similar group in Dublin; and it made a lot of success for itself as an amateur drama group. I have met many wonderful people, and have had many amazing experiences through this group. And as such, I would be hoping to follow in their footsteps by setting up a group in Limerick. For the moment, the idea would be simple; weekly workshops; and anybody can come, have a gander and stick around if they like it. You don't have to go onstage, you're as welcome to join if you want to work backstage or just help out with the group.

Obviously, this means we'd be considering a play for some time in the near future. The mantra for plays will be quite simple; no musicals, no Shakespeare, nothing that would appear on the Leaving Cert syllabus.

So what do you think? Throw your comments out there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

stavros440 wrote: »
    I'm just gonna test the waters with this one for the moment...so give me your opinions, and most certainly, if you'd think about joining, let me know.

I'm thinking about starting a walk-in/walk-out style Drama Group for 18+. I was in a similar group in Dublin; and it made a lot of success for itself as an amateur drama group. I have met many wonderful people, and have had many amazing experiences through this group. And as such, I would be hoping to follow in their footsteps by setting up a group in Limerick. For the moment, the idea would be simple; weekly workshops; and anybody can come, have a gander and stick around if they like it. You don't have to go onstage, you're as welcome to join if you want to work backstage or just help out with the group.

Obviously, this means we'd be considering a play for some time in the near future. The mantra for plays will be quite simple; no musicals, no Shakespeare, nothing that would appear on the Leaving Cert syllabus.

So what do you think? Throw your comments out there!

Sounds like a good idea. But are there already some am dram groups in the area?

The John B Keane plays were always a good starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Best of luck with this - am surprised the response has been a little slow......

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stavros440

Raiser wrote: »
    Best of luck with this - am surprised the response has been a little slow......

Many thanks dude, I'm a little bit taken aback by that myself. But sure, what can ya do!?! If you yourself would be interested, gimme a shout!

A2LUE42 wrote: »

Sounds like a good idea. But are there already some am dram groups in the area?

The John B Keane plays were always a good starting point.

Nope; nothing, it would seem. I've talked to the few groups that Google seems to be presenting me with, when I look up the term 'Limerick Amateur Drama' or any similar string, but the streets, as one could tell from my previous thread trying to find a group, are dead. What I wouldnt do to change that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Hey man thats a great idea. I'd be interested although i probably wouldnt be around much til summer as im in college in cork at minute. If you had something on at the weekends though id probably be available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'd certainly be interested,had thought of theatres studies by evening at Limerick Senior,but would rather do something practical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

what exactly would ya plan on doing ? Like where would ya meet up an such i've always been curios but never tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xxsunshinexx

I'd also be interested... More info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

stavros440 wrote: »
    Obviously, this means we'd be considering a play for some time in the near future. The mantra for plays will be quite simple; no musicals, no Shakespeare, nothing that would appear on the Leaving Cert syllabus!

But Shakespeare is brilliant!

I would defo be up for something like this. I'm going to acting classes with Limerick school of acting at the moment. I'm really enjoying them, but I would really like to be involved with a group that might put on a peformance.

It might be worth checking out the boards drama group that is based in Dublin, it seems to be very succesful http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468409

Hey folks, sorry for the lack of response here over the Christmas! Hope you all had a good one!

So, to answer your questions! Firstly, if any of you guys have been in amateur drama groups before, you'll have found that they can often be bitchy, competitive places. And in lue of that, the aim of the group is quite simple. To be inclusive, to be friendly, and supportive. Anybody who is afraid of getting on stage doesn't have to get on stage; but with any luck, the group will have the friendly and supportive feel that will make those who are nervous, comfortable enough to get onstage and try it out.

The location is another question however, as I've not yet moved over to Limerick so I don't know of good places just yet. There's probably a bar or a studio somewhere that can do a bargain price for evenings. If bargain means "not free" of course, there will be a membership fee to help pay for the venue; but we'll take baby steps on that. As soon as a location has been sussed, the rules regarding said location and fee will be created.

We will do weekly workshops on all/most aspects of theater; for example, character development, relationship between director and audience, the Stanislavski method, etc. Anybody who thinks they have a gem to share from experience in theatre can run a workshop. For example, Panda100, you say you are doing class with the Limerick school of acting and you like Shakespeare. This would be a great opportunity for you; perhaps you have done something during your classes that you really liked or felt that would you would like to explore more. In that case, you can organize a workshop that can benefit you, and those of us taking part in your workshop (and you can explore your love of Shakespeare in this environment).

The reason why the group would not be looking toward doing a production of Shakespeare or anything well known is because, well, it's already well known. By doing less well known plays, we can create our own name and build on our reputation. But the likes of say, Shakespeare, Yeats, Mamet etc. already have their individual reputations. We'll just be sticking our fingers in those pies.

This drama group will be about a team, but it will also be about you. It'll be an environment that allows you to be you, builds your confidence and provides a platform where you're not afraid to try. Whatever that means to you, that's what this group is about.

If you're interested in joining, at this point, we'll obviously keep this thread alive and kicking, but please send me an IM. I'm in Limerick permanently from next week, and with luck, we can have our first meeting of the minds within the following week/s, as soon as a venue for our workshops have been sussed out. Meanwhile, if anybody knows of any bars with an upstairs, or any room in Limerick city where a workshop can be put on (obviously not the middle of a sitting room!) please let me know. And if there are any further questions, do likewise :)

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »
    It might be worth checking out the boards drama group that is based in Dublin, it seems to be very succesful http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468409

By the way, this group is the group that has inspired me to start a new one in my new home of Limerick.

I've been a No Drama member for the last three years and met many wonderful people in this group. There are some really amazing stories to come from No Drama; and that's exactly what I'm hoping to get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I think Riddlers bar has a back room that might be usable for a drama group. Will have a think about any other locations. Excited about this already. I really do think there is huge need for a more relaxed, amateur drama group in Limerick :)

Awesome! I thought the same when I went looking for a group to join. Limerick, from what I've heard, has a wealth of culture. A group like this should flourish if we give it the right approach. Of course, it needs a name and somebody/anybody there for the first workshop will take part in its creation.

Things are beginning to shape up nicely! I'll give Riddlers a look in as soon as I get into Limerick, and just throw out the names of any other venues you can think of! If all goes well I'll have a look at said venues and the first meeting will be the week of 14th January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭adaminho

Riddlers has been closed down.

Not to worry, we will find the venue we need! If you have any suggestions Adamhino, please feel free to share them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

Bobby Byrnes has a large function room. Would be ideal for this kind of thing.

Does it have to be a pub? the Red Ribbon Project rooms,none would be big,not as big as a hall I mean but would it need a stage or would just a reasonable sized room do?

For the moment, a simple room would do. So long as it has space to walk/run around. It would be best if it has a stage, but if not, thats not a problem. I was saying a bar because they're usually the easiest to find with these qualities, but I would be partial to a "no drinking during workshops" rule.

It wouldn't be the best location for me but there is very suitable rooms in the student villages at UL which are available,have taken part in workshops there......but UL is 2 miles outside the city and I don't drive,no bus links there from my side either.

Freiheit wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the best location for me but there is very suitable rooms in the student villages at UL which are available,have taken part in workshops there......but UL is 2 miles outside the city and I don't drive,no bus links there from my side either.

Don't worry mate, if this is the case, it means you won't be alone in not being able to get to workshops. And whats the point in creating a group that accepts everybody, while blocking access to some?

Just keep throwing ideas out there folks, I'm sure you've noticed by now, I'm not going to say whether your ideas are good or bad, I'll know the right venue when it's been found!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Meelick Community Hall is about 2 miles from Thomond Park and it has a stage. It's rarely used in the evenings and I think they charge about 15 euro an hour for rental. Parking outside the door but no public transport to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dani2287

Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't look at this site until today. Sounds like a great concept though, definitely interested :)

Hi Dani, that's alright! You're never late for this party! I look forward to meeting you when we start up in the coming weeks!

Thanks for that Lanigamadan, sounded like the perfect place, but then of course, there was that spanner in the works! If you can think of anywhere like that that people could get to, even if a bus/walk would be necessary from the city centre (so long, of course, a bus is possible!). For example, Arthu on Ennis Road.

The University isn't that obscure an option,I do cycle and run a lot,so not beyond me to get there,there's lot's of rooms,buses and pubs,Mary I might have rooms available too,and there' s a theatre there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 babymomma22

Hi my name is edwina and im 23 , i used to do drama groups before when i was younger with maeve mcgrath (fair city) as my teacher we used to meet up every saturday in Mary I she used to rent out a classroom or prefab , doing voice exercises and different mini plays during class where we pick a topic out of a hat and then we have a week to think of a piece around that gather props and act it out infront of everyone the following saturday. when we were coming to the end of the group as she was due a baby and wanted to spend more time with her family we wrote a play and acted it out infront of a friend of hers who is an actor . it was a great experience and iv fond memories and friendships made from it .

Or Limerick Boat Club,on Sarsfield Bridge,attended Salsa there...little building in the water,a proper island I think accessed by steps from the bridge,they have a bar and buses nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I'm definitely in for this! I think it would be awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

I used to be involved with one in Limerick called the 'Torch Players' we did the amateur circuit around Ireland and reached the final in Athlone. Met in pubs, it was great crack. People of all ages involved.

Thanks for the ideas Freheit, there's certainly a couple of good ones there!

Welcome to the team hattoncracker! Keep your eyes peeled to this thread and we should have some news very soon!

Equally, welcome to the team Skyfall! I was looking at the Torch Players and Teaspach before starting this up; it's a shame to see that they're both currently defunct; they both looked like great groups. Don't worry though, there will be plenty of craic to be had, and people of all ages (over 18) are more than welcome to drop in, and drop out.

I'm really impressed by the awesome response this thread is getting! Get ready for the excitement people, this is going to be kick-ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 xxsunshinexx

I'm still in :) exciting stuff !

Advertisement