Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking About Starting a Drama Group...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stavros440

Awesome to hear, xxSunshinexx! Keep your eyes peeled; as soon as we're ready to rock and roll I'll message everybody and let y'all know what the plan is.

In the meantime, here's a question to one and all. (And free to reply/chat to one another's responses)

What are you most looking forward to with being a member? And what are you hoping for/expecting?

(As always, if you're reading this thread for the first time and think you'd like to join, dont be shy, come say hi!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,

I would be interested, I was only talking to my mother last night about a drama theatre group. She used to be in shows years ago, they were part of a competition type thing, not the john player tops... Shiamsa or something. I went with her to practice and loved it.
    They were all amateurs and each community put on their own show.

I would love a group that put on little shows more so than workshops etc.

Hi Smiler. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'little shows', however, I have a feeling I know, so I'll try to explain.

Drama workshops, typically, involve a key theme or lesson; for example, a particular angle on character development (there are countless ways to develop characters. Everything from method acting, to using particular animal traits as inspiration for your character; a method that Clint Eastwood talked about on the Actor's Studio, I believe.).

After warm ups (which are not sports style warm ups, but warm ups for your voice and mainly your energy) the focus moves to the key lesson. What follows can often vary, but usually the group is split into smaller groups. Each team then creates a story around the main lesson/theme, or uses the main theme as inspiration for building their story and their characters. And then each group gets up on stage (or if there is not a physical stage, simply in front of the other teams) and performs their piece.

The big difference, on this front, between this group and some other groups, is that there is no competition for 'best piece' or whatever. The open and encouraging nature of the group, for those who are shy, will make it possible, if not easy, to get up in front of the rest of the group, and just try to build, for themselves, what was learned in workshop (and/or achieve the challenge they set in their own minds, during workshop; for example, staging a piece properly, creating a believable character, etc.)

Equally, on this level, many people will have been in different drama groups before, and each will have different experiences and different things they've learned along the way. Once again, to encourage the supporting and fun nature of the group, anybody who wishes to run their own workshop (during the weekly workshop) will be encouraged to do so.

I hope I've answered your question, Smiler!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

You did thank you,

By little shows I meant putting on a performance of some type as an annual thing or something. For example maybe putting on a play, or pantomime or something. With the goal of the group being learning, rehearsing etc. Nothing serious but a fun group get together. I have no experience or anything, I just always remember living for my school plays :-) and some of the theatre groups are far too serious, professional for the likes of me :-)

Oh, right, gotcha! Well, the current priority is to get the group together and settle in as a group. Following that, within the proceeding weeks/months, we'll be looking toward our first production. These are an absolute necessity in a good drama group; after all, why practice or learn if you're not going to do something with all that practice! There are several ideas bouncing around my head at present, in relation to that, so rest assured you will have productions to look forward to.

There's not much I can say on that issue, other than that. Come and have some fun with us, and when the time is right, the whispers will start about auditions for a play, or something of the kind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

Hi, I don't live in Limerick anymore unfortunately as I would love to join. I am not sure what you have planned, but I thought I would share what I remember from the group I was part of. They had two carpenters who volunteered and made the sets and traveled with the group and assembled the set for every show. We had to find our own costumes, but he had someone that could add to them and alter them a bit. He had a lighting person, he was very good (it was a hobby for him, he was not a pro).

So you might be looking for people with these skills or interests to get involved also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pandaboo

Hi everyone, idea for the drama group sounds great, it's exactly the kind of thing I've wanted to get involved in for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Sounds good! I'm a trained stage tech type yoke, sound and lighting and stage management background, have my stage pass... i had a baby recently though so had pretty much given up on it all, would love a nice relaxed no stress kinda something to be doing with myself as a passtime, would have to see what venue/times ye'd be meeting though to see could i work around with the little man and minders, but provisionally count me in too? :)

Howdy folks!!

As promised, our first workshop will be next week, Tuesday 15th. It will be in The White House Bar, on O'Connell Street. It will start at 7. I hope to see you all there!!! And anybody who has PM'd me, expect to receive a reminder of this, in the next 24 hours or so. And everybody else remember, if you can do Tuesday but dont know about your situation a week or two down the line, come anyway. We're a drop in workshop. It means you can come and go (of course we'd rather it if are committed).

Now, some general rules for workshops in The Whitehouse.

1. We intend to close the bar doors, so the general public will not see what is going down. (If you've never been there, you'll understand). All are welcome to join us, but it's a workshop, not a play. Take part or stay on the other side of the doors.

2. Alcohol during workshops is strictly prohibited. I know it might sound odd for a bar, but I am not going to encourage drinking before workshops either. You don't need dutch courage to have fun and learn.

3. If you arrive to workshop drunk, see rule 1; and take note. Drunk = you are not welcome in workshop.

4. I encourage everybody to chill out afterward, with a pint. It's not all work, and we can get to know one another after workshop.

I think you'll find these rules fair, and they will be enforced. They have been agreed with the manager of the White House, there will be no arguing.

Aside from that, see you all on Tuesday. Look forward to having some fun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dani2287

Sounds perfect, see you all there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I can't make it this week as im working late shifts in work! Damnit! :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Heya, Can;t make this week as was a bit late notice, and am working late. I will definately be there next week though. I think The White House is a good venue too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Auntie Psychotic

This still going ahead, yeah? :)

This still going ahead, yeah? :)

I assume so, I'll be there anyway!

It most certainly is!!! I'll see you all at 7!

If you can't make it tonight, I'll see you next week!

Howdy folks, just a quick heads up, I'm going to start a new thread for the group, which from here on after be known as Limerick Dramies. Thanks to Dani2287 and Auntie Psychotic for that.

Meanwhile workshop will, as always, be this Tuesday 7pm. As always, come along. We'll have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 DarraghCorrigan

Late to the party here, but I would be interested in joining this group. I couldn't find the new thread you mentioned. Will workshops be running every Tuesday in the Whitehouse?

Hi Darragh. There's no such thing as being late to the party! Yes, we are doing workshops every week from 7 in The White House Bar.

I decided after my previous post that I would start a new thread for the group after tonight's workshop. So come on down for a good time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Auntie Psychotic

Sorry couldn't make it tonight, in the process of moving house! Will see ye next week though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Hi Dramies,

I'm very interested in joining your club. I will be moving down to Limerick in a couple of weeks and am looking for a new hobby and a great way to make friends. I have no experience in drama and absolutely no idea if I would be any good or even enjoy it...? Would you be open to an undecisive dutch girl?

• Advertisement

Yes! We're a new group just starting up and many of us are new to Limerick also, everyone is welcome to come along :)

Just letting you all know that a new thread has been started under Limerick City Drama :)

If you're interested, why not add us on Facebook and keep in touch with what we're up to? You'll catch us at http://facebook.com/limerickcitydrama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Liked and hopefully see you soon!

Looking forward to it boomshakalaka!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AeiPi

stavros440 wrote: »
    I'm just gonna test the waters with this one for the moment...so give me your opinions, and most certainly, if you'd think about joining, let me know.

I'm thinking about starting a walk-in/walk-out style Drama Group for 18+. I was in a similar group in Dublin; and it made a lot of success for itself as an amateur drama group. I have met many wonderful people, and have had many amazing experiences through this group. And as such, I would be hoping to follow in their footsteps by setting up a group in Limerick. For the moment, the idea would be simple; weekly workshops; and anybody can come, have a gander and stick around if they like it. You don't have to go onstage, you're as welcome to join if you want to work backstage or just help out with the group.

Obviously, this means we'd be considering a play for some time in the near future. The mantra for plays will be quite simple; no musicals, no Shakespeare, nothing that would appear on the Leaving Cert syllabus.

So what do you think? Throw your comments out there!

Hello,

I'm interested in playing again in an amateur drama group and have found your "ad" in Google. Dunno if you have received meanwhile a stronger response (the first comments didn't look like that), but I would be happy to participate if your group is still or already running. Please let me know if there are any possibilities. Thanks.

Advertisement