Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook a shoulder of Venison pls?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me how to cook a shoulder of venison please. I don't have a slow cooker, just electric oven. Also what kind of sause should I buy to go with it? Also if i have to use stock, i'll have to buy that too. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Probably too late now but here ya go.

Venison can be dry as old boots and needs to be cooked low and slow.

Marinade a day or two in advance, red wine and oranges is good, whatever aromatics you prefer yourself.

For roasting I like to use lard. Freeze the block then cut slices of lard. Cut them into triangles then use them to lard the piece of meat.
    I use a fillet knife to slot the meat, then put a triangle of lard into each slot.
    Roast the piece at 160-180 degrees, fan assist oven or use a meat thermometer to judge doneness.

Layer streaky rashers on top if the piece is especially lean.

My favourite is slow cooker venison stew!
    Fry off cubed meat in seasoned flour, deglaze the pan with Red wine, Murphys or Beamish ( Guinness is too sour).
    Make a nice gravy with juice and wasabi paste/worcestershire sauce/pepper/cranberry jelly/soy sauce...and whatever you have in the fridge.
    Put meat and thickened juice in slow cooker with onion, carrot, spud and whatever veg. you fancy.
    Top up with a nice veg. or beef stock, not too full as the slow cooker will not boil off or reduce the liquid.
    Pour off and reduce the liquid at the end of cooking if necessary.
    Cook on low for eight or ten hours, and serve up with crusty bread, sticky goodness and the best venison I've eaten.

I've shot and eaten a lot of venison (lived on them for years when my auld lad shot them), prefer the Japs (Sika), but Fallow or Reds (Gorgeous) are delicious as well.

Very dry, slow roast or slow cooker stews are the best for flavour in my opinion.

Advertisement