Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget gaming card €150 ish ?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

It's two years since I bought my 5770 and it most charts it was the budget Best Buy at the time . I have a few euros now and was thinking of upgrading again if there was a " best bang for buck " card out there at the moment that would show some significant difference . This card still plays my BF3 grand but Company of Heroes II is on the way and the young lads pc could do with getting this one .

Currently Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on an AMD Phenom II x 4 955 3.20GHz with 8 Gigs Ram .

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jonski wrote: »
    It's two years since I bought my 5770 and it most charts it was the budget Best Buy at the time . I have a few euros now and was thinking of upgrading again if there was a " best bang for buck " card out there at the moment that would show some significant difference . This card still plays my BF3 grand but Company of Heroes II is on the way and the young lads pc could do with getting this one .

Currently Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on an AMD Phenom II x 4 955 3.20GHz with 8 Gigs Ram .

The HD 7850 would probably be your best bet you'd be just about doubling your performance over a HD5770.

The 2GB version is out of budget but you should be able to get a 1GB version delivered for a bit over 150 euros. The 1GB performs about the same as the 2GB at all resolutions up to and including 1080p.

The cheapest one I can find quickly (bit late for a more thorough search) is the VTX on amazon which should come in a shade under 160 after Irish VAT, not a brand I had come across before but apparently they are a sister brand of Powercolor who definately make pretty solid cards so I wouldn't have any worries on the quality front.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for the info ....any point holding off until after xmas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

1Gb 7850 for 152 delivered.

2GB 7850 for 169 delivered.

Use code IEXMAS7 at checkout for those prices, it takes 7 quid off.

I'm actually upgrading solely for Company of Heroes 2, but I figured I might as well wait till closer to the games release date, no telling what prices will be like then, even though I'm hugely impatient in these matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Pixmania seem to be doing some great deals with Radeon cards there, the 7870 for €190. Good 40 euro off normal prices. Wonder will they be discounted for long?

• Advertisement

1 I'm actually upgrading solely for Company of Heroes 2
    ,2 but I figured I might as well wait till closer to the games release date, no telling what prices will be like then,
    3 even though I'm hugely impatient in these matters!

1 Same ,
    2 thinking the same now ,
    3 same

I went for the 7870 OEM on Pixmania. Turns out they sent me the VTX 7870 edition instead of the OEM. Far better cooler on the VTX version. Happy days!

I ended up buying the VTX3D Radeon HD 7870 X-Edition - 2 GB , which was more than I intended to spend but I was getting a monitor and hard drive as well so the delivery was split between them and I used the xmas code so that was another bit off . I got some extra cash for xmas and I blew it all in one go but I am happy with gear and it should keep me gaming for another while .

Looks like I was sent the same card but a different product listed with 9c in the difference.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Looks like I was sent the same card but a different product listed with 9c in the difference.

Yeah, that's a funny one, people have gotten several different cards when they bought the 'OEM' one; yet to see anyone actually get an OEM card though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Yeah, that's a funny one, people have gotten several different cards when they bought the 'OEM' one; yet to see anyone actually get an OEM card though!

I wonder could it be a case of sending out any card that has too many in stock .

Advertisement