Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS 6850 in crossfire??

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Is this first off all a good idea?
    I see a lot of people talking about micro stuttering in the mid/low range cards so is it pointless even CF these cards?

2nd is it possible to do this on my rig, I know the mobo can and the card can CF, but can the PSU handle it? What make me think it can is THIS, But
    would the cpu be a bottleneck like people talk about?

MB = Asrock 970 emtreme3
    CPU =AMD phenom II x4 955 be OC@4ghz
    ram = 8gb corsair 1600 @ stock
    PSU =XFX Core Edition PRO650W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How much does a 6850 cost? About €90 second hand I think.

If you sell your 6850 and add what you were going to spend on a second 6850 to that you have €180 to spend on a single card.
    That's probably a better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ya, that's a fairly old CPU, not a bottleneck right now with your setup but it could be with an upgrade.

I think a single 7870 would be a decent upgrade. I'd sell the 6850 and go for a 2GB 7870, Pixmania have them from about 182E.

If you got 80 for the 6850, which is about as much as it's worth in my opinion, an extra 100 for the 7870 isn't the worst upgrade path...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'd be fine with 650W either way. I think you could even squeeze two 6850s into 450W.

Yeah, a 7870 would also be a good option. You'd have to research to see which is better, although I suppose you might be able to pick up a 6850 cheap and get good value out of it.

I don't think the CPU would hold you back when it's overclocked that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leoh

hmmm I'm not too sure what to do now.
    A few people have CF the 6850 and they seem ok with it, when asked they did say "the micro-stuttering was there" but it didn't really bother them. They went very convincing about doing it.

So even though it would be the slightly cheaper and handier option atm, I think I'm just going to hold on for a while yet and get a 7870 and then maybe crossfire them in the future, but then all this micro-stuttering craic comes up again.

would the cpu hold back the 7870 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

No, the CPU won't hold you back - yes, a better CPU will give you better framerates, but you'll see a much greater increase with the card upgrade and the CPU is more than enough for the bulk of today's games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement