Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first apartment on my own

Options
  • 18-12-2012 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi there!

I am buzzing at the moment, because I think I've found the perfect little one-bed apartment or myself - it'll be my first time living in my own place and I can't wait!

Going back to have a second look in a day or two, and as there's rely no friend or family member nearby I can bring along with me to view it, what should I be looking out for & what are the important questions to ask?

I think I've covered the obvious things on my first viewing but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Let me know if ye need more info about the apartment/area!

K x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have a quick read of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=144568 it's long, but has a lot of things you should be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The most important thing I think you should ask yourself is whether a 1-bed is going to suit you long term? After all, once you buy a place and take a mortgage, you might find yourself tied to it for a while.

Many people in Ireland bought 1 bed apts when they were single and are now married and maybe have kids too, and they have no space.

If it was me I would probably avoid a 1 bed. If you have your mind set on an apt, perhaps try to get yourself a 2 bed minimum? After all, even if you remain a singleton for a long time, a 1 bed doesn't even allow a friend to stay over, unless one of you fancy sleeping on the sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

NIMAN wrote: »
    The most important thing I think you should ask yourself is whether a 1-bed is going to suit you long term? After all, once you buy a place and take a mortgage, you might find yourself tied to it for a while.

Many people in Ireland bought 1 bed apts when they were single and are now married and maybe have kids too, and they have no space.

If it was me I would probably avoid a 1 bed. If you have your mind set on an apt, perhaps try to get yourself a 2 bed minimum? After all, even if you remain a singleton for a long time, a 1 bed doesn't even allow a friend to stay over, unless one of you fancy sleeping on the sofa.

I'm renting, and a one-bed is definitely the right way to go for the time being at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My advice to you as a first time renter is to go onto sites like Citizens Information and Threshold and read up on your rights as a tenant. Know what is legal and illegal. Before you sign your lease go through every line of it with a fine toothcomb and question every single part of it. There are a lot of landlords out there who either have no clue or no regard for the tenancy act and the rights that it affords tenants, so know where you stand before agreeing to anything. Renting is a business arrangement; make sure you approach it as such.

When viewing a property again go through it with a fine toothcomb; check all the fittings, fixtures and applicances in advance and make sure that everything is working to your satisfaction. Do not listen to promises or excuses; if something is not working when you move in then chances are it is not going to get fixed any time soon, no matter what the landlord/agent might say. If they make any promises do not hand over cash or sign the lease until the promise has been fulfilled.

When you move in go through every room and take pictures of every inch of the place (walls, floor, fittings etc). List every flaw and defect in the apartment and get the landlord/agent to sign it; this will be vital for when you move out as they will most likely try and pin any defect on you as a means to reduce the amount of deposit they have to give back.

Make sure that you know the area that you are moving into and what the complex/neighbours are like. Ask around in advance, talk to people. Once you sign a fixed term lease its very hard to back out of it, so make sure that you are fully aware of what you are getting into. If possible, ask for a break clause in the lease after say 3 or 6 month; this will give you a legal out if you do experience problems (but just be aware it will also give the landlord a legal out).

Basically the moral of my story is to cover yourself and know where you stand! Im aware that I am making it out to be a bit doom and gloom but in reality it probably wont be that bad! Most landlords are fine and the majority of tenancies go off without a hitch, but its important to cover yourself and know where you stand so that you dont have to come back here in a few months time asking for advice about a nightmare landlord or how to get out of a fixed term lease.

Most importantly, if anything at all strikes you as funny about either the landlord or the property walk away immediately; do not sign a lease unless you are 100% happy with both the landlord and the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, go back to daft, and put the amount that the apartment is renting for, but do not select how many bedrooms you want. You may find a two bed (which has a small box room, maybe) for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, go back to daft, and put the amount that the apartment is renting for, but do not select how many bedrooms you want. You may find a two bed (which has a small box room, maybe) for the same price.

Absolutely. Chances are youll probably get a nicer 1 bed for the money than you will a 2 bed but its worth checking out. I dont think I would survive in a 1 bed; there isnt nearly enough room to put all my crap! My first place was a 2 bed with a decent sized second bedroom that I used as an office, and a seperate storage room (as opposed to a closet), that cost roughly the same as most 1 beds in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

kat.mac wrote: »
    I'm renting, and a one-bed is definitely the right way to go for the time being at least!

Check what direction all windows are pointing, first place I got I didn't think of that and for a year lived in a place facing north where I got no light or heat. Even in winter a nice south facing apt will warm up when the sun is out so you won't have to spend a fortune heating the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭kat.mac

the_syco wrote: »

Thanks! Did that, have found another place to look at :)

Advertisement