Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox for 13/14 year old

Options
  • 18-12-2012 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi - looking for an xbox for a 13/14 year old. Went to media markt. Way too many choices. Dont have a clue about xbox. Thought there was only one. Kid doesnt seem to know too much about the difference between them either when standing in front of them - is dyslexic (though bright as a button) if that makes a diff. He wants the 250gb memory - but they nearly all have that, so that is not a problem.
    Would be grateful for advice - kinect he sayd the word is no good for kinect,slim - hes not sure, bundles, etc.etc etc. I googled - some say slim best others, others say kinect best - others say other types best.
    Do they need to confuse us like that? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The kinect is a motion sensing camera used with the xbox to play some of the games, only really worth it if the kid is into jumping around the place and you have a largish room , most I know with kinect will say its gathering dust.

The xbox itself, the slim is the newer quieter model, more reliable too. In terms of memory 250gb is the best option as you can install the games etc to cut down on noise and wear and tear on the console.

Have a look in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056829361

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

calex71 wrote: »
    In terms of memory 250gb is the best option as you can install the games etc to cut down on noise and wear and tear on the console.

Can you install games from disc and play without the disc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Reati wrote: »

Can you install games from disc and play without the disc?
    No. You need the disc. But installing the game will reduce the sound from the xbox and reduce load times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

MOONlit wrote: »
    hi - looking for an xbox for a 13/14 year old. Went to media markt. Way too many choices. Dont have a clue about xbox. Thought there was only one. Kid doesnt seem to know too much about the difference between them either when standing in front of them - is dyslexic (though bright as a button) if that makes a diff. He wants the 250gb memory - but they nearly all have that, so that is not a problem.
    Would be grateful for advice - kinect he sayd the word is no good for kinect,slim - hes not sure, bundles, etc.etc etc. I googled - some say slim best others, others say kinect best - others say other types best.
    Do they need to confuse us like that? thanks
    do all xbox users a favour and monitor what he is doing online, there is a trend that young teens get into where they get abusive to general users and scream down mic etc

just said i would say what most xbox users were thinking reading xbox and 13 or 14 year old.. lol

remember do not buy him shooter games really not suited to age category

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

Thanks for helpful reply. Ready to buy now - but wondering whether a 12/14 year old with an xbox is unusual, inappropriate even? ( bar the forbidding expense!)
    Just concerned with Dark knights comment. I dont want to get him something too previous for his age.thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

nah, Xbox is fine for 12/13 yr olds, just keep an eye on and observe the age restrictions on games before buying them. kids playing 18 rated games online is possibly the biggest annoyance to adults on Xbox live

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

MOONlit wrote: »
    Thanks for helpful reply. Ready to buy now - but wondering whether a 12/14 year old with an xbox is unusual, inappropriate even? ( bar the forbidding expense!)
    Just concerned with Dark knights comment. I dont want to get him something too previous for his age.thanks

ah no sorry dont let me put you off..

just remember you can set console etc with parental controls..

i just said monitor his play etc he will love the xbox trust me its a fantastic machine...

best of luck to you btw.. if you need any more advice on console ask here any of us would more than happy to oblige questionwise and advice wise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I know 8 year old girls from very respectable homes who play on xbox live
    It is safe and if you want you can add parental controls and most games now have a choice to turn off mature content.

You are best off buying a 250GB slim xbox

Dont buy a kinect,if he liked that sort of thing he would have asked for a nintendo wii instead.

Buy him a headset, preferably one which transmits chat and game volume
    This way he can play with friends online and will not need his tv volume at all as it will all go through the hedset. This type of headset will be a tritton or turtlebeach (check argos)

He will need a xbox gold membership code also if he wants to play online with other people.These can be purchased in most big stores or online or on the xbox with a credit card (But I suggest you check adverts or this thread.

If his controller is wireless which it will almost definitely be you will want to get a play and charge kit so you dont need to keep buying AA batteries.

Games I suggest are

Call of Duty black ops 2
    The online versus takes time to learn but there are plenty of co-op modes he can play as part of a team against the computer controlled players and a great story mode.

Gears of war 3
    Great story and co-op modes and a multiplayer mode that is fun very quickly.
    Most players I know from the gears of war genre started playing at 12-15 and some still play 6 years later.

Both these games have previous versions that are very similar and are about 10 euro pre-owned in gamestop.

That should be everything

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

thank you. Thats great.

Advertisement