Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What electrics could a mechanic replace for $40 that improved performance?

• 18-12-2012 8:49am

Cb400 randomly wouldn't start for a few mins on sunday and same yesterday.. Press the starter and nothing. Took it to the mechanic yesterday who spent two hours soldering and messing about around where the fuses are under the seat section.

The only translation I got was "charger" and "bike k slow but not good fast". Charger made me think alternator but the second part made me think ecu.. Final bill $40. I didn't watch properly so no idea what it looked like any the bike does feel nippier. Gf said it's a bit quiter and smoother.

What ya think he did?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Coulda been the CDI unit but that's just a wild guess.

Ah, went back today to pay and he pointed it out in a book.. Didn't think there was a chance he'd have it.

Rectifier Regulator.. A quick Google search seems to say that it can affect performance. Happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

The reg/rec is part of the charging system, when it goes your battery usually isn't getting enough charge. Not sure of the results of that other than usually the battery goes flat, but I'm guessing it could mean that there's a weak spark or some cylinders failing to fire.

I think every Honda I've ever owned I've had to replace that. €40 is a great price! last time I was looking for one it was €60 spurious and €300 genuine honda (for a Blackbird).

Yeah he's a cool mechanic.. Only about three mechanics in Hanoi that can do bigger bikes and he never charges for bits of labour. Even today, he did the chain while I way paying.

Here's a quote from a website.. Guess the power to the sparks might be getting interrupted.

The regulator/rectifier (or reg/rec) converts the power the alternator generates into the voltage the bike needs. The rectifier part converts the AC (alternative current) to DC (direct current) and the regulator stops the voltage going higher than a certain amount, typically 14.5V for a CBR250. If the reg/rec dies, it usually stops power getting through, or it doesn't limit the voltage .

If the voltage gets too high, the battery boils and is damaged, and all the bulbs in the bike will burnout, including the headlights, tailights, instrument backlighting etc... Worst case, you get a few nasty spikes through and the engine controller and tacho will die [xx(].

If the voltage gets too low, the bike will have trouble idling, may not start, you might not be able to rev very high, lose performance and have missed ignition events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Didn't spot you are in Hà Nội, I'd love to be back there with a bike, 2 degrees C here this morning :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement