Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 Broadband Talk Service

• 18-12-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Does anyone use the Net1 Voice service and if so how do you find it?

I am having a lot of issues with mine and to be honest I'm starting to loose faith in Net1 full stop as their support is just terrible (Shouldn't have paid in full up front :mad:)

Anyway, Net1 VoIP service. I am constantly getting breakups when on the phone and I have checked with my router manufacturer (Draytek 2850Vn) and they say that I have everything set up correctly for QoS for VoIP.

If you have this service and are happy then can you post me your setup specs please, router, VoIP adapter (if using), voice codec, Packet size, how many phones connected etc.

I would really like to try everything before I pull the plug with Net1 and head back to eircom with my tail between my legs. As I can't get any support from Net1 themselves then hopefully some of you guys can share your experience and setup with me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

mcquaim wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Does anyone use the Net1 Voice service and if so how do you find it?

I am having a lot of issues with mine and to be honest I'm starting to loose faith in Net1 full stop as their support is just terrible (Shouldn't have paid in full up front :mad:)

Anyway, Net1 VoIP service. I am constantly getting breakups when on the phone and I have checked with my router manufacturer (Draytek 2850Vn) and they say that I have everything set up correctly for QoS for VoIP.

If you have this service and are happy then can you post me your setup specs please, router, VoIP adapter (if using), voice codec, Packet size, how many phones connected etc.

I would really like to try everything before I pull the plug with Net1 and head back to eircom with my tail between my legs. As I can't get any support from Net1 themselves then hopefully some of you guys can share your experience and setup with me.

Thanks
    Apart from the VoIP service, how do you find their internet service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

It is fine, not brilliant. I am paying for 6Mb up and down but I'd be lucky if I'm getting 3Mb down.

Apart from that it does the job but just hope you have no issues cos its like pulling hens teeth getting help from them..

Anyone else use their VoIP service?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Now that they've realised that pretty much every customer with them is with them because they cannot and never will get broadband (probably half of the households in the north-east have their "box at the bottom of the road" over 5km away from their house!) and the midband reception across the region is virtually nil they have a total monopoly and can just take the p!ss. I'm still paying nearly €50 a month for a package that's been downgraded to having 33% of the bandwidth it had 18 months ago which in this modern high-content era of digital downloads is pretty much a joke - I know people in good reception areas who have faster download speeds over midband!

I didn't even realise the scope of the problem until I fired up Steam repeatedly over the last month and noticed the oddness from NetBalancer - around 18 months ago my package was listed as "10Mbps minimum" (sans contention ofc) and I had download and upload speeds of 10-12Mbps (1.2-1.5MB/s). Now my package is listed as "6Mbps maximum on a day when the pigs fly in great flocks across the sky" and my speed is hard-capped at 4Mbps (500KB/s) on a good day with no contention. The irony is that back in the day I never really needed to download stuff at speeds of 1MB/s or more. Now with YouTube, Steam and internet bloat in general I could really use that speed, but my connection has been quietly crippled and is no longer fit for purpose. And with my (and most other peoples') other option being "broadband" boasting awesome speeds of up to 1Mbps (~120KB/s) on a really good day (this is what >5km of low-grade copper cable does to you - we can barely use our landline ffs) we're trapped on this one ISP and boy do they know it! :mad:

Solitaire wrote: »

Now that they've realised that pretty much every customer with them is with them because they cannot and never will get broadband (probably half of the households in the north-east have their "box at the bottom of the road" over 5km away from their house!) and the midband reception across the region is virtually nil they have a total monopoly and can just take the p!ss. I'm still paying nearly €50 a month for a package that's been downgraded to having 33% of the bandwidth it had 18 months ago which in this modern high-content era of digital downloads is pretty much a joke - I know people in good reception areas who have faster download speeds over midband!

I didn't even realise the scope of the problem until I fired up Steam repeatedly over the last month and noticed the oddness from NetBalancer - around 18 months ago my package was listed as "10Mbps minimum" (sans contention ofc) and I had download and upload speeds of 10-12Mbps (1.2-1.5MB/s). Now my package is listed as "6Mbps maximum on a day when the pigs fly in great flocks across the sky" and my speed is hard-capped at 4Mbps (500KB/s) on a good day with no contention. The irony is that back in the day I never really needed to download stuff at speeds of 1MB/s or more. Now with YouTube, Steam and internet bloat in general I could really use that speed, but my connection has been quietly crippled and is no longer fit for purpose. And with my (and most other peoples') other option being "broadband" boasting awesome speeds of up to 1Mbps (~120KB/s) on a really good day (this is what >5km of low-grade copper cable does to you - we can barely use our landline ffs) we're trapped on this one ISP and boy do they know it! :mad:

Man, sounds like you have had enough even more than me..

Your speeds are still way better than what I can get off them, at best 2.5-3Mbps down and 4-5Mbps up.

I am in the middle of the sticks so the copper alternative speeds for me just were not up to it for working from home..

Do you use the VoIP service from Net1?

I'm trying to figure out if the breakups on our calls is on my end or theirs. I suspect it is some rubbish setup on the Net1 side but I don't know how to check/confirm this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Btw eircom are obliged to fix voice quality problems with phonelines - and fixing such problems will often resolve broadband availability problems!

• Advertisement

Btw eircom are obliged to fix voice quality problems with phonelines - and fixing such problems will often resolve broadband availability problems!

I don't use an eircom line anymore. Net1's talk service is ran over their line-of-sight masts like their broadband.

The thing is, I used a trial number for about a month before porting my eircom number across to Net1 and it worked perfectly. Something must have changed recently.

I thought lots of people would have used their service to not have to pay eircom's rip-off line rental..

Advertisement