Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holiday entitlement

• 18-12-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I work in a convenience store open seven days a week. I work five days a week with two days off. These two days are assigned as per the roster, they vary.

Anyway whenever I book a holiday and take a week off Mon-Sunday I'm countd as using 7 of my holiday days. What I am wondering is, is a weeks holidays seven calender days or five working days.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

a holiday day is one calendar day. The only way 7 days leave would be used is if you were scheduled to work 7 days that week. So from what you have said the holidays are being allocated incorrectly.

Just check what way the roster week is split - if could be that by taking Mon-Fri off you are splitting your leave over 2 roster weeks. If so, they might take 7 days leave from you, but then the next week give you 2 extra days off paid. Probably not, but just check it first.

You are entitled to 20 days paid leave provided you work 1365 hours in a year. They should not be counting weekends, or days you would not normally be rostered as part of these 20 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How many days annual leave do you get?

You're required to get 20 ... but maybe they allocate you more (eg 25) to make up for the way their rostering system handles the 7-day week nature of the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the info guys. We dont have contracts but informally it was mentioned that we get 21 days holidays a year.

So for example if I were to ask for three days off next week I would work Mon-Thurs and then Friday, Saturday and Sunday would be marked as holidays thus deducting from my 21 days. My standard days off would be converted to holidays thus losing two days I would have gotten off that week. Likewise is I were to take two weeks off from work it would be 14 days holidays from my 21 days.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I think I get you..

You work 5 days over 7.

Your week is probably either SUN -MON or MON - SUN

If I was doing your holidays I would count one week (7days off) as 5 days holidays used from your 21 days annual allocation.

Two weeks holidays is 10 days holiday pay, but actually 14 days where you don't work.

This is the way I've worked it out in many retail jobs, and in many many years no HR company has ever questioned my calculations.

I'm not 100% but I think it might be right, hope it kinda makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sounds like you're being screwed alright. If I was requesting a week's holidays, I'd request it as "I would like the 5 days off that I will be rostered for between (for example) December 3rd and 9th"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

What about bank holidays? Do you get them off as standard or are you given days in lieu?

Advertisement