Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sport classes for 3 years old around Dublin 13

Options
  • 18-12-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

My son (will be 3 in February) has loaaaaads of energy and I'm trying to find a class that will allow him to get the steam out while being more structured than a run in the park.
    I work full time so I need to find a class at the weekend. I can drive (Portmarnock, Malahide, Swords, Dublin 5, Baldoyle, etc)

I checked Little Kickers but I can't afford the 143€ plus 24€ reg fee for the 12 weeks. My daughter does ballet and the 12 weeks are 100€ which would be the most I can spend

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

take him swimming - it should well tire him out and probably works out much cheaper and better value than an organised class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Kids play centres are brilliant. I'm in D15 so probably out of the way for you but there is one just off the M50 in Finglas. The kids get to go mental for an hour or two while you can sit with a coffee and a newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

take him swimming - it should well tire him out and probably works out much cheaper and better value than an organised class.

If you teach your kid to swim he'll thank you for years. I'm trying to help a 27 year old learn at the moment and she's incredibly jealous of all the lessons I got as a chiseller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

eviltwin wrote: »
    Kids play centres are brilliant. I'm in D15 so probably out of the way for you but there is one just off the M50 in Finglas. The kids get to go mental for an hour or two while you can sit with a coffee and a newspaper.

When was the last time you were at that one in Finglas? If it's the Hurly Burly it's closed down about a year or so now...

There's Fun Galaxy in Swords though.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Thanks

I should have mentioned: he hates the pool. Every time I bring him he only manages 5mn (screaming) in the water. The changing room is freezing so it doesn't help

We go to Fun Galaxy and Kids Zone in Swords, and they are brilliant, but I really need something where he gets structure, as in working as a team, obeying rules, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

These guys: http://kyuzogym.com/childrens-jiu-jitsu/ run classes for 4 years old and up. Based in Glasnevin. Wednesday evenings and Saturdays. One of the coaches posts on boards and it's supposed to be a good club. I don't know what pricing is like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Have you looked into Playball? 10 week term is €70-80 which is very reasonable. The kids in a creche I worked in did this, they cater from 2 years plus. It is a great programme. As far as I can see this one is based in South Dublin but they may have another group running on the North side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cheekyred

My son is four and like yours has bundles of energy, I also felt it was important for him to join a team sport. I would highly
    recommend Trinity Gaels grass hoopers club aimed for 3-7 year olds , where children learn the basics of sport in a fun & games structure. It is held in Trinity Sports & Leisure club every Saturday morning 10-11am at a cost of only €2 per week . Its finished now for christmas but if you ring the sports centre in the new year they would be able to let you know when it starts back 01-8474161.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Do 3 year olds have the ability to work as part of a team? Most team sports really only start around 6ish, so in the meantime it might be better to work on stability and coordination?

If he doesn't take to swimming much then maybe gymnastics? There's a place in the Baldoyle Industrial Estate just down from the Badminton Centre called Arabian Gymnastics (http://www.arabiangymnastics.com/) and they seem to take kids from very young. Don't have any personal experience of them but from their website they seem to look good.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've contacted Ruglets.ie and they currently don't have classes on the Northside. Arabian Gyms are briliant but only do classes Mon to Friday as the room is used for birthday parties at the weekend.
    Playball don't have anything on the Northside :(

He is still too young for Kyuzo but I have bookmarked their page, it looks great and exactly what a child might need in terms of self discipline

Grasshopers website says from 4 years old but I'm trying to reach them to see if they could take him from 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

have you tried little kickers ?
    I am fairly sure there is one near you, also there is rugbytots ( I am sure there is one in Malahide )

Little Kickers were my first call but as mentioned I can't afford their fees. Still waiting on Grass Hoppers info
    The Rugbytots look great, thanks!

Advertisement