Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of Sligo

Options
  • 18-12-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a book on the history of Sligo town? Its more the town than the county as a whole that I'm interested in.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

I lost an entire evening to this book, sat down to read it around 6 thinking I'd flick through it, next thing I knew it was 11pm!

http://streetsofsligo.com/

It's so thorough, so indepth, and so so fascinating if, like me, you have an interest in both history and social changes. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it if you feel like spoiling yourself.

Otherwise, ask in Liber bookshop, they're great for both local books, and local knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

itac wrote: »
    I lost an entire evening to this book, sat down to read it around 6 thinking I'd flick through it, next thing I knew it was 11pm!

http://streetsofsligo.com/

It's so thorough, so indepth, and so so fascinating if, like me, you have an interest in both history and social changes. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it if you feel like spoiling yourself.

Otherwise, ask in Liber bookshop, they're great for both local books, and local knowledge!

+1
    Definitely the most in-depth history of the town.
    Brilliant read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I keep meaning to get that book, it looks so good when browsing. Fair play to Fiona.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Thank you so much guys - will def look to get this one for xmas :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

heard of this meant to be excellent i'm going to pick up a copy
    libra book shop on o connell st have a good selection of books on local history

some fascinating books on sligo history, i read the Innismurray Island Voices one, easy to get through and great stories in it, same author joe mcgowan wrote echos of a savage land, loads of the old stories and myths etc.

"the gore-booths of lissadel" is a great account of a very interesting family as well as an account of how the estate was run and relationships with the tenants etc. didn't think i'd enjoy it but an excellent read

[SIZE=+1][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+3][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]then my favourite of them is a book that i'm pulling a complete blank on, its an account from a young boys point of view who moved to north sligo with his family and his father was a local doctor and died. its about how he falls in love with the land, the mythology and spiritualism of the land and people. google ain;t helping me either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

It's probably Sligo, Land of Yeats' Desire by John Cowell. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

genie wrote: »
    It's probably Sligo, Land of Yeats' Desire by John Cowell. :)

boom! that's it,thanks, wonderful book

Advertisement