Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christmas parking in trim beware

Options
  • 18-12-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

once again trim councillers are happy slapping themselves on the back for another great achievement they have come up with
    30 minutes free parking
    well here is the ugly side they have not told you
    they have not given any free parking in the castle street area ie/ the car park at the castle probably the most used park in the town
    so be aware folks as we do not have a council with the spirit of xmas

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Makes their "Shop Local" signs a total joke. Between planning permission refusals, and crap parking policy, Trim shopping is a non-runner for me I'm afraid. Might as well be nailing its own coffin shut.

Shame, as I love this little town overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Head over to Navan, free parking for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

From the Chronicle:

Trim Town Council has announced that all town centre car parks - Castle Street, Emmet Street, Haggard Street and the car park at the swimming pool - will be free for the three weeks before Christmas, from Monday 5th December.

Cathaoirleach of Trim Town Council, Cllr James O'Shea, has welcomed the news, which is aimed at facilitating Christmas shopping in the town.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

dr. gonzo wrote: »
    From the Chronicle:

Trim Town Council has announced that all town centre car parks - Castle Street, Emmet Street, Haggard Street and the car park at the swimming pool - will be free for the three weeks before Christmas, from Monday 5th December.

Cathaoirleach of Trim Town Council, Cllr James O'Shea, has welcomed the news, which is aimed at facilitating Christmas shopping in the town.

Have you a link to that? First I've heard of it, wasn't publicised locally much if at all (I certainly didn't see anything about it). I usually look at the Chronicle online every few days, never saw it online either.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

try parking in the castle car park without a ticket and see what happend better still contact trim town cc and see what their official response is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

PauloMN wrote: »
    Makes their "Shop Local" signs a total joke.

shopintrim.jpg

These ones? State of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Have you a link to that? First I've heard of it, wasn't publicised locally much if at all (I certainly didn't see anything about it). I usually look at the Chronicle online every few days, never saw it online either.

I was in one of the shops recently, and the woman there told me about this, and mentioned a few people had commented about there being no signs to tell people about free parking, and the meters are still switched on during "Free parking".
    I'd just paid in the castle car park.

To be honest, I think the price of parking in Trim is fair, and I dont mind paying it at all, but its offering free parking in a begrudging manner that makes you think they should shove it. Either do it or dont, but dont do it and then hope nobody knows so parkers still end up paying.

In comparison, the parking meters in Navan have big festive red covers over them, so you cannot put money in, instead they just say Happy Christmas.

I've done all my Christmas buying in either Navan on Blanch. Shame, I pity some of the local shopowners in Trim who really try hard and have good shops, but I genuinely think the town itself is really not helping them.

Check out the towns super cool Christmas decorations too, the ones on Emmett Street are genuinely depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Archeron wrote: »
    In comparison, the parking meters in Navan have big festive red covers over them, so you cannot put money in, instead they just say Happy Christmas.

I've done all my Christmas buying in either Navan on Blanch. Shame, I pity some of the local shopowners in Trim who really try hard and have good shops, but I genuinely think the town itself is really not helping them.

Navan 1 : Trim 0 :D

Finally... we get one up on Trim! :D

kc66 wrote: »
    shopintrim.jpg

These ones? State of them.

:D Well it wasn't those ones I was talking about, but they are shocking alright!! Could they not have prepared better for a photo shoot than a two minute job in MS Word and three sheets of A4? :eek:

The ones I was referring to are on the approach roads into town, mentioning shopping locally, saying something like there's a lot available in Trim etc.. That's all very well, but completely confusing parking policies is just negating any positive publicity.
    I was in one of the shops recently, and the woman there told me about this, and mentioned a few people had commented about there being no signs to tell people about free parking, and the meters are still switched on during "Free parking".

To be honest, I think the price of parking in Trim is fair, and I dont mind paying it at all, but its offering free parking in a begrudging manner that makes you think they should shove it. Either do it or dont, but dont do it and then hope nobody knows so parkers still end up paying.

Check out the towns super cool Christmas decorations too, the ones on Emmett Street are genuinely depressing.

I don't mind paying for parking either if I'm there for a while. Thing about Trim is, and I say this as a resident, often times I need to maybe only spend 10/15 minutes nipping into a shop or two, and I think having to feck about with change, parking tickets etc. just puts people off tbh. It certainly did for me, I'd be more inclined to get my bits and pieces while out somewhere else like Navan or Blanch than to nip down to Trim. Since they (finally) reintroduced the 10 minute grace period, I've definitely shopped in town more, and a half-hour free parking policy I think would help greatly.

I also think Trim Town Council have a nerve to charge anything for the "car park" that is the old swimming pool site. Expecting people to pay for parking their car in what is essentially a dirty, puddle and pothole ridden building site is completely ridiculous. We also have to use this messy site to access the recycling facilities. At least surface the area to some degree so that you don't drag muck all over your shoes and car when parking there.

My wife just told me she reckons it was 30 mins free from early Dec, and completely free from today up to Christmas. She only reckons she saw that on a sign in the newsagent beside Supervalu, not completely sure of the details. But my main point remains, very few people knew about the free parking arrangements and I reckon the town's shops will have suffered because of it.

As for the decorations, yeah some of them aren't great, Emmet St. is like a time warp back to the '80s. Some very simple/plain white nets of lights across the street would be much nicer. I suppose it's all about costs, but like the parking issues, it's amazing how much more appealing small changes can make to a place to entice the locals/shoppers into town.

you need to check the date on that article in the chronicle
    cllr williamm bligh is the current Cathaoirleach of trim trim town council
    that item you have posted on was last years
    should have gone to specsavers hehe

• Advertisement

vinn wrote: »
    you need to check the date on that article in the chronicle
    cllr williamm bligh is the current Cathaoirleach of trim trim town council
    that item you have posted on was last years
    should have gone to specsavers hehe

I didn't post it, if you read my post which you've quoted, I'm asking for a link to the information that dr. gonzo posted.

Maybe you should go to Specsavers. ;)

I didn't post it, if you read my post which you've quoted, I'm asking for a link to the information that dr. gonzo posted.

Maybe you should go to Specsavers. ;)
    my apologies merry Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

It is the shop owners on Emmet St that are having to fork out for the lights there. Next time you are on the street check out how many closed shop units or pubs there. Less businesses means less money towards lights or more contribution from each unit. I still shop in 4 or 5 of those businesses on a fairly regular basis but the street has become a bit drab. No reason imo to stop giving my business to those shops though.

I don't want to have a go at you for no reason but in your post you say that you have done all of your shopping in Navan or Blanch yet you think Trim has good shops and you don't have an issue with the parking charges. Well then why haven't you seen fit to give at least some business to Trim shops?

I work in Dublin and have bought quite a bit in Dublin or online but if there is anything that I know would be available in Trim I try and buy there. This afternoon I went into 3 shops to buy an item that I know I could get in Dublin after work on Monday and reminded my daughter that we need to show loyalty to our local shops. In my mind that is despite the efforts or lack of efforts of the local council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Another point, I think that it is ridiculous that each street do their own thing regarding the Christmas lights. Would it not be better for the town council and the chamber of commerce to get together and organise for the WHOLE town with an appropriate contribution from all businesses?

Advertisement