Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding and lining up with the runway for landing

• 18-12-2012 12:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I guess this doesnt matter what flight sim you're using but FWIW Im using X-Plane 9.

I'm a casual flyer and Im looking for tips on how to find and line your aircraft up for landing. I gathered from YouTube about lashing the ILS code into your Nav computer but that doesnt tell you how to find and line up your approach in the first place.

Any help appreciated, its pretty gungho at the mo!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Hmm I don' fly a lot of FSX more the combat sims but I normally fly a compass heading to the approx location of the airpot and then
    look at the map and look for recognisable landmarks such as roads, intersections, rivers, mountains etc identify them on the ground and then line up with the runway.

Do you not have charts, nav aids etc in FSX ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You need a chart basically, every airport is distance but if you are able to set yourself a 7 (ish) mile final before taking up ILS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

VOR and NDB's are usually to be found on or near airfields - use a chart/mapping program to find the one you want and fly to it! ;)

You could also use GPS, or even visual navigation if your scenery is up to it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Most flight sims have a map which can show airports, NDBs, VORs, GPS fixes and ILS feathers. Use the map to plan your route. Learn what each of the navigational instruments in your cockpit is for. Part of the fun of flightsimming is learning how pilots do it in real life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks guys. Still trying to learn about VOR & NDB and how to use them via the autopilot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

Hi faceman

My way to line with runaway is quite simple, you only need to watch ILS needle on HSI and know your runaway approach bearing.
    Lets say airport is ahead on the right hand side on 040 bearing.
    Approach airport for 10nm (according ILS), start circling on that distance (keep runaway bearing 040 on 3 o'clock on your HSI). When ILS needle on your HSI point your runaway bearing - turn right 90 degrees. - you are on the straight line for landing.
    :D

Hope I helped a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

klub44 wrote: »
    Hi faceman

My way to line with runaway is quite simple, you only need to watch ILS needle on HSI and know your runaway approach bearing.
    Lets say airport is ahead on the right hand side on 040 bearing.
    Approach airport for 10nm (according ILS), start circling on that distance (keep runaway bearing 040 on 3 o'clock on your HSI). When ILS needle on your HSI point your runaway bearing - turn right 90 degrees. - you are on the straight line for landing.
    :D

Hope I helped a bit.

Cheers i'll try this! :)

Ok I messed up a bit.
    Came back from work, sat down in my plane and realized that I made mistake in my prev.post.
    proper order is:
    Approach airport to 10nm.
    then turn to have your ILS needle on 3 o'clock on your HSI
    Keep turning and maintenance 10nm distance and ILS needle on 3 o'clock.
    When runaway bearing on HSI will overlays with ILS needle on 3 o'clock, make 90 degrees turn in ILS direction.
    Seen some YT clip about that, let me know if still confused, I'll try to find it.
    Cheers

Check this tutorial
    Guy is using TACAN, but the same rule applies to ILS, or waypoint marker on your HSI.
    http://youtu.be/W9U_0sr1cng

Cheers

Advertisement