Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On Demand & Sky Store

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Can anyone help me, I'll outline my problem

• Got a sky+ box
    • Got Broadband
    • Got the sky wifi box connector to hook sky+ box and broadband up together. So far so good. I can download box sets etc from the on demand section no problem.
    My problem is using the sky store section, it tells me I need to connect my sky+ box to an operating telephone line. I have spoken to sky customer services and they tell me the only way to use the skystore is indeed to connect the box up to a phone line.

I am crazy or something, this makes no sense, I can happily download from the on demand services through wifi but I can't though the sky store. All I'm doing is downloading data from the internet, why is it different for the both services? The purpose of the wifi connector box I bought from sky was to avoid loads of cables running from my rooter (which is beside my phone) to my tv box as they are in different rooms. But to actually use the whole service I have run those cables anyway. what's the point of the wifi connector box then?

I feel i've been ripped off to be honest, it €12.99 so not a big hit, but I'm in shock that this could possibly be the case, surely someone somewhere has got a solution to this??

Thanks for you help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

maybe something to do with SBO billing?? all the other on-demand stuff is free
    <just guessing>

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dino7

dmeehan wrote: »
    maybe something to do with SBO billing?? all the other on-demand stuff is free
    <just guessing>

Correct.

Pay per view purchases require an active phone line to return the billing information to Sky so you can be charged.

The nice thing about the service is you only get billed if you actually view the movie - you're not billed if you record it and don't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Quick question you guys might be able to answer-I have a 2 way line splitter from my wall,1 going to the phone,1 going to eircom router.How do I connect phone line to Sky box to access Sky Store/Box Office??Is there a 3 way DSL splitter available?Will that slow down my broadband?
    I tried adding a 2 way adaptor into 1 of the ports but it didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

toby2111 wrote: »
    I have a 2 way line splitter from my wall,1 going to the phone,1 going to eircom router.How do I connect phone line to Sky box to access Sky Store/Box Office??

Connect your Sky telephone socket to the "phone" side of your existing 2 way splitter/filter.

You can use another splitter (a straight forward splitter, no need for DSL filter), available for quid or two in the euro shops, some Tescos, etc.

So you'd be going from...
    Socket  [FILTER/SLITTER]  --> Phone
                              --> Modem

... to ...
    Socket  [FILTER/SLITTER]  --> [SPLITTER]  --> Exsting Phone
                                              --> New lead to Sky box
                              --> Modem

Any standard/cheap telephone extension chord (also available in Tesco/euro shops) would do the trick.

Of course you can get an electrician to wire it up properly & neatly if you're not of the DIY ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Thanks cgarvey-I was obviously putting the splitter into the "modem" port!!Do I have to ring Sky now to activate Sky store?
    Also,will this slow down broadband?Hope not.Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement