Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing operating system and BSOD

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Restarted my computer (Windows 7) this morning after removing a program to come back and find ''Missing Operating System''. I then restarted the laptop and clicked f4 which brought me to the Samsung recovery mode or something like that. This didn't do much so I put the CD that came with it in and booted it from that in normal mode.

I was able to sign into the laptop but when the desktop screen loaded up the icons where there but their text was missing. I wasn't able to do anything after this then I got the BSOD.

I restarted the computer and managed to access the system recovery options. I then went through the start up repair but that hasn't changed anything. I then tried a system restore but when I clicked on it nothing was happening.

Im at a complete loss although I do get the feeling that the hard drive is knackered.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Restarted my computer (Windows 7) this morning after removing a program to come back and find ''Missing Operating System''. I then restarted the laptop and clicked f4 which brought me to the Samsung recovery mode or something like that. This didn't do much so I put the CD that came with it in and booted it from that in normal mode.

I was able to sign into the laptop but when the desktop screen loaded up the icons where there but their text was missing. I wasn't able to do anything after this then I got the BSOD.

I restarted the computer and managed to access the system recovery options. I then went through the start up repair but that hasn't changed anything. I then tried a system restore but when I clicked on it nothing was happening.

Im at a complete loss although I do get the feeling that the hard drive is knackered.

It does sound like the hard disk, I would start by running diagnostics on the drive using something like Vivard (available on UBCD). Of course, prior to do this, I would reccomend backing up using a Linux live disc (if possible) like Ubuntu onto an external hd

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I wouldn't even know where to begin with running a diagnostics on the drive or knowing how to back up files. Is it still possible though that I could save all of my music and stuff ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I wouldn't even know where to begin with running a diagnostics on the drive or knowing how to back up files. Is it still possible though that I could save all of my music and stuff ?

If you have an external hard disk, and another machine to burn and download a Ubuntu live image onto, you can use this guide to use it for recovery purposes

Nick

Advertisement