Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle-o-bucky down the Sp'arch -The Galway City General Chat Thread

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, as I am sure most of you are aware, pretty much every forum on boards as a General/off topic chat thread for their regulars to have nice little chats about those little things that don't really deserve a thread of their own or don't fit into any current thread. Well, we don't have one, well, we didn't until now.

So, wondering where to find a good cup of coffee?
    What time the alteration shop on Eyre street closes on a tuesday?
    Want to know if anyone fancies going for a beer and watching the football/rugby/whatever?
    Or just fancy having a wee chat with the locals?

Well this is the place for it!

I'll start, anyone have any fancy a few quiet ones at some stage this week to escape the madness that is Christmas organisation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wouldn't mind a couple in the beer tent Friday (my last day of work this year yay)
    Pricey stuff though so I'm easy about where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

It annoys me that the beer tent does not stock any cider. Except that heated stuff which is absolutely manky and way overpriced.

It's a fiver for a pint of Bulmers in at least some city pubs now. Scary times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

So, wondering where to find a good cup of coffee?
    What time the alteration shop on Eyre street closes on a tuesday?
    Want to know if anyone fancies going for a beer and watching the football/rugby/whatever?
    Or just fancy having a wee chat with the locals?

1. Insomnia - Easons in Galway Shopping Centre
    3. Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

You couldn't have picked a better thread title :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I disagree.

While the idea behind the thread is an interesting one, the title, though well intentioned, coujours up one of the images that give the city a poor reputation.

The sight of people swigging out of bottles of Buckfast down at the Spanish Arch (and elsewhere) brings nothing but shame on the city.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lapin wrote: »
    I disagree.

While the idea behind the thread is an interesting one, the title, though well intentioned, coujours up one of the images that give the city a poor reputation.

The sight of people swigging out of bottles of Buckfast down at the Spanish Arch (and elsewhere) brings nothing but shame on the city.

Seriously...
    27430162.jpg

Right, well, on thursday I will be going to my usual haunt, the salt house, to partake in their new cask milk chocolate stout.
    Anyone who wishes to join is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Lapin wrote: »

Ah come on, there's nothing nicer on a summers day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Seaneh wrote: »
    Seriously...
    27430162.jpg

There was one, but they took it away :pac:

Excellent threat title!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

ciano1 wrote: »
    Ah come on, there's nothing nicer on a summers day! :D

To right can't beat swigging out of a nice expensive bottle of B. None of that cheap Blossom Hill or Jacobs Crack $hite please!!

Great idea for a thread by the way. Final night for me in the beer tent. Will miss them stein glasses after Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Have to say I'm not a big fan of the tent. Novelty is nice, but the music is **** and too loud and the place is generally uncomfortable. Don't mind going in the afternoon sometime, but when it gets to evening I stayed clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Few beers on one of the rare hot summers days that you also happen to have off work. When the planets align like that, you have to praise the day with a few cans/bottles/whatever at the Sparch or you jinx it.

Plus the sparch is far from giving the city a bad rep, it's the heart and soul of the city, it's a lot of what Galway is about. For the most part, people who drink there look after it, use the bins and don't make a mess. In return, we only get moved on around 10 or 11pm when the residents complain. Even then, it's grand if you move down to the Claddagh.

Negative craic, Lapin, serious negative craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Did anyone think the ad on the cover of the Advertiser today was a wee bit disturbing? It was advertising a weight loss treatment and showed a lady that was presumably someone who had used it.

You can look at it here: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?pbid=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35

Frankly, that lady looks borderline ill and the idea of 'healthy body image' seems notable here only by its absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Mr_A wrote: »
    Did anyone think the ad on the cover of the Advertiser today was a wee bit disturbing? It was advertising a weight loss treatment and showed a lady that was presumably someone who had used it.

You can look at it here: http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?pbid=a2fc81f2-0ccf-4dbf-aca1-00bedf4bde35

Frankly, that lady looks borderline ill and the idea of 'healthy body image' seems notable here only by its absence.

Just had a look at it, and the person is very thin, but to be honest the photo itself looks photoshopped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Gotta agree. She is skeletal.

There's slim and there's trim but she is looks anorexic.

Even if it is photoshopped that picture doesn't do her (or the fad she is promoting) any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭barry181091

First blue sky I think 'ive seen in Galway in the past three weeks! Nothing like a blue sky to pick up your ma mood! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

First blue sky I think 'ive seen in Galway in the past three weeks! Nothing like a blue sky to pick up your ma mood! :D

wow that must have lasted all of 30 minutes before the rain came back today. What a summer! but it finally arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I felt such a sudden boost in energy today.
    It took me a while to figure out why but then I realised - the sun shone in through the window.

For the day that's in it I thought we should celebrate the liberation of our lovely city with our national drink in our special place of worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Have to say, I'm missing Galway this weekend; Arts Festival, Grizzley Bear, sunshine, walking down to the Spanish Arch but meeting someone outside Neachtains for a chat and a sneaky pint...ye have it good! Enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

There really is nothing quite like Galway during the Arts Festival. I saw a group of people yesterday, sitting on the ground outside Lynch's Castle just sketching away, not a bother on them. 20 metres down the road, a guy didgeridooing whilst someone juggled. Good times!

In other news, that levitating guy was outside the pharmacy at the corner of Church Lane. The crowd of people gawking on in amazement was so thick that I couldn't get past. For Christ sake people, he had a wire in plain view going up under his robe...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There really is nothing quite like Galway during the Arts Festival. I saw a group of people yesterday, sitting on the ground outside Lynch's Castle just sketching away, not a bother on them. 20 metres down the road, a guy didgeridooing whilst someone juggled. Good times!

In other news, that levitating guy was outside the pharmacy at the corner of Church Lane. The crowd of people gawking on in amazement was so thick that I couldn't get past. For Christ sake people, he had a wire in plain view going up under his robe...
    never understood the allure of the floating guy, hes sitting on a small bench, its there when he starts and finishes, people aint always the smartest in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

tumblr_lrmgd0zvJf1qd1ct1o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've often wondered about the sand sculpture guy outside the O2 shop. I've never seen him do anything except finishing touches....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

True that! Probably some factory in Taiwan making dog shaped sand castle buckets.
    Heard a story yesterday about a certain 'not very good' busker making comments and pulling faces behind one of the new 'not too bad' arrivals outside Colies.
    The lad could be in for a surprise behind himself some day during one of his 'performances' if he doesn't cop on that he has never been anything even close to watchable/listenable to for the locals over the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

True that! Probably some factory in Taiwan making dog shaped sand castle buckets.
    Heard a story yesterday about a certain 'not very good' busker making comments and pulling faces behind one of the new 'not too bad' arrivals outside Colies.
    The lad could be in for a surprise behind himself some day during one of his 'performances' if he doesn't cop on that he has never been anything even close to watchable/listenable to for the locals over the last year.

Does he not have learning difficulties of some description? As in a mental disability. And im not being smart(for once).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've seen him do it from start to finish.

However I think it's some sort of franchise where you buy the bits and pieces and a video to learn. I'm only saying that because I've seen the same thing in Leeds, London and Edinburgh in the past few years with different people making them.

Anyone heading in today for the street theatre? I'm really looking forward to the trapeze in the square at 4pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does he not have learning difficulties of some description? As in a mental disability. And im not being smart(for once).

Not this guy anyways. Apparently he was just pissed off that a blow-in had got the spot before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I've seen him do it from start to finish.

Really? Ive only ever seen 'the finishing touches' moves as well, patting the sand smooth and all. Must look closer next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Eek! It's not you, is it? :pac:

Advertisement