Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple mince meat ball dishes

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hi all once again

just bought some mince meat as i had planned to to make shepards pie but if i can get some ideas on meat ball reciepies id change the dish

can anyone give me ideas and keep it simple,,,something thats gonna make my mouth water:D

cheers b

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

One i've done a few times that's fairly easy. Mix mince with a few crushed cream crackers, dollop of dijon mustard and an egg and maybe some seasoning to your taste. Roll into balls, not too big or they'll take a while to cook.

Fry a diced onion with some chopped basil, clove of garlic and maybe a chopped chili. Add/remove chili, garlic, basil to you taste. Fry for 6-7 mins until the onion browns.

Make a simple sauce using a can or two of chopped tomatoes, drop of balsamic vinegar, small bit of tomato puree, and then add onion/chili/basil/garlic and simmer for 10 mins or so. Cook some pasta or spaghetti. Add meatballs to sauce for a few mins then serve.

I saw the basis of the recipe somewhere a year or two ago in some cookbook and have altered it slightly to my taste since then. I can't give exact measurements and I change it as I go along most times! Two cans of tomatoes, an onion and 450g of mince usually gets me 4 meals from it. Enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

All the best meatballs use two meats - the addition of pork mince or sausage meat will make the meatballs a hundred times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

is it possible to use tomato soup as well as chpped tomatoes in the tin

It might be, I never tried it, it might make the sauce fairly runny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

As long as you reduce the sauce down it should be fine. Its essentially the same as adding a jar of passata, consistency wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    One i've done a few times that's fairly easy. Mix mince with a few crushed cream crackers, dollop of dijon mustard and an egg and maybe some seasoning to your taste. Roll into balls, not too big or they'll take a while to cook.

Fry a diced onion with some chopped basil, clove of garlic and maybe a chopped chili. Add/remove chili, garlic, basil to you taste. Fry for 6-7 mins until the onion browns.

Make a simple sauce using a can or two of chopped tomatoes, drop of balsamic vinegar, small bit of tomato puree, and then add onion/chili/basil/garlic and simmer for 10 mins or so. Cook some pasta or spaghetti. Add meatballs to sauce for a few mins then serve.

I saw the basis of the recipe somewhere a year or two ago in some cookbook and have altered it slightly to my taste since then. I can't give exact measurements and I change it as I go along most times! Two cans of tomatoes, an onion and 450g of mince usually gets me 4 meals from it. Enjoy :D

That's a Jamie Oliver recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

:D

fussyonion wrote: »

Very likely! I seen it in a cookbook and I have one of his books at home along with 7 or 8 others! :D

Yeah it's a gorgeous recipe..The meatballs are devoured in our house when I make them..have you tried his home made burgers too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

All the best meatballs use two meats - the addition of pork mince or sausage meat will make the meatballs a hundred times better.

+1 on ground pork. Ground veal or lamb too as a third meat is also good but for me meatballs need both beef and pork in equal portions.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I love homemade meatballs. I make mine as follows:

1lb beef minced
    0.5lb pork minced
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    Large handful of breadcrumbs
    About two tablespoons of freshly grated parmesan
    One tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley
    0.5 teaspoon of italian mixed herbs, herbs de provence or similar
    Garlic salt
    Pepper
    Few dashes of tabasco

Mix all ingredients in a big bowl using your hands until well mixed
    Shape into evenly sized balls
    Place on a plate or tray, cover with cling film and chill for two hours
    Brown well on all sides in a frying pan - I do about 6 - 7 balls at a time
    Place the meatballs in a deep casserole dish of thoroughly heated tomato sauce of your choossing.
    Don't mix them through, just leave as is.
    Place in a moderate oven, uncovered for 30-40 minutes.
    Serve with spaghetti. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Manzoor14 wrote: »

Cream crackers! What's the deal with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

dvpower wrote: »

Cream crackers! What's the deal with that?
    Same idea as bread crumbs. They bind meatballs well because they are so dry. Anyone got any different ideas what to do with meatballs beside serving them with a tomatoe sauce and spaghetti?

You can make the meatballs as normal, but serve them with some creamy mash, green veg and a nice gravy?

Yeah it's a gorgeous recipe..The meatballs are devoured in our house when I make them..have you tried his home made burgers too? ;)

Not sure about the burgers, might have done, I've tried to make home made burgers myself a few times, not sure where I spotted the recipe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Bassfish wrote: »
    Same idea as bread crumbs. They bind meatballs well because they are so dry. Anyone got any different ideas what to do with meatballs beside serving them with a tomatoe sauce and spaghetti?

We're fans of Sweet & Sour meatballs here. Fry off your meatballs made from a basic mix of beef & pork, soaked breadcrumbs, egg and seasoning then make a Sweet & Sour sauce with a tin of pineapple in juice, heaped tsp of cornflour, soy sauce, some brown sugar and a yellow pepper. Serve with some chopped scallions.

I've the quantities somewhere if you want a detailed recipe but I normally just throw it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Make your favorite meatballs. I brown mine in the oven then drop them into nice beef gravy toss in a handful of rice and let cook slowly. Eat as they are or put on a nice toasted sub bun. I do cabbage rolls in a beefy broth instead of tomatoes, sometimes for a change.

Advertisement