Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bully - PS3 edition

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭

Rockstar's excellent last gen game Bully has been rated for PS3. Dunno if it's a HD remake or not but im mad to play it again. I read an interviewa few months back saying they would love to go back to the bully series after GTA 5. Releasing the old one could go with a nice annoincement of a possible sequence.

I would love to play this again, anyone else?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it's far and away Rockstars best game. The smaller world is more detailed with better characters and you are much freer to cause mischief which is what sandbox games should really be about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love Bully - it's a playful, smart and very entertaining twist on the Rockstar formula. It's one of their best games no doubt, but 'far and away' their best? Red Dead Redemption would like a word about that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love Bully - it's a playful, smart and very entertaining twist on the Rockstar formula. It's one of their best games no doubt, but 'far and away' their best? Red Dead Redemption would like a word about that...

It had a good story and well designed missions but the open world really wasn't well utilised and was quite boring. Bully I thought did sandbox a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It had a good story and well designed missions but the open world really wasn't well utilised and was quite boring. Bully I thought did sandbox a hell of a lot better.

All my friends say this to me as well :( I was never board once playing the game, i put a lot of hours into it. I loved just roaming the vast land

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I never finished Bully so would really like to get it again. With any luck, we will get a Warriors HD remake as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nope, sorry, can't accept that the Red Dead sandbox wasn't well utilised. It's the Western frontier - a huge, empty landscape populated by a man and his horse is one of the defining characteristics of the 'genre'. Rockstar nailed that sense of barren desolation with sweeping plains and amazing sights, but still provided an atmospheric world full of worthy distractions and diversions. Dens of inequity, well hidden treasures, damsels tied to railtracks, roaming unbroken horses... it was a brilliant sandbox, perfectly in tune with the stories and settings that inspired it.

Bully was equally brilliantly designed, and rightly confined to a smaller space. They both succeed expertly at what they set out to do, even if their individual goals are notably different.

When I got asked to do the same random mission for the 5th time it stopped being fun. The open world for me was just somewhere to travel to get to the next mission, nothing more really other than a few ok side diversions.

Being empty and lonely might have been thematically accurate but I had more fun doing rotten egg drivebys on my pushbike at random passersby.

Redemption also relies too much on combat for near all its missions and to be honest the combat in rockstar games is usually terrible. At least in Red Dead it was a massive improvement and fun but not quite there yet. I preferred the variety of missions in Bully.

Both great games but I just had a lot more fun with Bully.

Funny that I much prefer the Rockstar games from the studios that don't do the GTA games :) The less said about crappy Manhunter the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Rockstar's excellent last gen game Bully has been rated for PS3. Dunno if it's a HD remake or not but im mad to play it again. I read an interviewa few months back saying they would love to go back to the bully series after GTA 5. Releasing the old one could go with a nice annoincement of a possible sequence.

I would love to play this again, anyone else?

source ?

great game,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I never finished Bully so would really like to get it again. With any luck, we will get a Warriors HD remake as well.

Yeah same here on both part.

Got quite far into Bully on PS2 though my time keeping was terrible so always kept missing the classes. Really did like the setting and it had some great characters.

Didn't get to play alot of the Warriors but for reason the mission/mini-game where you had to steal car radios always stuck in head (I liked using the anologe sticks to twist the screws!).

Red Dead is next on my list though (one of the reasons I bought a PS3 again!)

Edit:
    source ?

great game,

Link to Source - Also say Vice City Stories has been rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bully? No such game was released here, now Canis Canem Edit, there was a great game :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

^^^I was just going to say. Although, was it not released a Bully and very quickly changed to Canis Canem Edit? Can't quite remember.

What i do remember is a great game which, for some unknown reason, i didn't play a whole lot of. Was there something else out around that time which might have got my attention more (in PS2 terms?).

Hopefully it's a HD remake, would love to actually play through it and finish it. And now that SA is re-released, when are they releasing Vice City for this gen that's not on a poxy tablet? Especially with Stories being rated.

When the game was re-released on Wii, PC and 360, it was 'Bully Scholarship Edition' as opposed to Canis Canem Edit on the PS2.

Oh, and since it already exists in PC and 360 form, there technically is a 'HD remake' already. Although baffling that they'd only release the PS3 version now - years after even the first re-release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hmmmm, I remember I got it for the PS2 as a present. I enjoyed it when I played it, but for some strange reason, I didn't play much of it at all.

I think I might see if I can pick up a copy of it for the 360 and give a run through over Christmas. Thanks for the reminder Sheehy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

ShaneU wrote: »
    Bully? No such game was released here, now Canis Canem Edit, there was a great game :pac:

Wasn't it released as Bully: Shcolarship (or something similar) Edition here on Xbox 360? I've got the PS2 Edit, and I've been treathening to replay it for quite some time now. Secretly though, I'd love to just pick it up on 360 and play through it there instead.

Lads im fairly sure it said bully on the front of the box.

I saw rockstar got some other games rated for ps3 as well. Midnight club, mc 2, mc 3, vice city, red dead revolver.

I would love to play manhunt again.

Original PS2 release:

canis-canem-edit.jpg

360 / PC / Wii release:

1246785966-00.jpg

This is difficult enough to get for the Xbox now.

Tried my local Gamestop, HMV , etc, no joy. I expected as much considering the 2008 release date..... but it's not available on amazon.co.uk, Argos, Smyths, Gamestop.ie, Gamesnash.

Any suggestions where to get my hands on a copy?

I saw rockstar got some other games rated for ps3 as well. Midnight club, mc 2, mc 3, vice city, red dead revolver.

I would love to play manhunt again.

Ah, man, I played the hell out of Midnight Club 2. Loved that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i liked the game a lot but after the story finished there wasn't much to do.

i would LOVE a warriors remake. that game was brilliant! i love what they did with the story and the analogue sticks. im so pissed off i sold that game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

I didn't like it the first time round, only played it for a bit. I was put off by the fact that you control a guy who seems to be an utter scumbag, wayne rooney lookalike. I thought it would be a bit more lighthearted.

I only played it for a couple of hours. When you get into it does it get better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Rooney10 wrote: »
    This is difficult enough to get for the Xbox now.

Tried my local Gamestop, HMV , etc, no joy. I expected as much considering the 2008 release date..... but it's not available on amazon.co.uk, Argos, Smyths, Gamestop.ie, Gamesnash.

Any suggestions where to get my hands on a copy?
    It's €10 on Xbox marketplace until December 31st.

GRMA wrote: »
    I didn't like it the first time round, only played it for a bit. I was put off by the fact that you control a guy who seems to be an utter scumbag, wayne rooney lookalike. I thought it would be a bit more lighthearted.

I only played it for a couple of hours. When you get into it does it get better?

Well you judged the game all wrong then and probably only played a few minutes of it because the guy you play is against the bullies, something the tabloids also failed to pick up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well you judged the game all wrong then and probably only played a few minutes of it because the guy you play is against the bullies, something the tabloids also failed to pick up on.
    I played it for about an hour - I remember a mission where i had to make some poor guy cry?

If you end up beating the crap out of bullies then I must give it another look!

GRMA wrote: »
    I played it for about an hour - I remember a mission where i had to make some poor guy cry?

If you end up beating the crap out of bullies then I must give it another look!

As Retr0 said, you've got it all wrong here, man. You do look like a bad guy in the beginning, and from what I call recall you've got a bad history too. However, you spend the majority of the game standing up for the little guys and beating the crap out of the real sumbags. You're not a GTA gangter in this one.

It's €10 on Xbox marketplace until December 31st.

Oddly enough, the last place I'd think of looking...generally the games on demand are quite expensive to the point where I've completely forgot about it as a resource (Max Payne, FIFA Street - 59.99)...but €10, can't go wrong for that. Thanks, looking forward to getting my hands on this now.

Holy crap, playstationer.net just said canis canem edit is on ps store right now for a tenner. You have to search for it, can anyone confirm?

Holy crap, playstationer.net just said canis canem edit is on ps store right now for a tenner. You have to search for it, can anyone confirm?

Yup: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/12/19/heads-up-store-update-19th-and-21st-december-2012/

PS2 version for the same price as the Scholarship Edition on 360? Bit of a short shrift for Playstation owners, TBH, although I guess a cheap release from Rockstar's perspective.

Well I was expecting it to be 15 quid so thats good but I really to play the extended edition, sounds like they made some good additions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I had this on XBox and was loving it until 50% of the way though I hit a game halting bug which affected a ton of people. 18 months after release, it still hadn't been (and was clearly never going to be) patched. Completely unacceptable as far as I'm concerned and many curses were levelled at Rockstar for that - mostly because it had been one of the most enjoyable Sandbox games I'd ever played up till then.

• Advertisement

Anyone get this today, thoughts on it. Last gen games tend to be seen through rosey glasses until played again. Im broke til after Christmas so wil be waiting for the new year.

Advertisement