Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovering Trad: Seeking advice on what music to buy.

Options
  • 18-12-2012 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello All,

Despite the fact that I have always generally liked trad music when I've heard it on the radio or tv, I have never investigated or bought trad music and I know very little about it.

Now, however, I want to start listening to and building a collection of Trad Music. My problem is that I know what I like but I do not know the terminology or who/what to buy.

Although I like jigs and reels, and all recommendations for this type of music are welcome, my favourite is slow lamentful traditional music played on the Uilleann Pipes or the Low Whistle.

So, Could some of you trad officianados out there point me the way of some good music I'm likely to like? No Synthesizers or Orchestras please.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Jesus! 23 views and not one suggestion between you! Was it something I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

If its uileann pipes your after, Liam O Flynn would be the main one. Seamus Ennis is another off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I know you said no orchestras but the Brendan Voyage by Shaun Davy featuring Liam O Floinn shows what a good piper can do with an orchestra behind them.

The Chieftans with Paddy Maloney on the pipes has a more trad feel to it though they often stray into music types with great results.

Moving Hearts did a lot of tracks with Davy Spillane on the pipes and in my opinion are well worth listening to.

Have a look over on www.tradconnect.com to see plenty of videos of trad music an there's always youtube. A search under uilleann pipes will give you a good idea of whats out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lowlife

Do/can you read sheet music?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Don't forget Peter Brown as well. He's a great piper. Michael McGoldrick is excellent on flute/low whistle and quite innovative along with it.

You'll rarely find an album 100% full of slow airs so take that into account. Listen to the guys mentioned here and get out to sessions and speak to musicians. If your in Dublin get yourself along to the Pipers Club or give them a call or look them up on the web to see what sessions they've got on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

squonk wrote: »
    Don't forget Peter Brown as well. He's a great piper.
    I suspect you mean Ronan Browne, Ronan is one of the great pipers, Peter Brown on the other hand is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Yup nutz! I meant Ronan! Too used to hearing Peter name dropped as a producer on trad shows on R1!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Malpaisian

Thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

squonk wrote: »
    Yup nutz! I meant Ronan! Too used to hearing Peter name dropped as a producer on trad shows on R1!

Peter is also a fine piper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....multi instrumentalist featuring mainly banjo and guitar but also flute and very worthwhile looking into. Based in Philadelphia with a Mayo ancestory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Three pipers : Paddy Keenan, Mick O'Brien and David Power. Any album by any of these would be a good buy. Also don't forget the Chieftains and the Bothy Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnMoncton

Dave Mallinson has a bunch of sheet music collections with CDs, with names lke '100 Vital Irish Session Tunes.'
    They're pretty much all played on the D/G melodeon with minimal accompaniment, so they're great to learn from.

Advertisement