Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Window Sill

• 18-12-2012 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

My bathroom is arranged in such a way that every time someone takes a shower water gathers on the wooden window sill and I can see it's starting to damage it. What's the best way to protect the sill from rotting? Is there a protective cover I can get or would some kind of varnish be better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

You can buy a PVC Window Board and just Glue it to your existing Board.
    It's quite an easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If you do as above silicone around it to seal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

No matter what you do you have a disaster on your hands. You may be able to protect the window cill itself but unless you reseal its perimiter on an ongoiung basis you run the risk of having water get under the cill and down to any room below. I have seen this on so many occasions. I did see one person get the wall cladded in fibreglass tanking and then tiled over it and it appears to work but if you ever get the chance to remodel the bathroom you should.

I would assume the bath was originally not fited with a shower as otherwise this layout is criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kkelliher wrote: »
    No matter what you do you have a disaster on your hands.
    Disaster? Drama queen:rolleyes:

OP, sky6 & akwels replies above should sort you out. Just to add, when you fit the PVC board, fit it so that any water will flow from window to front ( angle it slightly with silicon packing underneath )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

Cool cheers guys! @kkelliher Layout is a bit ridiculous alright but we're getting the ensuite done next year hopefully so won't be using it as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

Had same problem i put In a granite cill. Cost €40 installed it my self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

sky6 wrote: »
    You can buy a PVC Window Board and just Glue it to your existing Board.
    It's quite an easy fix.

Can I ask where in Dublin you can buy PVC window Boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

wait4me wrote: »

Can I ask where in Dublin you can buy PVC window Boards?
    Any pvc supply outlet. Ie anyone that sells fascia and soffit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Any builders providers, I think I even saw some in b&q. You might be able to get a smaller length in b&q.

Advertisement