Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tuf season 17 jones. sonnen

• 18-12-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Do you think sonnen should get the title fight against jones just because he the coach on tuf. How had Sonnen got another title fight after coming off the loss against Silva

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

He talked his way into it, plain and simple. But aswell as that, if you're to believe Dana White, Sonnen was the only one willing to step up at short notice to take a fight with Jones.
    Either way, Sonnen did nothing to deserve the fight. There are a couple of guys who should have been put forward first instead of being skipped over.
    In my opinion, if I was a 205er, I'd be pretty insulted to be skipped over in favour of a loudmouth who's not even in my weight class.
    In saying all that though, I do like Sonnen and ill be rooting for him against Jones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

It's gona be fun and Sonnen has no chance in hell AND it makes a complete mockery out of the 205 division, but who cares, because nobody including the over rated Gustafsson has a bleeding hope in hell of beating Bones, BAR a lucky punch from Machida or Glover Texeira... speaking of which both of those would decimate Sonnen in one round, KO, goodnight.... but so would Mousasi, Rua and Gustaffson.

Bader, Davis and Te Huna I could see Sonnen giving a decent account of himself and possibly beating. Evans I'm not so sure about... his stand up would win it most probably... and he'd be insulted if you offered him the fight.

Sonnen's chances against Top 10 205ers in my opinion

1. Jon Jones - ZERO chance (most laughable match up I've ever seen in the UFC bar none....in 14 years of watching MMA)

2. Rashad Evans - little chance

3. Lyoto Machida - very little chance - would get KO'd early

4. Phil Davis - decent fight... would love to see this fight

5. Alexander Gustafsson - no chance in hell - would be destroyed

6. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua - very little chance... even a mostly burnt out Rua would laugh all over Sonnens stand up - TKO - early

7. Gegard Mousasi - little chance - KO (Mousasi is still under rated... see UFC 2013!)

8. James Te Huna - decent fight

9. Ryan Bader - decent fight love to see it

10. Glover Teixeira - no chance in hell Glover would EAT him - Glover is really in there at 3 or 4 by common opinion I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Carvin

It'll sell because Chael attracts crowds with his trolling.
    It'll also add another great name to Jone's resume in the long run.
    There is the question mark of why Jones refused to take the short notice fight.

When was deserving a title shot ever the criteria for one in the UFC anyway?

ah I don't know that most title fights were not good matches.... I reckon 90% of title match ups in the modern UFC were deserved. It's the bullsh1t ones which wreck the validity of the concept and this fight (bar the Jones refusal to take the short notice fight) has no validity. Jones beats Chael 99/100 by any expert opinion - that is no match up. There are 10 fighters with more chance at beating Jones than Chael... even if it is always going to be a slim chance. Anyway it ain't a perfect world and I'll be as interested in the build up and total let down of this whole circus as anyone else. Just lie to yourself that Chael has a chance, it's easier that way. I actually think Rory McDonald would beat Chael easily even if Rory was 170 and Chael 195-205 (or any weight he liked) and god knows Jones would massacre McDonald... just a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Carvin

ah I don't know that most title fights were not good matches.... I reckon 90% of title match ups in the modern UFC were deserved. It's the bullsh1t ones which wreck the validity of the concept and this fight (bar the Jones refusal to take the short notice fight) has no validity. Jones beats Chael 99/100 by any expert opinion - that is no match up. There are 10 fighters with more chance at beating Jones than Chael... even if it is always going to be a slim chance. Anyway it ain't a perfect world and I'll be as interested in the build up and total let down of this whole circus as anyone else. Just lie to yourself that Chael has a chance, it's easier that way. I actually think Rory McDonald would beat Chael easily even if Rory was 170 and Chael 195-205 (or any weight he liked) and god knows Jones would massacre McDonald... just a point.

Maybe not most, but there's been ridiculous choices.

Brock was 2-1 (1-1 in the UFC) while there was already an interim championship.

Bottom line is the UFC is a promotion, not a sports regulator so profit is more important than integrity.

There's no one really to fight Jones anyway, Gust has just fought and Hendo is injured. At least this will sell some views.

Also saying Rory would beat Chael seems like a serious stretch. Rory has beaten a LW and a tired overweight BJ. Chaels been around a long time and in the last 3 years has beaten most top MWs and come closer than anyone to dethroning Silva.

The fight itself shouldn't be too bad. Some flashy striking from Jones since he has little to fear and a lot of TD attempts by Chael. Jones via sub or KO in the first two.

• Advertisement

Rory McDonald beats Chael in my opinion. He's a huge 170er and better than Chael everywhere the fight goes IMO. I hate McDonald and love Chael but McDonald knocks him out or wins with strikes to a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Surprised this wasn't posted already:
    Dana White has sparked interest in series 17 of The Ultimate Fighter, revealing one contestant sends every opponent to hospital.

White could be accused of trying to raise interest in TUF following a dire 16th season, but the UFC president insists he will be proved to be telling the truth when the series airs.

"I know you guys are going to call bulls**t on me and all that," White said. "[But] This next season is so awesome and so badass. We have a guy on this season of The Ultimate Fighter, every fight he's in, someone goes to the hospital.

"The whole house is terrified of this guy. F***ing terrified. Everybody.

"I picked this fight, and this guy is lined up with the guy I'm telling you about, and the guy has a nervous breakdown in the house over the weekend. Has a f***ing nervous breakdown. Freaks out and has a nervous breakdown.

"This guy scared the living s**t out of everyone. It's awesome."

Link

Have to say it's sparked my interest!

Advertisement