Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Galway on 125cc?

• 18-12-2012 3:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31

Google maps say it would take two hours or so to do this journey but I would think it would take a bit longer on a 125?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

The road from Dublin to Galway has a lot of motorway; Google maps is assuming you're using a car that's capable of cruising at 120km/h.

If you have a decent amount of experience you should know how far you can ride and what your average speed going to be and what your tank range is. Apply this experience to the distance you're going to ride.

Not all 125cc machines are equal - top speed, power, comfort and range vary greatly. Speedos can be wildy off target - telling you your're hitting 100km/h when it's more like 80.

Plan ahead - nothing worse than freezing your balls off on a motorway hard shoulder cos you've broken down, got a puncture or ran out of petrol.

Low capacity bikes often have poor illumination and it gets dark very early.

You're going to need more breaks on a small bike. Plan your fuel stops. Consider non motorway options as its going to be more pleasant on a small bike.

Check the weather - a strong headwind, or sidewinds, can really hamper you.

Don't let me put you off - i've ridden long distances 125 and 200cc scooters. Holland on a PX-125 - Galway is not going to be a problem. Low capacity bike touring is nice during the summer - long distances in the depths of winter not so nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

My brother in law used to do the M50 on a 125 Varadero. It would be OKish in decent weather but once he got a decent headwind it was torture, as the bike couldn't keep up with traffic.

As Killgore Trout said use old N roads, even on a decent bike motorways are a PITA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I used to drive daily down the M50 on a varadero 125. Not a problem, just stay in the far left lane.

I drove from Athlone to Dublin on the Varadero 125 once. It was grand. A bit boring though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I used to drive daily down the M50 on a varadero 125. Not a problem, just stay in the far left lane.

I drove from Athlone to Dublin on the Varadero 125 once. It was grand. A bit boring though.

How many fuel stops then???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Google maps say it would take two hours or so to do this journey but I would think it would take a bit longer on a 125?

What do you think?

Stay off the motorway imho.......

Mind you, I delivered a new truck from Galway to Dublin yesterday. Electronically limited to......90km/h........your 125 would have been quicker. Mind numbingly boring.

2.5 hrs btw...no stops. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

I have a friend who did Ennis to Maynooth twice a week while in college.

As above plan, be careful and be all over maintenance as parts of the road are very quiet places to be stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My arse is sore just thinking about it. The distance sign creeping down so slowly....
    Of course it can be done, my mate went from Dublin to Cork on a 50cc scooter. But google maps is doing a car average speed, something that can easily do 120kph. If your max speed is 95kph there'll be a big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Cienciano wrote: »
    My arse is sore just thinking about it. The distance sign creeping down so slowly....
    Of course it can be done, my mate went from Dublin to Cork on a 50cc scooter. But google maps is doing a car average speed, something that can easily do 120kph. If your max speed is 95kph there'll be a big difference

Sweet mother of god :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Was that legal then,with regards a 50cc scooter/moped and a motorway???

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/general-rules.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

paddy147 wrote: »

Since most of the Scooters sold here don't meet the Moped classification, which nobody seems to care about including the Gardaí and insurance companies, and I've regularly seen combine harvesters/cyclists on them I don't think anyone actually cares about the restrictions.

Also that fact that there's no minimum speed limit on a motorway kinda of defeats the purpose of restricting vehicles not capable of exceeding 50km/h from them. It's perfectly legal for me to drive my car or motorbike at 5km/h on a motorway and if I wanted to do this in the rightmost lane all the other traffic has to travel at that speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Perhaps they didn't use the motorway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I used to do Dublin to Nenagh and back again on a 125cc Varadero

Just stay left, you'd be struggling badly to overtake anyone in the other lane and then you are caught as you have to back off and go back to the left lane

Wind is a big factor too, that trip is South West so you're facing the wind most every time.
    And crosswinds on Nenagh bypass were a bitch!

Used a 100cc Hond Lead scooter on the M50 many times.
    Could do 80km comfortably so enough speed for the left lane.

Biggest problems was windy days and lorries overtaking you.
    The wind would have you swerving, a scooter is just so light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I did 180 km on a 125 varadero down to Wexford for the Ploughing Championship this year. It's a long time, but it's good craic. Just do it, what's the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It wasn't on the motorway, it was on the old road

How many fuel stops then???

I had to fill up in Mullingar because when I left the tank wasn't full. Good range on that 125. About 70mpg easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

What power is a 125 Varadero cos my SV650 restricted would be no problem at all on a motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Varadero is about 13bhp and gets about 170 out of a tank from what I can remember. Top speed was close to 70mph.

That's all things being equal.

Bhp is probably less unless its brand new and speedo can't be trusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Gerry Manders

Hi Guys, all went well. Did the journey in under 2.5 hours. A fantastic experience and no upsets. Fuel gauge stopped working when I got home but apart from that all went well. The bike truly is a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Fair play. Glad you enjoyed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Varadero is about 13bhp and gets about 170 out of a tank from what I can remember. Top speed was close to 70mph.

That's all things being equal.

Bhp is probably less unless its brand new and speedo can't be trusted.

I got 340 km out of my Varadero, almost the whole way back from Wexford after riding down on a full tank and riding around there about 15 k a day. Had to switch to reserve then.

I can get 123kmph with the wind at my back going slightly downhill. :pac: I have to say, it's a great learner bike :)

• Advertisement

I only managed about 110kph. The revs were getting very high and my 15 stone frame was acting as a wind sail.

I regret selling the Varadero. Sold it to some guy on adverts. Even had a Givi top box on it. I just had no room for it.

This was her: http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/other-honda/honda-varadero-125/1351276

Perfect condition and ran so well. So many piece of sh1t 125 varaderos for sale. It was hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I've been up and down the country many times on a rebel 125, and tbh its not that slower, you can go quicker thru bendy bits..use the backroads or the old roads if you can.
    avoid the motorway if you can because you're underpowered, not legally- but in the real world- if its windy or you're riding into a headwind you'll feel it stop the bike. oh and the trip will take longer than two hours, id say more like three,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

My arse is sore just thinking about it...
    Mine is sore just remembering the (pre-motorways) time I did Dublin-Tralee on an old RS125 with a slashed saddle from which most of the foam was missing. When I looked in a mirror afterwards I swear I could read "Yamaha Motor Co." imprinted across my ass-cheeks... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I did the 1st day of my IBT on a Varadero 125 and it really is a great bike, alot of bike for the money and cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I remember doing Cork/Dublin and a few other long journeys on a Honda 50 in the 60's, sometimes we travelled 2 up on night trips with spare fuel on the back. Happy days and memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I got 340 km out of my Varadero, almost the whole way back from Wexford after riding down on a full tank and riding around there about 15 k a day. Had to switch to reserve then.

I can get 123kmph with the wind at my back going slightly downhill. :pac: I have to say, it's a great learner bike :)

I was talking in miles but dam 340km is good going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

aujopimur wrote: »
    I remember doing Cork/Dublin and a few other long journeys on a Honda 50 in the 60's, sometimes we travelled 2 up on night trips with spare fuel on the back. Happy days and memories.

Wow!.. Any old photos or stories?.

Advertisement