Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RS 232 problems

Options
  • 18-12-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all
    I have a measuring device linked to a gaugeport and running a wedge software via rs232
    I am having a problem with the software, basically the software worked fine for years i switched to a new (ish ) Pc dual core processor.
    anyway every so often the following happens.
    when taking a measurement sample and populating to excel the leading value is dropped and replaced with a zero, eg 8.76 is returned as 0.76.
    this can happen once in every 250 entries or even 1 in every 50
    baud rate is 9600 parity 1
    i suspect it could be hyperthreading issue or a driver issue.
    Another suspect is that FIFO is switched on
    Can anyone help

forgot to say i am using a footpedal to enter data
    could this be a framing error ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I don't use this software but...

If you're using "WinWedge" they say they provide unlimited technical support. Link

I suspect it's a flow control issue, that it tries sending data too fast and loses some bits in the process.

This looks like it's a step in the right direction... auto hardware flow control setting in the last post here...

Link

So under Windows 7 go to

Start --> Control Panel --> Device Manager

In there expand the item for "Ports (COM & LPT)"
    Select the COM port you use, eg. COM1, COM3 etc...
    Right click on it and select "Properties".
    In the "Port Settings" tab, try setting the "Flow control" option to "hardware" and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deburca98

os is windows XP
    Disabled FIFO and enabled hardware on flow rate on Com port via device manager
    Changed flow rate from none to hardware on winwedge software seems to have solved the issue.
    Contacted the manufacturer winwedge no help at all discussed hyperthreading issues with the dual core processor
    cheers will see if this helps

Advertisement