Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Andreas for PS3

Options
  • 18-12-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

So as you may already know, San Andreas was released on PSN as a "ps2 classic" (meaning no HD or trophy support) for 15 euro.

Even still, I would normally jump at the deal, for the nostalgia alone.
    San Andreas was revolutionary, the memories alone are enough to make me tear up. It represents my youth.

But you know, maybe it's better left in the past. I'm afraid that if I get it, I'll be disappointed that it's not what I remembered it as. The graphics are outdated, and I'm afraid the gameplay might be too.

If it was released for android, I would definitely go for it, because then it would still be amazing..but on a current gen console, I don't know..

Although I'd love to revisit los santos before GTA V lands...

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Jamez735 wrote: »
    If it was released for android, I would definitely go for it, because then it would still be amazing..but on a current gen console, I don't know..

Vice City is already out on Android so I don't think San Andreas is too far behind.

TBH I don't mind the graphics being a bit poor when the game itself is so much fun. While I think it currently costs too much, maybe ask for a PSN card for Festivus to lessen the blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Otacon wrote: »
    Vice City is already out on Android so I don't think San Andreas is too far behind.

TBH I don't mind the graphics being a bit poor when the game itself is so much fun. While I think it currently costs too much, maybe ask for a PSN card for Festivus to lessen the blow.

True, but both gta 3 and vice city were released for android on their 10th anniversary, meaning that we'll have to wait another 4 years for San Andreas.

But to be honest, I don't think I would go back after playing gta v.
    So I might just ask for it as gift :)

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I still play it from time to time on the PS2. Go for it, it is ridiculous fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

15 euro is daylight robbery for an original PS2 game that is exactly the same as it was when it was released back in 2004.I've rewatched some video's of it and its just depressing how bad it looks compared to how I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭steve_r

Chavways wrote: »
    15 euro is daylight robbery for an original PS2 game that is exactly the same as it was when it was released back in 2004.I've rewatched some video's of it and its just depressing how bad it looks compared to how I remember it.

I think the price is too high, agreed.

I can live with the graphics cause the gameplay and sheer fun of the game make up for it for me.

I'm conisdering whether to get it for €10 on steam - kinda hoping that the steam sale brings that price down but might be too hopeful.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've gone ahead and downloaded, it's at 50% so should be done in an hour and a bit! :D

Can't Wait!

But honestly, I don't mind paying €15 for it, it takes a lot to port a ps2 game to ps3, and besides, it's my all time favourite, I'd happily pay triple the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Yeah I've gone ahead and downloaded, it's at 50% so should be done in an hour and a bit! :D

Can't Wait!

But honestly, I don't mind paying €15 for it, it takes a lot to port a ps2 game to ps3, and besides, it's my all time favourite, I'd happily pay triple the price.

So what was the point of the thread???? :confused::confused::confused:

Chavways wrote: »
    So what was the point of the thread???? :confused::confused::confused:

Well I wasn't sure a couple hours ago, it's my all time favourite indeed, but I was afraid that reliving it may ruin my initial impressions,..but now I realize that if I can suffer through the graphics, the gameplay will be still as amazing as it was in the first place

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It'll come down for the Steam Christmas sale. Get it then.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I think you guys kinda missed my point. It wasn't the price that bothered me, I was afraid the game wouldn't be as enjoyable as I
    remembered, because it was so dated, but I was wrong.

Absolutely amazing! best decision I ever made, I don't think there has been a better game since, the gameplay is incredible, the world is massive! all you have to do is take a spin around the block and it hits you, the nostalgia, ooh the nostalgia. :D

I find myself remember parts of the map, the areas, the roads, the shortcuts, I even remembered most of the cheats after 6 years!
    l1 l2 r1 r2 up down left right up down left right (x2) (jetpack)

I've also realized that graphics don't mean sh1t to me! especially when the gameplay is incredible, the missions are just so varied and diverse. love it!

It truly was a game ahead of it's time. I hope V can live up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

been playing it since Sunday. I don't really get why you would knock it down because of graphics back then it as pretty amazing. I don't really worry about the graphics its a game i hadn't played in so long and really enjoying the relive I also have vice city on my tablet but, i like san andreas makes me laugh :D vice citys just as funny your not playing it for the laugh.

When I started playing games i was playing prince of Persia on a DOS based pc and Nes so being honest I think it ridiculously short sighted to knock games because of graphics!

its how much fun they are.

Snowie wrote: »
    been playing it since Sunday. I don't really get why you would knock it down because of graphics back then it as pretty amazing. I don't really worry about the graphics its a game i hadn't played in so long and really enjoying the relive I also have vice city on my tablet but, i like san andreas makes me laugh :D vice citys just as funny your not playing it for the laugh.

When I started playing games i was playing prince of Persia on a DOS based pc and Nes so being honest I think it ridiculously short sighted to knock games because of graphics!

its how much fun they are.

If you're looking for a laugh, have you ever played saints row 2?

I've never played a game as funny in my life, but I did think SR3 was way too over the top, and I think it kinda ruined open world games for me.

pre sr3= vtols, drones, tanks and pedestrian cannons - AWESOME!!!
    post sr3 = meh, been there done that.

I kinda felt that SR3 was like cheating, ..but it was still a good game.

Lovin vice city too! not as good as SA, but the memories & nostalgia factor far outweigh the negatives, easily the best android game on the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

I downloaded it but can't play it due to some weird bug.

I select the game to play as normal then my screen goes black for about a minute or so. My controller switches off and the screen returns to the blue "HDMI 1" with the message "No video signal".

It's only for GTA San Andreas tried a lot of other games both downloaded and disc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    I downloaded it but can't play it due to some weird bug.

I select the game to play as normal then my screen goes black for about a minute or so. My controller switches off and the screen returns to the blue "HDMI 1" with the message "No video signal".

It's only for GTA San Andreas tried a lot of other games both downloaded and disc.

Delete it, re-download and re-install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

San Andreas was the only one I hadn't gone back to in a long while. Downloaded and put nearly 16 hours in already.

Most surprising thing of all is that I was indeed able to "follow the damn train CJ!" the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I cant do the car hydraulics level must have tried about 50 times its so hard.

I dont remember having this much trouble with it on the PS2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

What are the odds of this ever making it onto vita? Cos that would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

F1ngers wrote: »
    Delete it, re-download and re-install it.

I've re-downloaded it and re-installed it 4 times already. It's not going to happen. I've contacted PSN support which is about as useful as slamming my head off of a wall.

I've tried changing the output from HDMI to Scart ( Just in case ) & re-downloaded it without doing a background download. It's the strangest bug I've ever seen especially since it un-pairs my PS3 controller.

San Andreas was the only one I hadn't gone back to in a long while. Downloaded and put nearly 16 hours in already.

Most surprising thing of all is that I was indeed able to "follow the damn train CJ!" the first time.

Same!!

I've even found myself passing that train mission, and the car hydraulic one on my first attempt!

It's so much easier when you're older lol, I absolutely love it!...if they ever release trophy support, I'll have a platinum under my belt as soon as I download the patch! :D

What mission are you up to now?

I'm on the one where you have to use the car that's modded to drop stingers (police spike strips) in order to stop and steal a car for your garage in San Fierro...ah the nostalgia

what I love most (and almost forgot about) is the diversity in the missions, from piloting rc planes/helicopters, to burying people alive in portaloos, to invading area 51, to stealth missions (boarding the ship & stealing the rhymebook in the mansion) to racing bikes onto a cargo plane, to parachuting off one on an infiltration mission, to racing in the countryside, to burning weed for the truth, to spewing bodies out of a combine harvester to stealing jetpacks

What has become of videogames these days,..it's all about being herded down a narrow corridor with a 50 cal, waiting to do a 360 noscope on some kid around the corner...all in 60fps hd graphics,...well screw that :mad:

I say we go back to the way we was, gameplay over graphics.

...saying that, gta V is looking AMAZING, and that's great, as long as the gameplay lives up to that of it's predecessors, which I have no doubt it will. I mean come on, it's Rockstar we're talking about. :)

Advertisement