Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit a cat flap

• 18-12-2012 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

I want to install a cat flap, thatt is very simple, but making the hole in the back door is what I would appreciate advice on. I assume i just need to drill 10/12 mm holes at the 4 corners points and use a jigsaw ( which I don't have!!) to take out the sqaure, is there a manual version. The door is wooden with a glazed top half .

cheers

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could use a keyhole saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Alun wrote: »
    You could use a keyhole saw.

Thanks for the advice. The door is some kind of external use hardwood, obviously I would need a much larger diameter drill bit/hole to accomodate the saw blade, 20MM?

thanks

Peter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

The cat flap will come with a paper template - stick it on the door, and it'll show you exactly where to drill and where to cut around. You will need a jigsaw though.

Word of advice - buy 1 or 2 spare catflaps, in case they stop making that particular model and you've customised your door to fit it. I put one in my house, and after 5 years it was grotty, the magnet had fallen off, some of the plastic cracked, scratch marks on it, the draft trim was peeling off, etc. The local pet shops didn't stock it anymore, but luckily I managed to get 2 of the exact same one on eBay. If I had to buy a different model, it would have been hassle patching up & recutting the hole - especially since I got a large cat flap to begin with, so would have had to get one at least that size! But swapping them out takes 5 mins as it's just 4 screws, so best to plan ahead and buy a few spares...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That'll depend on the saw really, the blades tend to taper towards the ends, so you'll be able to get started with quite a small hole, and then use the wider part of the blade once you get going.

Having said that, you can get electric jigsaws quite cheaply, or else ask around some mates / family to see if they can loan you one. It'll be a lot easier that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭chris445

If you could borrow a circular saw it would be a much better job than a jigsaw. Most times when using a jigsaw the blade wont cut square so, depending on the way it cuts the hole on the other side of the door could end up too big or too small. I would remover the riving knife from a circular saw and drop it in. Then finish the 4 corners with a handsaw. Much more accurate job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement