Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Abroad - Tiger English

Options
  • 18-12-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I have been looking into the possibility of teaching abroad recently. I have a college degree and I am currently in the process of completing a Hdip. I am not too optimistic of getting a full time job in Ireland so i see this as the perfect opportunity to get a teaching job abroad and do some travelling.

I came across the organisation Tiger English however I am slightly sceptical about this because they do not seem to have a working website and I am reluctant to give any personal information. can anyone confirm whether they are a reputable company or not?

finally if anyone has any opinions on where they think the best place to travel to would be I am open to suggestions? like i have just said I am only beginning to look into this and any advice would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I live in China. There are plenty of job opportunities here.

You can come on a tourist visa, find a job, and then do a visa run to Hong Kong for your work visa.

China is a challenge (major cultural differences) but it is super interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Hi,

I have been looking into the possibility of teaching abroad recently. I have a college degree and I am currently in the process of completing a Hdip. I am not too optimistic of getting a full time job in Ireland so i see this as the perfect opportunity to get a teaching job abroad and do some travelling.

I came across the organisation Tiger English however I am slightly sceptical about this because they do not seem to have a working website and I am reluctant to give any personal information. can anyone confirm whether they are a reputable company or not?

finally if anyone has any opinions on where they think the best place to travel to would be I am open to suggestions? like i have just said I am only beginning to look into this and any advice would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

I've never heard of tiger English?! Tefl should suit you down to the ground as you've the h dip. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 innominat

Maybe try daves esl board, plenty of jobs in Korea. They pay for your flight and accommodation. I spent a year in a public school near Seoul was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Loads of places won't hire you with a TEFL, they ain't work the paper they're written on, get a CELTA instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 badgerbadger27

innominat wrote: »
    Maybe try daves esl board, plenty of jobs in Korea. They pay for your flight and accommodation. I spent a year in a public school near Seoul was fine.

how exactly did you manage to get them to pay for your flights and accommodation?

that would be a massive attraction for me as I am currently (like most college students) broke!

One thing that I am unsure about also is the fact that my graduation from the Hdip is not until September? Would this be a problem with regards to accreditation because I would prefer to go at the beginning of this summer?

• Advertisement

Flights and accom are standard for every job in Korea. Nothing extra required from you.
    All you need is a BA/Bsc. I think GEPIK needs a TEFL but most dont care.
    Do a CELTA if you want a TEFL the rest are pretty worthless.

Flights and accom are standard for every job in Korea. Nothing extra required from you.
    All you need is a BA/Bsc. I think GEPIK needs a TEFL but most dont care.
    Do a CELTA if you want a TEFL the rest are pretty worthless.

where is the best place to start looking for a job in korea so in that case?

I have a degree already and I have teaching experience so if jobs are as plentiful as people say then I should have no problems!

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/
    Daves esl korean board
    Email your CV to as many recruiters as possible. They will tell you what documents you need.
    You need a background check plus notarized and apostled degree I believe.

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/
    Daves esl korean board
    Email your CV to as many recruiters as possible. They will tell you what documents you need.
    You need a background check plus notarized and apostled degree I believe.

thanks for the help!

really appreciate it! :)

And one other thing. IF you get offered a job ask to talk to another teacher at the school and ask them some questions.
    are you payed on time? what are the living conditions like? holidays ect

• Advertisement

And one other thing. IF you get offered a job ask to talk to another teacher at the school and ask them some questions.
    are you payed on time? what are the living conditions like? holidays ect

good idea, thanks!

Any tips on what to include in the CV?

For me I just sent a regular CV with work and education history. Highlight any TEFL or classroom experience. Dont worry if you have no experience you can still find job.

Advertisement