Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Abroad - Tiger English

• 18-12-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25

Hi,

I have been looking into the possibility of teaching abroad recently. I have a college degree and I am currently in the process of completing a Hdip. I am not too optimistic of getting a full time job in Ireland so i see this as the perfect opportunity to get a teaching job abroad and do some travelling.

I came across the organisation Tiger English however I am slightly sceptical about this because they do not seem to have a working website and I am reluctant to give any personal information. can anyone confirm whether they are a reputable company or not?

finally if anyone has any opinions on where they think the best place to travel to would be I am open to suggestions? like i have just said I am only beginning to look into this and any advice would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

Comments

Not much point in looking at agencies apart from maybe a recruitment agency in the country you're going to.. Anything else is just one big scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 badgerbadger27

how would you propose to look for jobs so? directly contact schools? do most schools organise accommodation for you also or is that only in rare situations?

Sites like DavesESL or even better would be to find the expat websites for whatever country you're going to..
    Eg. http://tnhvietnam.xemzi.com/en/job/list?category=1 for Hanoi where I am.

And why do you want them to sort housing? Do it yourself when you get to know the place.. I've lived in a few different spots around Hanoi already and will be moving again soon. My school organised accommodation for two new teachers and it's right next to the school in a boring area.. They instantly regretted not having a go at it themselves.

the thing is that I would prefer to have everything sorted before I head out there! i have a fear of being in a foreign country with no plan and money running out! is it reasonable to expect to have job before heading out?

I am also planning on travelling with a friend. is it difficult to get a job for two people in the same school or neighbourhood?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

Hi, this is a great idea and you're leaving Ireland for the same reasons as me!

First of all I would recommend Thailand. Of course that is because I am teaching here at the moment but I can vouch for a great english teaching community, relaxed pace of life, good pay, excellent weather, culture, food, travelling opportunities etc.

I got my job through an agency. That said, I would recommend you do it on your own. Use job sites such as daves esl cafe or for thailand ajarn.com and apply to positions posted directly by a school. It is very possible once you get your head around it.

It is possible to get a job before you get to the country. Accommodation however is harder. You will probably book a hotel or hostel for a week at a time if you havent found a job before you go there. Or else the school will help you find accommodation. Dont be afraid of the thought of living in a hotel- in Thailand atleast hotels and eating out is cheap.

If you leave Ireland for a teaching job in a different country, you are guaranteed a better quality of life. No more recession being shoved in your face every day, no more constant whining about the weather and the recession, no more desperation in looking for a job you can put your degree to work with. You will meet an make good friends with a whole new network of people. Even if you arent outgoing of friendly its impossible not to!
    People with a different outlook on life with different ideals and goals, people who are interesting and care about experiences and travelling and living life to the full rather than those whos number one priority is to buy a house, improve their car, get a hotter girlfriend, wear designer clothes.

OK so Im ranting a bit but basically, yes do it! I have to go teach a class now but I will get back to you later with more info on how me and my bf were able to get jobs in the same school.

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice starr

looking forward to hearing about how you managed to get a job in the same school as your bf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

English Teachers in Hanoi get paid upwards of 20USD an hour. They are still crying out for decent teachers with qualifications. In fact, not having qualification doesnt preclude you from teaching but youll be paid a lot more and get more work with them.

Hanoi is prob the coolest city in SE Asia too.

Advertisement