Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you freeze White wine

Options
  • 18-12-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there

I was trying out a new recipe for soup for my Christmas dinner - butternut squash and Parmesan ( turned out really tasty) recipe called for 100mls of white wine I had to open a new bottle. I was just wondering could I freeze some as I am gonna need more on Christmas Eve when I make the soup for next day. Or would it still be ok to use if I left it in fridge it's in a screw top bottle. It's just I don't tend to drink during week and don't want almost a full bottle going to waste and I quite often have use for a glass of wine in different recipes and might be useful to have some stored

Cheers !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It should be fine to freeze. A good idea is to freeze it in ice cube trays, that way you can just use as much as you need.
    You could also measure out 100mls beforehand and freeze it in separate portions (for want of a better word) and that way you'd have the exact amount to hand next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Would the alcohol content not prevent it from freezing in a domestic freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

I actually accidentally froze a bottle of wine once put it in freezer to cool it totally forgot about it and of course the lid burst so I had a right mess on my hands !!!!

Will try to freeze it in ice cube trays that's a good idea and I am sure I have some little pots I use for babies purees Just better be sure not to mix them up with babies dinners '!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If you want to cool beer/wine very quickly all you have to do is:

1. Wrap the bottle of beer/wine in a small amount of kitchen paper.

2. Wet the kitchen paper under the tap for a second or two.

3. Put in freezer for 15-20mins.

Voila!! You'll have a delicious ice cold beverage in no time at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Frynge wrote: »
    Would the alcohol content not prevent it from freezing in a domestic freezer?

Don't think the alcohol content would be high enough. Once out of the freezer it'd go slushy more quickly than if there was no alcohol though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

3. Put in freezer for 15-20mins.

Voila!! You'll have a delicious ice cold beverage in no time at all!

Must.... resist.... anal.... retentive.... need.... to.... point out.... obvious.... flaw...... arrghhhhhhhh....

But thanks for the tip seriously. I always throw bevvies in the freezer and wait for them to cool. Never thought of this method of accelerating the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Must.... resist.... anal.... retentive.... need.... to.... point out.... obvious.... flaw...... arrghhhhhhhh....

But thanks for the tip seriously. I always throw bevvies in the freezer and wait for them to cool. Never thought of this method of accelerating the process.

Must.... resist.... anal.... retentive.... need.... to.... ninja......edit...... arrghhhhhhhh....

Handy for those unplanned house parties. By the time the first beer in down the rest is already chilled :)

enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always freeze wine in a tub since it doesn't freeze hard, and I can spoon out as much as I need. I find ice cube trays too fiddly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Leftover wine. Can't say I'm familiar with the concept...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Never thought of this method of accelerating the process.
    the 2L salt water method is quicker as described below
    rubadub wrote: »
    As said in the OP if you have a can or bottle submerged in water it is in direct contact with this cold liquid and transfers heat/cold much faster. i.e. if just stuck in a load of icecubes it has far less actual contact with the wall of the can. If cooling cans in a freezer stick a bag of frozen peas on top to cool it quicker.

Also you can keep a 2L of salt water in your freezer which is reusable, you can stick a can or bottle in a tall jug or vase, pour the salt water on which can be down to -18C and the can will be cold in no time, this is the same idea as those bottle chillers in off licences. Then you can pour the salt water back in the bottle and "recharge" it.

If your freezer is frosty another trick is to wet your can and place it on a frosty spot, it defrosts it locally and gets really good contact and so cools quicker, you can even slowly pour a shot of water over it then for even more contact.

If you have chest freezer it is best to keep it full for efficiency, i.e. if you open it you do not want air escaping, so it is handy to have 2L bottles of salt water. Also it will usually be much colder than ice cubes from an offy.

If using salt be sure to have a rinsing bucket, so people are not drinking out of salty cans or bottles. Another idea is using the big 2L of salt water or just water as giant icecubes, just dump them into the bin of water with the cap still on, have several so you can keep refreezing them, this is less messy as there is no continual pouring out needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Leftover wine. Can't say I'm familiar with the concept...

I think it happens towards the end of the third bottle. Of course, if there's more than one of you ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've started using Vermouth instead of white wine. Tastes exactly the same and keeps for longer.

Advertisement