Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a claim on car insurance impact on bike NCB?

• 18-12-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Say I have a car insured under my name with a named driver on the policy. If I have full NCB, then the named driver crashes , will this have any effect on my bike insurance policy- will it effect any NCB built up?

Bike insurers don't take car ncb into account when quoting so surely it shouldn't effect. or does it?thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When you renew you'll have to tell them about the claim. It can't affect your bike NCD but it could affect your premium as you've made a claim, therefore your potentially a higher risk.

It's a stupid system where you can't gain a benefit from having full NCD in one which can't be transfered, but can loose out by claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

When you renew they ask "Have you had any motoring claims".. its not just policy specific they want to know about.

As Del said, it cant actually effect your no claims on the bike policy but no doubt there is a system to factor it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Del2005 wrote: »
    When you renew you'll have to tell them about the claim. It can't affect your bike NCD but it could affect your premium as you've made a claim, therefore your potentially a higher risk.

It's a stupid system where you can't gain a benefit from having full NCD in one which can't be transfered, but can loose out by claiming.

even if it wasn't me but the named driver on my policy that crashed? That's a rite pain in the hole, everything to suit them and screw you..grr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

cojomo2 wrote: »
    even if it wasn't me but the named driver on my policy that crashed? That's a rite pain in the hole, everything to suit them and screw you..grr

Well i guess it depends.
    When the claim was made by the Named driver did they lose a NCB or did you also lose NCB?

If the claim by the named driver doesnt have your name attached to it then i wouldnt mention it to the bike insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

goodlad wrote: »
    Well i guess it depends.
    When the claim was made by the Named driver did they lose a NCB or did you also lose NCB?

If the claim by the named driver doesnt have your name attached to it then i wouldnt mention it to the bike insurance company.

well, if the named driver had a crash and was at fault, it would be me that looses the NCB as it's my policy that will be claimed against- I'd like to think it wouldn't effect my bike policy but looks like I could be wrong- can't say I'm surprised..insurance companies..pricks

• Advertisement

well, if the named driver had a crash and was at fault, it would be me that looses the NCB as it's my policy that will be claimed against- I'd like to think it wouldn't effect my bike policy but looks like I could be wrong- can't say I'm surprised..

That's the way the insurance companies work it. It's your policy so you made a claim, the named driver is also affected as they've made a claim.

The fact that you have made a claim will affect your bike policy and vice versa, shame that they don't do it in reverse and allow NCDs from one transfer to the other.
    insurance companies..pricks

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you have a claim against you on your bike policy, you are obliged to inform your car insurance company about the claim. You will lose both policy's NCB accrued and both policy's will be loaded at renewal for a claim.

If you have a claim against you on your car policy, you are obliged to inform your bike insurance company about the claim. You will lose both policy's NCB accrued and both policy's will be loaded at renewal for a claim.

If you have a claim against you on your car policy by a named driver, you are obliged to inform your bike insurance company about the claim. You will lose both your NCB and both policy's will be loaded at renewal for a claim. If the named driver has a car insurance policy, 50% of the cost will go to that policy and they will lose any NCB accrued on any policy's they may have.

NCB is a discount against your person for any claims. It doesn't matter if its against a specific policy. The question is very simple, have you had any claims?

If you have a claim against you on your bike policy, you are obliged to inform your car insurance company about the claim. You will lose both policy's NCB accrued and both policy's will be loaded at renewal for a claim.

If you have a claim against you on your car policy, you are obliged to inform your bike insurance company about the claim. You will lose both policy's NCB accrued and both policy's will be loaded at renewal for a claim.

If you have a claim against you on your car policy by a named driver, you are obliged to inform your bike insurance company about the claim. You will lose both your NCB and both policy's will be loaded at renewal for a claim. If the named driver has a car insurance policy, 50% of the cost will go to that policy and they will lose any NCB accrued on any policy's they may have.

NCB is a discount against your person for any claims. It doesn't matter if its against a specific policy. The question is very simple, have you had any claims?

They can't take your NCD from a policy you haven't claimed on, but they can load the policy as you have a made a claim. If the NCD was for the person then it could be used on multiple policies, it can't.

Advertisement