Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Ennell

Options
  • 18-12-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Hey all, myself and a few friends are planning on heading to Lough Ennell for a days fishing in the new year. Have done very little inland fishing, mainly coastal with some boat experience. I was wondering if anybody could give us some info as to what kind of tackle would be required, if there were any marks or an area that one could possibly land a fish!! If you would prefere to send a private message that would be fine!! Tight lines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

What species of fish do you plan fishing for ? This will determine what tackle you need. Are you aware that you need a permit to fish Lough Ennell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Further to the above points, I would say that Ennell is big place, and you'd want to know your way around.
    I assume it's Pike you're after? Would you consider a smaller more manageable fishery, even one that could be fished from the shore?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Are you a boat owner? (without one i don't see you having much success - it is still shallow far from bank in most places). AFAIR only pike fishing is permited there - and even so only on lures (last time i checked it was no dead baiting, no coarse fishing, no trout fishing season so no trout fishing) + not sure will you be able to rent boat now. I'm far from being expert but Ennell is quite hard for me - i will get 20 jacks on one day and then blank couple of times in the row..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

We would like to target some big pike, going by other reports this may not be easy, hence the request for some "inside" information!! I am aware of the permit requirements and this is not a problem, i belive they are available from the lilliput boat rental place, from which we shall be renting a boat and motor!! We have tried for pike from the shore around Blessington several time with no joy so figure trying a new mark cant really hurt our pride if we blank, however it would be nice to have some direction to follow!! Bizzum, if you know of somewhere that you could recommend with good pike fishing I wouldn't tottaly rule it out!!

MarcinG wrote: »
    Are you a boat owner? (without one i don't see you having much success - it is still shallow far from bank in most places). AFAIR only pike fishing is permited there - and even so only on lures (last time i checked it was no dead baiting, no coarse fishing, no trout fishing season so no trout fishing) + not sure will you be able to rent boat now. I'm far from being expert but Ennell is quite hard for me - i will get 20 jacks on one day and then blank couple of times in the row..
    I think deadbaiting is allowed on Ennell. Its Sheelin where deadbaiting is banned. I havent been able to find the old regulations for Ennell and Owel online. These regulations were crazy. You couldnt coarse fish on Ennell but you could on Owel, you could fish from the shore on Ennell but you couldnt on Owel. etc. Regulations on Sheelin..... worse still ( all from a pike or coarse anglers view)

• Advertisement

jkchambers wrote: »
    I think deadbaiting is allowed on Ennell. Its Sheelin where deadbaiting is banned.

i think on entrance of park (can;t remember name - j.swift? where liliput rents boats) it is stated on one of the boards on your right.

OP: you can ask liliput but i spoken with them some time ago and they said that they closing down for winter - but call them yourself).

MarcinG wrote: »
    i think on entrance of park (can;t remember name - j.swift? where liliput rents boats) it is stated on one of the boards on your right.

OP: you can ask liliput but i spoken with them some time ago and they said that they closing down for winter - but call them yourself).
    I think that I am right when I wrote that all legal methods were allowed for pike. You mention Liliput - below is a link to their website where they clearly state that deadbaits are ok as pike baits
    http://lilliputboathire.com/fishing/

jkchambers wrote: »
    I think that I am right when I wrote that all legal methods were allowed for pike. You mention Liliput - below is a link to their website where they clearly state that deadbaits are ok as pike baits
    http://lilliputboathire.com/fishing/

I was just fishing on Ennell today (hint: 4th line from the bottom):
    P1020498.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Ha dats gas i no friends that have got trout up to 6lb at the mouth of the river on deabaits while fishing for pike:D

I'm only defending what i said about the sign. Don't know single person who cares is another thing ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement