Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my puppy prefer to sleep on my gym bag than in her bed?

• 18-12-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

This might seem a bit peculiar, because... It is! :D
    We have a new labrador puppy, she's been with us for about a week (11 weeks old). Now of course, I had another lab for 13 years so I'm well aware that they all have their own very bizarre rituals and quirks, that's what makes them such epic pets in my view!

This one has me stumped though.
    I got home from the gym the day before yesterday and dumped my gym bag near the door as I always do. Luna has a padded basket which is inside an always - unlocked cage for her to sleep in (I don't close it because I don't want her to associate going to bed with waking up trapped).

So I went to the bathroom, 5 minutes later I came in and she was curled up on the gym bad, snoring away :D
    Exact same thing happened last night, came home, dropped the bag by the door, and next thing I know she jumps out of her bed and onto the gym bag, curls up and goes straight back to sleep.

The bag is full of things like shoes, protein tubs and shaker flasks, of varying shapes - so I can't imagine it would be in any way comfortable to lie on for any length of time. Any ideas on why she does this? Anyone else had a puppy which liked sleeping on their briefcase, gear bag or anything like that?

EDIT: That photo wasn't meant to be sideways, sorry... Not sure how that happened O_o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Your scent

Beautiful pup :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup, the smell is what is attracting her to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

AWW!! She's so cute!

My dog does the same thing. I lay out clean clothes on the bed before I take a shower. His Nibs will jump on the bed and settle himself on them.

Jackets, cardis, hoodies. Same treatment, if they're left on the sofa before being hung up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our cats do the same, their favourite place of all is the laundry basket full of (dirty!) clothes ready to go into the washing machine.

If you want her to sleep in her bed, you could try putting something of yours, say an old t-shirt or towel, preferably something nice and smelly!, that you don't mind 'sacrificing' in her bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

awk the wee pet! like the others say - its because it smells of you so its comforting to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Cutie, our guy will sleep on the kid's school bags if there left in the kitchen at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Yup the cute little pup finds the smell comforting.
    My own dog will steal any available item of clothing (preferably well worn socks) and stash them in his bed. You could try putting a sock or two from your gym bag in her cage. But the smell will fade on them and the gym bag will be fresh…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

mine will sleep on any bags, schoolbags, laptop bags and shopping bags. she'll pull the bag of shopping bags apart to get her favourite, the really rough textured hessian bag. I think she likes the texture of them. Even if I've thrown the shopping bag in under the stairs on top of a pile of shoes she'll go and lie on it in there. Can't be comfortable :confused: but she manages to make it look so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yup the cute little pup finds the smell comforting.
    My own dog will steal any available item of clothing (preferably well worn socks) and stash them in his bed. You could try putting a sock or two from your gym bag in her cage. But the smell will fade on them and the gym bag will be fresh…

I made that mistake on her second night with us, gave her a sock of mine at night to calm her separation anxiety when going to bed and turning off the lights etc (which she's now perfectly accustomed to)

Because of this, she now reckons any sock of mine is fair game. Regular tugs of war and games of "Catch me if you can" have ensued ever since :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My fella loves to sleep on my clothes, he has a lovely comfy bed but if I throw my clothes on the floor he will sleep on them instead. He was having an off night the other night, refusing to settle and go to sleep so I threw a pajama top from the night before into his bed and he settled right down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

She is the CUTEST thing ever :D they are my fave dog :) I have a little yorkie and she just LOVES to sleep on anything with our scent on it :) so I just put down a fleecy pyjama top and she snuggles up in that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Because of this, she now reckons any sock of mine is fair game. Regular tugs of war and games of "Catch me if you can" have ensued ever since :D

No sympathy from me, or my OH. :p

249294_132834083459320_3607976_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Whispered wrote: »
    No sympathy from me, or my OH. :p

great pic!! :D

Advertisement