Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know new puppy, puppy getting to know me.

• 18-12-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So mum has just got a 7-8 week old collie. Now I have always been a little wary of adult dogs, and always said the only way I would have one if I had it since a pup, so he/she wouldn't see me a threat and visa versa.

Now of course I want to this pup to get to know me, and me used to her, but as I dont live at home, and only there for a night or two every couple of weeks or so, I'd like it to happen quite smoothly.

Have some treats with me heading home this afternoon, some training mats, and something for her to chew on. Dont see any issue with me playing with her at the moment, petting and rubbing her, etc etc.

So any tips or advice for me, hopefully will be home the odd night over xmas and new year, so hopefully will get to see me a little more often compared to normal, and get to know who I am.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    So mum has just got a 7-8 week old collie. Now I have always been a little wary of adult dogs, and always said the only way I would have one if I had it since a pup, so he/she wouldn't see me a threat and visa versa.

Now of course I want to this pup to get to know me, and me used to her, but as I dont live at home, and only there for a night or two every couple of weeks or so, I'd like it to happen quite smoothly.

Have some treats with me heading home this afternoon, some training mats, and something for her to chew on. Dont see any issue with me playing with her at the moment, petting and rubbing her, etc etc.

So any tips or advice for me, hopefully will be home the odd night over xmas and new year, so hopefully will get to see me a little more often compared to normal, and get to know who I am.

She's sooooooooo adorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

She's sooooooooo adorable.

Pics please : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just remember you're the boss. Don't act like you have to impress her or try to make her like you, don't over-indulge her. You can be affectionate and playful of course. The only times I've ever seen people unhappy with their dog is when they've spent their life placating and bribing the animal, and now it thinks it is the boss, so behaves like a petulant little shit.

Advertisement