Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Design (Games Development)

Options
  • 18-12-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Just wondering what the course is like? Hoping someone on here is doing the course and was wondering Is it difficult? Would you recommend it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

I'm doing the course at the moment. It's enjoyable so long as you keep the attitude that it's a college course and that it is not a course where you go in and play games all day.

In my second year of it at the moment. Year one was a wide range of subjects such as game development, software design using java, maths, communications, requirements (very interesting and somewhat easy part of the course providing you put the work in). Web development (you eventually choose to branch off to game development or web development). We also learned python for game development.

Second year is mostly programming languages. We're learning to make games using python, relearning java from year one (yep, you read right. It's their way of making sure you learn it). C++ if you stick with game development or C sharp if you go for web development. Software testing (you get requirements and you make tests to test software).
    Maths again of course, somewhat harder in the second year. So much so that they are changing the format of the course for the next year to make it easier. Most of the above are from september up until december then some of them keep going until the end of the year while networks is added in, plus a few other new things not entirely sure as of yet.

If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to help.

And to answer your question the course isn't hard if the work is put in. Year 2 is a big step up from year 1. And year 3 and 4 are where you really need to focus since then the marks matter for your qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 colml cule

Is anyone here doing the course? I'd like to know what it's like. I'm doing ordinary maths now, would that be enough to be able to pass this module

colml cule wrote: »
    Is anyone here doing the course? I'd like to know what it's like. I'm doing ordinary maths now, would that be enough to be able to pass this module

See my post above. Ordinary maths is perfectly fine. I did ordinary, didn't do all that well in my Leaving Cert for it went and done a PLC and the maths was ok there too.

The only real stuff that seems the same as the maths in secondary school is the statistics stuff. But as far as college maths goes it's very much a hand held approach (if you struggle you've got tons to help you).

Don't be scared about the math, there's multiple tutorial submissions throughout the year (do the work at home and submit it in college) meaning you can literally work out of the notes for the things you don't understand along with using the numerous tutorial classes (here's a question, do it) in which you can ask for help direct from the lecturer on the questions you have trouble with, if you happen to have trouble at all.
    Then the exam comes and you have most of the marks before even sitting it because of the tutorials. The exception being the Christmas exam which is fairly straight forward.

Would being colour blind hinder you in any way? I also heard that there is physics which is meant to be very hard, is this true?

I doubt very much it would. The physics isn't until year 2, and it's the same level stuff as what's available on the leaving cert. In short, no it's not all that difficult.

• Advertisement

I've heard from a few people now that you have to do applied maths and it's extremely difficult,even harder than the leaving, is this true? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure before I do the course.

I'm not too sure what applied maths is to be honest. But I'm finding the maths ok enough and I've never been too strong at maths myself. I wouldn't worry to much about the maths aspect. There's continuous assessment tutorials where you do questions at home (with all the notes available to you) and submit them at a later date to be marked.

These CA tutorials make up the bulk of your end of year mark, meaning you normally have to get very little of the exam correct to pass the year. Not that I'm saying the maths is a push over and not to focus on it, but you're constantly getting marked for work throughout the year before the exam meaning you have part of that 40% pass mark already before you even sit down and do the exam in the summer.

There are multiple support options available. The lecturers are more than happy to help a struggling student. And there tuition options too meaning you can attend an extra class each week and go over the previous weeks topic too. Past exam papers to look at, a hint here and there on what questions are coming up...the list goes on. This also applies to every other subject.

In short don't say no to the course because it might be too tough, say no if you don't think you'll enjoy the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ulty77

I just got my results today and got 310 points, but I only have one honours subject an you need two. Is there any way of getting around this?

ulty77 wrote: »
    I just got my results today and got 310 points, but I only have one honours subject an you need two. Is there any way of getting around this?

Your best bet is to call and ask, they might make an exception I cannot say for sure.

My initial guess is you have to have the requirements. If that is the case I suggest going and doing a year long course in Cavan Institute. I checked their prospectus and they seem to no longer offer the course I mention in the above posts but they are offering both Software Development course and Computer Programming course both of which award the CITXX Fetac award.

I am unsure if either course awards the Maths Fetac award and have emailed them asking if either of them do. I also asked if they would accept a late application for either course and will edit this post when I get a reply.

Alternatively you could repeat your Leaving Cert and try and get the grades required, me personally I would go with the Fetac route if you can as it covers some of the course content (C++ coding, some of the maths that will come up, Communications, basic networking). You would also have an award at the end of the year. The downside is that you may have to pay for it if you do not qualify for a grant (should you need one that is) and the course content may be completely new to you as opposed to the Leaving Cert content.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ulty77

Thanks a lot for your help Stevie! I have the requirements to do computer games development in LYIT, are the two courses in any way different because the only difference I can see between the two, is one is lvl8 and one is lvl7.

• Advertisement

The course content differs vastly on both courses. We're doing Operating Systems this year (third year) whereas they're jumping straight into it in LYIT from year one. We also only started doing OOP (object orientated programming) near the end of the first year and throughout the second year (for java), we only started doing OOP in C++ on the second year from January.

I spot Mobile Games in year three which I guess means they teach Android programming. We've yet to do that and I'm not sure we will be since we're doing Java, C++ and Python at the moment. Try emailing the guy at the end of the course description for the LYIT and ask him how the course differs from the Athlone one, he may be able to shed some light on it better than I would.

They do seem to be two different courses.

Just an update on this. The maths lecturer in Cavan got back to me. Both courses offer the Maths Fetac requirement for Athlone.
    They are also still processing places for both courses so there are spots on both of them available still.

Advertisement