Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Knocknacarra to Salthill?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend studies at the GCI in salthill and is living in knocknacarra. Is there any busses that go to salthill from here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, neither 411 nor 412 pass through Salthill.
    Afaik there's no others from Knockers toward town.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

The Bus Eireann route to Barna from the city passes through Salthill onto Barna Road (Knockncarra).

Not too sure if it actually stops in Salthill but perhaps another poster will have an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

If she got off on a stop either at the top of Taylor's Hill or at the stop beside Taylor's school then she could walk? Especially from the one near Roasry Lane... She could cut through Devon, then Oaklands and out into the middle of Salthill!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I was about to say "the infrequent and little-known 413 - City Direct" - but it's disappeared from their website, so I'm thinking that it's been cancelled. (No publicity that I saw .. maybe I missed it.)

Apart from that, no there's no direct bus.

But the 402 Seacrest goes down Taylors Hill - get off at the bottom, by Lower Salthill / St Marys Rd / Scoil Fhursa, and it's not too much of a walk back to GCI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sean33 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

My girlfriend studies at the GCI in salthill and is living in knocknacarra. Is there any busses that go to salthill from here?

Thanks

buy her a bike and some rain gear, will save her a ton of money in the long run, be quicker in the mornings and help define those calf muscles... girls love that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

doesn't the 401 go from outside the GCI (opp the Warwick) as far as the diving board and then up Threadneedle road, any good? also City Direct have a 414 route - www.citydirectgalway.ie/index.php?page=route-info - that might be what you're looking for, those drivers are usually pretty flexible on where they'll let people off even if they're not meant to stop on that route.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    doesn't the 401 go from outside the GCI (opp the Warwick) as far as the diving board and then up Threadneedle road, any good?

Not quite: it does up Dalysfort Rd, along Dr Mannix and then down Threadneedle. Whether it helps depends on which part of Knocknacarra the person is coming from - the Rahoon side is a long way away.

jkforde wrote: »
    also City Direct have a 414 route - www.citydirectgalway.ie/index.php?page=route-info - that might be what you're looking for, those drivers are usually pretty flexible on where they'll let people off even if they're not meant to stop on that route.

Their 413 did go thru Salthill, but it seems to have disappeared from the rest of their website.

Their 414 also used to go that way, but the timetable now says "Ballymoneen Rd., Clybaun Rd., Rahoon, Shantalla, Henry st., Dominick St."

So I don't know what's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'm heading to the Oslo tonight and just can't make heads or tails of what bus routes are current and which have stopped. Both websites are laughably terrible. CityDirect 413 from the church looked like it would have worked but that route has ended??

Does anyone who regularly rides the bus know how to get from Ballymoneen Rd to Salthill?

Tbh, it's a bit of a mess to get there from Knockers.
    Galwaytransport has a map that shows routes
    http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/summary-map-galw-ay-city-services.html
    Afaik there's no bus going that route.

Yes, I looked there and saw a bunch of out of date info. I looked at CityDirect whose 413 route brings you to the 411 page and seems discontinued. I checked buseireann.ie whose select a starting and ending destination by map feature starts in Dublin, zoom out, scroll way the feck over, eventually put in knocknacarra church to leisureland and it had be go via Eyre Square with an estimated journey time of an hour and a half.

I'm now convinced that the taxi and hackney companies are running all the bus-related websites.

Yet again, I give up and will either walk or get a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

newkie wrote: »
    Yes, I looked there and saw a bunch of out of date info. I looked at CityDirect whose 413 route brings you to the 411 page and seems discontinued. I checked buseireann.ie whose select a starting and ending destination by map feature starts in Dublin, zoom out, scroll way the feck over, eventually put in knocknacarra church to leisureland and it had be go via Eyre Square with an estimated journey time of an hour and a half.

I'm now convinced that the taxi and hackney companies are running all the bus-related websites.

Yet again, I give up and will either walk or get a taxi.
    But sure there is no service from Knocknacarra directly to Salthill so no point whingeing about websites that tell you how to get there. Hackney couldnt be more than a tenner and will be faster no matter.

But sure there is no service from Knocknacarra directly to Salthill so no point whingeing...

Well I didn't know that, did I? Now I do.

Thanks.

newkie wrote: »
    Yes, I looked there and saw a bunch of out of date info. ....

Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to fix the City Direct routes on the summary map for a while now. Hopefully will get a chance the day after Paddy's day. (But in the meantime, route 411 isn't that different to the previous 33/34).

I can 100% guarantee that www.galwayTransport.info isn't run by a taxo or hackney company. It's run by me, a private citizen who's discovered the concept of tactical urbanism.

And it's a shame that you didn't notice the sidebar link to the National Journey Planner (fondly known as www.a-b.ie). This is a far better trip planner than the one on the BE site.

And as you say (and I did too, earlier in thread) 413 appears to be discontinued, which is a shame. AFAIK, the closest bus option would be catching the 402 to Maunsells Rd, then walking down Taylor's Hill and along Lower Salthill to GCI. Quite a treck, but not impossible unless it's pouring.

And it's a shame that you didn't notice the sidebar link to the National Journey Planner (fondly known as www.a-b.ie). This is a far better trip planner than the one on the BE site.

That's the kind of site I was expecting. Cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Abracastabya

Which bus/where could I get one from Ballymoneen Road to Salthill or what's my best option?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Which bus/where could I get one from Ballymoneen Road to Salthill or what's my best option?

Thanks
    Search it above or look in the next two pages, exact same thing was asked last week, keep up! ;)

Merged, I can see a business opportunity for city direct here.

Just read previous posts after thread got merged, and onsite looks like the 413 has been discontinued, pity really was hoping to use it quite a bit.

Oh well.

does the 414 take the route up by the barbers/paddy powers area?? Looking at the map I think that's where the Warwick is?

does the 414 take the route up by the barbers/paddy powers area?? Looking at the map I think that's where the Warwick is?

TBH, you'd be best asking City Driect, umm, directly.

I'm not sure how they might have shuffled routes after pulling the 413. There are certain licensiing issues, but it's possible they may have merged its route with 414.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kingsly

can anyone tell me if it poss to get a bus from clybaun road to taylors hill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

kingsly wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if it poss to get a bus from clybaun road to taylors hill

Kind of. You can walk down to the bus stop at Joyce's and take the 402. It will take you down to Taylor's Hill (via Ballymoneen and Knocknacarra Rd) as far as Maunsell's Rd. it turns left there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kingsly

thank's a mill.:)

Advertisement