Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really miss Ireland!!

Options
  • 18-12-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

As the title says I really miss Ireland :( and Dublin in particular, I have been in Australia for just over a year and I cannot seem to feel comfortable here yet every small thing reminds me of home, I cried the other day for over a hour when I watched an Ireland rugby match and heard the anthems!, I am going home to Dublin for Christmas next week so I am happy about that! I miss the accents, humor, craic, and even the weather. I have a job over here but I am seriously considering moving home even though the chance of me getting a job back home is pretty slim. I really don't no what to do HELP!!!!

Should I go home to Ireland 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Sure isn't it great that you're getting home for Xmas, you might very well get a job here start putting the word out now . Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Home is sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

tunedout wrote: »
    Home is sh*t.

Go to Australia so or are you barred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

You'll really miss Australia when you are in Ireland for longer than a few day's.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Hey, while I'm not in Australia I understand what you mean about missing home. I'm sure everyone's telling you you're crazy for feeling that way but it happens, and who are they to decide your life. I can't wait to go home. I won't get to go home for Christmas, but I'll be back in a few months. My boyfriend feels the same, we're just not comfortable here. It's up to you decide whether it's a bout of homesickness that'll pass, or something more. Don't make any rash decisions, but at the same time do what's right for you. You only get one life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Hey, while I'm not in Australia I understand what you mean about missing home. I'm sure everyone's telling you you're crazy for feeling that way but it happens, and who are they to decide your life. I can't wait to go home. I won't get to go home for Christmas, but I'll be back in a few months. My boyfriend feels the same, we're just not comfortable here. It's up to you decide whether it's a bout of homesickness that'll pass, or something more. Don't make any rash decisions, but at the same time do what's right for you. You only get one life.

tell that neon cookies fool a few things
    one life my hole
    tell him life is about earning money full stop
    and that one you have money everythings grand
    and that their only homesick cos they've no money for a new car

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Once you get your fix at home you'll be fine.

Anyone who has a choice between living and working in Oz or Ireland would be mad to give up the former unless they have to.

tunedout wrote: »
    tell that neon cookies fool a few things
    one life my hole
    tell him life is about earning money full stop
    and that one you have money everythings grand
    and that their only homesick cos they've no money for a new car

So money is more important than your personal well-being and happiness? Fair enough if it works for you, but not everyone wants to live like that. While it's important, what's the point if you're unhappy in a country thousands of mile from everything you love. If I'm a fool for thinking like that, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Xavi6 wrote: »

Anyone who has a choice between living and working in Oz or Ireland would be mad to give up the former unless they have to.

Disagree. It's horses for courses really.

If having lived in one country you prefer another it's no big deal just going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Xavi6 wrote: »

Mezcita wrote: »
    Disagree. It's horses for courses really.

If having lived in one country you prefer another it's no big deal just going home.

I agree with Mezcita. I am Australian and have lived here in Ireland for 5yrs now. A couple of interesting jobs have come up recently in Oz and after thinking about it i decided to stay in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 lorz_xx

Wow mixed results one here I disagree that life is all about money I am earning a lot of money over here in my current job but still I am missing home really bad! sometimes I think I would rather be broke at home where I love than rich in a country that doesnt feel like home :( hopefully this feeling of homesick is just because it's Christmas time when you start to think about family and home. I am due to come back to Oz in January just hope this feeling stays in ireland and doesnt come back with me

lorz_xx wrote: »
    Wow mixed results one here I disagree that life is all about money I am earning a lot of money over here in my current job but still I am missing home really bad! sometimes I think I would rather be broke at home where I love than rich in a country that doesnt feel like home :( hopefully this feeling of homesick is just because it's Christmas time when you start to think about family and home. I am due to come back to Oz in January just hope this feeling stays in ireland and doesnt come back with me

Yea, give it time. Christmas will always be hard because so many people have ingrained traditions of what Christmas should be. My advice would be, go back in January, and give it another go. If you still feel that way after 6 months (or set your own time frame that you can work with), then you know it's not for you and you won't feel any shame about going home, or regrets in the future that you didn't try. Try to save some money during that time in case you do decide to go home and then at least you'll have something to work with for a while. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Not sure how long you're staying back in Ireland OP, but if you find you prefer Ireland in January to Australia in January,you'll know what decision to make.

I'll never leave this island of Ireland no matter how bad it gets but if i were to be on another island far away for a few years then if i seen something like this i would want to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

You'd think Ireland was bloody Auschwitz the way some people describe it here, gimme a break.

I'm in Oz out of choice, I happen to love life here at present, but I know if I moved back to Ireland I could also have a very good life there. I am not ready to move back Ireland yet but it's a possibility some day.

Oz is great but depending on how the chips fall with where you end up living, working, who you make mates with etc can make it a completely different experience for different people. Amazingly (looking at some of posts) it doesn't have a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

My advice OP.
    You've been here over a year so you've given it a good go, it's not like your are whinging about being homesick having only been here a week.

Go home, enjoy Christmas. Give it a fresh go in NewYear, if after a month or two you feel the same then you know what decision to make.

One thing I would add is if you do decide to go back try to stay in.work here and save while searching for some job leads back home, it'll make life much easier. Either way goodluck.

I'm off to airport now for my Christmas trip back.to hellhole Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I bet the people saying Ireland is sh1t have never lived abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,321 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP, for the most part everyone is giving you over sentimental opinions, of both countries.

I think you be foolish to go home if you don't think you get work. Not because money is everything. But because supporting yourself is important (to me).

You're going home next week. The best time of year to go for the things listed. Also the best time to see the slump back in January. I loved home last Xmas, but January was so boring. Couldn't wait to get back.

professore wrote: »

There's gold on the bottom end of the earth but the crock of real gold is in Ireland, as in Home, relaxing feeling of a good atmosphere and good scenery when you arrive back.

Things are not great here at the moment but things can be great if you are financially stable and have a good outlook on things. But what will drive you all back under to ozz is the complaining about this situation here and after a week or two you will be saying...I need a break so back to ozz it is.

Anyway OP if you are coming back, i will say to you...have a great one and if you hear the mumblings of a downer conversation in your vicinity just leave and go to a place where the party is pumping with good company and a good atmosphere and let the good times roll on until departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

just back from Auz 2 weeks ago, spent 9 mths there. Its not all its made out to be, if you take away the good weather you could be anywhere else in the world! I have been to Canada and have to say it beats Auz hands down. Which is why i am hoping to go back :-)
    Plus its just too far away when family members get sick back home.
    Enjoy your xmas and decide after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It might be to do with your age too. Back in the depressing 80s I got a chance to go to the US, only lasted a few months. I really tried to make it there but I was on my own and I missed home and friends. I can still remember going for that first pint with friends when I got back, it was a great feeling.

Now I've left again, I'm in my 40s and I most definitely don't miss Ireland. Once your parents have passed on and your friends have settled into domesticity being elsewhere is easy. Australia is alright, I had been here before so I had no preconceived ideas about it when an opportunity came up. I'm here for the sun and relaxation.

I really loved Ireland once, it was great fun but when the greed started to take over in the early 00s I found it increasingly hard to feel settled there. There are things about Ireland that are unique but I can easily enjoy them on short visits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I was back there last week, can't face Christmas at home, pensions being robbed by the government, thieving ba$tard bankers getting away with it all,
    court system handing out suspended sentences left right and center because their is no money to punish scumbags any more, Enda talking hor$e****e morning noon and night while its obvious to the dog on the street that he's taking everyone for a ride and hasn't a fecking clue what he's doing, Roads are in sh1te the place is freezing, it pi$$es rain every other day, hospital services are fcuked everyone is depressed except the fat fcuks at the top creaming it.

I love so many people over there, its a fcuking tragedy I can't bring them all with me, but the people are the only reason I go back.
    Reason 1
    Nostalgia 0

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

Omg Hippie you really are Angry, but I agree with most of your points to be fair. I have sponsership in my pocket and am thinking of going out again. I was there for 4 yrs from 2001.

A few things to note,
    When in a steady job with a good network of friends in IRL there is no better place.
    When in Oz with a poor network of friends just working to get by can be terrible.
    I would like to know a little more about the OP's situation before I cast any judgement.

Regards
    BR

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

^^Zweton,

I'm curious as to why you say you liked Canada better than Oz. I've never
    been to Oz but my brother is there, I have friends in Sydney and Brisbane. From
    what I hear Canadians are like Ozzies, and that the countries are similar, economies
    are similar scenery ( minus the quantity of snow in Oz).
    I have to say, when I see the pics of the sunshine and all year round outdoor
    life style I have to say I'd like that. When I'm shovelling the snow, I often think of my friends in Oz, sweeping the sand from their sandals :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

catbear wrote: »
    It might be to do with your age too. Back in the depressing 80s I got a chance to go to the US, only lasted a few months. I really tried to make it there but I was on my own and I missed home and friends. I can still remember going for that first pint with friends when I got back, it was a great feeling.

Now I've left again, I'm in my 40s and I most definitely don't miss Ireland. Once your parents have passed on and your friends have settled into domesticity being elsewhere is easy. Australia is alright, I had been here before so I had no preconceived ideas about it when an opportunity came up. I'm here for the sun and relaxation.

I really loved Ireland once, it was great fun but when the greed started to take over in the early 00s I found it increasingly hard to feel settled there. There are things about Ireland that are unique but I can easily enjoy them on short visits.

Are you working over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

You'd be wrong then!

But as people have said each person's personal situation guides their thinking.

I have lived in Oz and was happy there and back here for many years but not now because of jobs and houses.

To the OP - give it one more year.

Come back for the right reasons only not because you miss the GAA and Lyons Tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

zweton wrote: »
    just back from Auz 2 weeks ago, spent 9 mths there. Its not all its made out to be, if you take away the good weather you could be anywhere else in the world! I have been to Canada and have to say it beats Auz hands down. Which is why i am hoping to go back :-)
    Plus its just too far away when family members get sick back home.
    Enjoy your xmas and decide after that.

I actually thought you put in for an application for PR? did it it not work out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

With respect you don't like any aspect of your life you can move you are not a tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Are you working over there?
    Yes and really enjoying it, work at something you like and it won't feel like work. I'm here over a year now and I often feel like I'm on a sun holiday. I work 30hrs on average a week making enough to pay the bills, have fun and increase my savings. I don't have expensive hobbies or tastes so I'm not chasing big money. On my days off I'm usually reading a good book under the shade of a tree by the beach with a chilled bottle of Cuvee Shiraz, a nice picnic and a swim at sunset to finish it off.
    In a way I feel semi retired, I'd rather enjoy life now while I'm independently mobile rather than have worked a miserable job for a pile a cash that I'll be too tired to enjoy by the time I'm eligible to retire.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I actually thought you put in for an application for PR? did it it not work out?

I was about to but had to go home for family reasons. Glad i didnt now though, its nice but im glad to be back temporarily. I still enjoyed my time there though.

• Advertisement

snowguy wrote: »
    ^^Zweton,

I'm curious as to why you say you liked Canada better than Oz. I've never
    been to Oz but my brother is there, I have friends in Sydney and Brisbane. From
    what I hear Canadians are like Ozzies, and that the countries are similar, economies
    are similar scenery ( minus the quantity of snow in Oz).
    I have to say, when I see the pics of the sunshine and all year round outdoor
    life style I have to say I'd like that. When I'm shovelling the snow, I often think of my friends in Oz, sweeping the sand from their sandals :-).

Nah canadians much friendlier, no ****e talk with them imo.
    Auz is not sun all year either depending on where you go, plenty of rainy days just like back home when i was there. I much preferred toronto over sydney and melbourne though, i generally had a better time over there.
    Everyone is different i guess.

Advertisement