Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really miss Ireland!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Yet another ridiculous b1tchfest about Ireland! The OTT drivel you read here is mad. If you think Ireland is bad, then try living in Bolivia, or the favella's of Rio, or virtually all of the continent of Africa, or indeed about 90% of the world in general. Despite it's problems Ireland still remains one of the best countries in the world to live in, and is still in the top 15 countries in the world based on standard of living. A bit of perspective people. I never understand the need for people who have moved elsewhere to bash Ireland. Is it to try justify to oneself the reason one has moved half way across the world away from friends and family? I don't get it. If you like Australia, great. Why the need to insult another country though and the many positive people who are happy out in what is a great country. It's not like Australia is Peter Perfect either. Honestly, first world problems!

OP, I feel your pain. This is my 3rd Christmas in a row away from family and it is very tough. However unlike you, I really like Australia and have settled nicely here. But it is not home. I went back for the first time in 2 years for 3 weeks back in July, and from reading the general consensus here I was expecting to want to be "dying to get back to Oz" after a few days. Well nothing could have been further from the truth. I had a wonderful time catching up with everyone and I was extremely sad having to say goodbye again. I surrounded myself with positive people, people who have an understanding of perspective, and my experience was great as a result.

Enjoy the trip back and then come back out and give it a proper shot. Join a sports club or whatever. It's a great way to meet people. If you are still unhappy in 6 months then go travel and head home with no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Been in Oz over a year,me and the missus are heading back to Ireland next year for the good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

snowguy wrote: »
    ^^Zweton,

I'm curious as to why you say you liked Canada better than Oz. I've never
    been to Oz but my brother is there, I have friends in Sydney and Brisbane. From
    what I hear Canadians are like Ozzies, and that the countries are similar, economies
    are similar scenery ( minus the quantity of snow in Oz).
    I have to say, when I see the pics of the sunshine and all year round outdoor
    life style I have to say I'd like that. When I'm shovelling the snow, I often think of my friends in Oz, sweeping the sand from their sandals :-).

I'm in Oz now and toying with the idea of Canada next year if I don't get the sponsorship here, and even if it's offered to me I'm not sure I'd take it up. I'm probably alone in this, but I definitely didn't come to Oz for the weather, strictly for the money and better career opportunities. In fact, I'd almost prefer to be in four feet of snow now rather than sat here having to have a fan on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lorz_xx

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Yet another ridiculous b1tchfest about Ireland! The OTT drivel you read here is mad. If you think Ireland is bad, then try living in Bolivia, or the favella's of Rio, or virtually all of the continent of Africa, or indeed about 90% of the world in general. Despite it's problems Ireland still remains one of the best countries in the world to live in, and is still in the top 15 countries in the world based on standard of living. A bit of perspective people. I never understand the need for people who have moved elsewhere to bash Ireland. Is it to try justify to oneself the reason one has moved half way across the world away from friends and family? I don't get it. If you like Australia, great. Why the need to insult another country though and the many positive people who are happy out in what is a great country. It's not like Australia is Peter Perfect either. Honestly, first world problems!

OP, I feel your pain. This is my 3rd Christmas in a row away from family and it is very tough. However unlike you, I really like Australia and have settled nicely here. But it is not home. I went back for the first time in 2 years for 3 weeks back in July, and from reading the general consensus here I was expecting to want to be "dying to get back to Oz" after a few days. Well nothing could have been further from the truth. I had a wonderful time catching up with everyone and I was extremely sad having to say goodbye again. I surrounded myself with positive people, people who have an understanding of perspective, and my experience was great as a result.

Enjoy the trip back and then come back out and give it a proper shot. Join a sports club or whatever. It's a great way to meet people. If you are still unhappy in 6 months then go travel and head home with no regrets.

I'm definitely gonna give it another go in oz but ultimately I no I'm going to move back to Ireland some day, I just can't stop thinking about home and the little things like the humour and familiar smells oz is so big and it's weird not walking 2 minutes down the road and bumping into someone you no lol I'm going to enjoy Christmas back home and who no's when I get back il be reminded of why I first left and want to get back to oz ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Pisco Sour wrote: »

Great post, a lot of Ireland bashing goes on in this forum. Ireland/Oz have their own pro's and con's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Its just that time of year. I'm doing six 13 hour days in a row this week and then working x-mas day so I'm even missing home a little bit

Christmas can go **** itself this year

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

First Christmas in Ireland since 2008.

Went to Bali last year, that was better.

Christmas jumpers are a big thing now, don't get it myself, irony maybe?
    Not much evidence of recession except in da meedja, hard to get a drink at the bar (the Dew Drop, Munroes, The Blue Note) or a book in Easons (The Good Room & The Shelborne Ultimatum).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

res ipsa wrote: »

Not much evidence of recession except in da meedja, hard to get a drink at the bar (the Dew Drop, Munroes, The Blue Note) or a book in Easons (The Good Room & The Shelborne Ultimatum).

Is this Galway you are in?
    The recession is destroying people's lives here.
    A few drinks at Christmas does not make it boom time baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

snowguy wrote: »
    I have to say, when I see the pics of the sunshine and all year round outdoor
    life style I have to say I'd like that.

Myth. In winter it rains all the time. And it gets cold. Even worse when most houses/apartments are not insulated and there is no double glazing.

Understand and accept this about Australia and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Myth. In winter it rains all the time. And it gets cold. Even worse when most houses/apartments are not insulated and there is no double glazing.

Understand and accept this about Australia and you'll be fine.
    The weather all over Australia is exactly the same? Myth.
    Depending on where you're living in Australia. Winter in Perth did get cold but it didn't rain that much. I think there was a two week period where it rained at some point during the day but never was it persistant like in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

res ipsa wrote: »

Stick around for Jan and Feb and notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

catbear wrote: »
    The weather all over Australia is exactly the same? Myth.
    Depending on where you're living in Australia. Winter in Perth did get cold but it didn't rain that much. I think there was a two week period where it rained at some point during the day but never was it persistant like in Ireland.

Whatever.

In NSW, VIC, QLD, NT it rains a **** load during winter and it's colder in NSW and VIC. NT gets a **** load of cyclones. Especially Darwin - where they all seem to start. Happy?

WA is not really Australia anyway. It's more of a holding cell for working class Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,462 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whatever.

In NSW, VIC, QLD, NT it rains a **** load during winter.
    The wet season in northern QLD and NT is in summer not winter. Summer is very warm and dry, summer is warm and humid.

Most of oz isn't sunny all year round. But a lot of the north doesn't have a typical winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Just back from Mildura. 42 degrees yesterday. Anyone who thinks that's "great weather" is off their rocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

Whatever.

In NSW, VIC, QLD, NT it rains a **** load during winter and it's colder in NSW and VIC. NT gets a **** load of cyclones. Especially Darwin - where they all seem to start. Happy?

WA is not really Australia anyway. It's more of a holding cell for working class Irish.

Erm, it was pretty much dry in QLD, well where I was anyway, throughout the entire winter....I may think you're getting your seasons mixed up. Summer is the wet season and even at that there's only been a couple of days and nights of rain. And to be honest it's a relief when it does!

Although I agree when it comes to winter the houses are woefully insulated and even though its mild compared to an Irish winter it gets dam cold indoors once the sun goes down.

Nonetheless, there's a lot more sunshine here than back home, maybe a bit too much...I've sweated more in the past year than my entire life. I do love the sun but it's a bit too much, the amount of people I've come across who have had skin cancer is incredibly alarming, one of the reasons why I do want to move back home eventually.

Merry Christmas maaates.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

Give it time. Its the holiday season and feeling a bit blue is normal due to use not being in Ireland. You might feel better ina few weeks. The folks here have said some fine reasons for you to stay there, or come back. They are very valid. Ultimately, the decision lies with you. Be with friends during the holiday season. Now might not be the time to make hasty decisions. You will have plenty of time after the new year. I have been in your situation for over 20 years. I lived in different countries and I always missed home, especially the holiday season. But it paid off in the end. That doesn't mean you have to do the same. Just give it a few more weeks before you decide. Good luck!

Do you not believe in working arseburger?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

Alrite OP..I'm currently in Oz and know what you mean.This is a long post but give it a read.

When I left home I absolutely hated Ireland and wanted to leave as soon as possible.Didnt think there was anything there for me and I didn't like the atmosphere and the lifestyle etc.

Now that I'm here that's changed a lot.I DO really miss Ireland and do want to go back some time possibly I stay.

Can I ask,where you're living(and how),who you're with and what you do.....I ask this in the sense of:
    -Do you have your own place or are you crashing in others place or hostels etc??
    -Are you with friends you've known for a while and are happy with or are you with people you've maybe met recently and still are only getting to know them
    -Are you working at what you want or just working to make a living.

I know from experience here the worst times that I've really wanted to go home were when I really didn't feel like I had my own place to come home to each day,getting cabin fever with friends who ive had to spend pretty much every waking minute with and not having any personal space of my own and also when I've been doing ****ty jobs just to get by and not enjoying it.

I'm here for the money to begin with...Make as much as I can and try set up a life for myself.If it comes to it and I end up here for life then that's what'll happen but from where I am now I can see how you may be in the same situation I was in.Coming up on a year here and possibly feeling its not what you wanted BUT you still may have not settled in( a year is a short period of time) and may not be living the life that you want.

If you feel that this is how it might be I would urge you to try and get what you want out of life here and see how you feel.Settle in your own place and try get work you enjoy.Enjoy the lifestyle,cos that's why we're all here.

If you feel like that's not how it is then maybe head back home but if you do I'd make sure you have your second year visa to come back on if you can.I know too many people who have gone home and regretted it and can't come back only for a 3 month holiday.

Hope you find what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lorz_xx

!Nicky! wrote: »
    Alrite OP..I'm currently in Oz and know what you mean.This is a long post but give it a read.

When I left home I absolutely hated Ireland and wanted to leave as soon as possible.Didnt think there was anything there for me and I didn't like the atmosphere and the lifestyle etc.

Now that I'm here that's changed a lot.I DO really miss Ireland and do want to go back some time possibly I stay.

Can I ask,where you're living(and how),who you're with and what you do.....I ask this in the sense of:
    -Do you have your own place or are you crashing in others place or hostels etc??
    -Are you with friends you've known for a while and are happy with or are you with people you've maybe met recently and still are only getting to know them
    -Are you working at what you want or just working to make a living.

I know from experience here the worst times that I've really wanted to go home were when I really didn't feel like I had my own place to come home to each day,getting cabin fever with friends who ive had to spend pretty much every waking minute with and not having any personal space of my own and also when I've been doing ****ty jobs just to get by and not enjoying it.

I'm here for the money to begin with...Make as much as I can and try set up a life for myself.If it comes to it and I end up here for life then that's what'll happen but from where I am now I can see how you may be in the same situation I was in.Coming up on a year here and possibly feeling its not what you wanted BUT you still may have not settled in( a year is a short period of time) and may not be living the life that you want.

If you feel that this is how it might be I would urge you to try and get what you want out of life here and see how you feel.Settle in your own place and try get work you enjoy.Enjoy the lifestyle,cos that's why we're all here.

If you feel like that's not how it is then maybe head back home but if you do I'd make sure you have your second year visa to come back on if you can.I know too many people who have gone home and regretted it and can't come back only for a 3 month holiday.

Hope you find what you want.

I'm living in Perth and I'm sharing an apartment with 4 of my closest friends that I've known since I was little and I'm also working in a really good company and I love my job to a normal outsider everything seems perfect and people would kill for the lifestyle in living at the moment but it just doesn't seem right without my family and Ireland it's the people in Australia that I'm finding most difficult to get used to they seem to not like us Irish and their humour sucks!!

lorz_xx wrote: »
    ........but it just doesn't seem right without my family and Ireland it's the people in Australia that I'm finding most difficult to get used to they seem to not like us Irish and their humour sucks!!
    I'm having the opposite experience, being Irish has been a great help. Perhaps it's just the particular people you're working with. I won't argue about the different sense of humour, but there are other aspects that make up for that. I wasn't expecting it to be the same as Ireland in the first place anyway, I'd been here before so knew what not to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 !Nicky!

Well if that's the case then it seems like you have a clear idea of what you want.Aussie culture isn't for everyone.I must say also that I do know people who have come and stayed a while and gone home and never regretted it.I think the biggest regret would be not to have tried to come out in the first place and to see it.Obviously you've had some good times.
    If its in your mind to return home and that's what you wanna do then I think you should.No point in being somewhere you're not happy just because the majority of people would think you're 'mad' to go home.

One thing I would say though is,if you haven't done it yet,then try save some money and visit the usual spots around oz.
    Whitsundays,Byron Bay,Fraser Island,Ayers rock(Best thing I've done in oz)

But all in all don't be afraid to do what makes you happy.The majority of the Irish people who come over here are doing exactly what they did back home anyway.Work mon-fri then piss it all away at the weekend.It just happens to be sunnier so everyone thinks its great.

Feel free to gimme a PM if you want any travel advice or anything at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

lorz_xx wrote: »
    As the title says I really miss Ireland :( and Dublin in particular, I have been in Australia for just over a year and I cannot seem to feel comfortable here yet every small thing reminds me of home, I cried the other day for over a hour when I watched an Ireland rugby match and heard the anthems!, I am going home to Dublin for Christmas next week so I am happy about that! I miss the accents, humor, craic, and even the weather. I have a job over here but I am seriously considering moving home even though the chance of me getting a job back home is pretty slim. I really don't no what to do HELP!!!!

Australia is not for everyone so if you miss Ireland that much, don't feel guilty about returning home for good. You've done well if you've been in Oz for more than a year and are feeling homesick. It sounds like you've given it a go but it might not be for you.

See how you feel while you are out home (you might even start to miss all things Australian) but if your not happy or content about returning, then maybe you should relocate back to the Emerald Isle. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Personally I believe that Ireland is a fantastic country but I dont feel the need to shout it from the roof top, I dont feel the need to prove it.

On the other hand too many of my friends living in Oz never stop harping on about how great the place is. I always get feeling they are trying to convince themselves more than me.

I have some friends who are genuinely settled and will not return, it just works for them. Others I expect to see in the near future.

Horses for courses..

Good luck OP, Christmas is probably the most difficult time to be away. You could always fire off a few CV's from Oz and take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Having spent the best part of 15 years moving around the world and back in Oz now for the second time in that period I concour that there is no place like home....but...
    The problem is making a living, even when surrounded with friends and family, if you can't make ends meet eventually it will wear you down if you're not earning a decent living.
    Majority of people need the degree of independence that a job gives, your own place, your own money....etc.
    Not sure of your visa situation but If you can go home and not mess up the chance of returning to Oz then go for it, if it doesn't work out...leave again.
    Just plan your exit strategy, if you go home will you be able to get a job and put money aside to get out again? If you're going home to sign on the dole then that's pretty much a one way ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

If i were over there i wouldn't come back to Ireland, at least not just yet unemployment is still up over 14% has been for years. Your friends/family might be here but still no job opportunities. Anyone who is in employment is getting fleeced by taxes. I'd try and hold out if even for a few more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

My advice would be to stick it out in Oz until you can (if it's an option) apply for PR & then citizenship. Once you have citizenship you can return at any stage in the future - you never know what's down the road.

In the meantime you could maybe return to Ireland twice a year - as soon as you get back to Oz book a flight to Ireland. This will give you something to look forward to & when feeling homesick you can cheer yourself up in the knowledge that you have a flight booked for the not so distant future. If finances allow you could also treat some of your family or friends to a flight (or to money towards a flight) out to visit you. This would break up the year quite nicely & you'd have the best of both worlds, with a plan to return home in the medium term.

Having said all that maybe Oz is simply not for you & it might be better for you to bite the bullet & return home. The decision, as you know, is yours. Just bear in mind that it's all very well coming home - at first it will be great catching up with friends & family, but the cold hard reality of no work & no prospects of it could soon lead to you missing your life in Oz a lot more tha you might think.....

Think things through properly, make a decision, make sure you are happy with that decision & stick to it. Next time you're home try living on €188 a week & see how far you get. That way you can gauge how long it would take to go through whatever savings you have if you do decide to return home for good. Unless there is a pretty good prospect of getting a job you may find that it might be more prudent to stay put for the time being at least. YOur present feelings of homesickness in Oz could soon be replaced by those of depression & hopelessness in Ireland if things don't work out on the job front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Stayed fro 88-2001. Liked it, enjoyed it but never really settled. it lacks soul and real culture and it's so far away. Recently things so **** here I have to look at going back. That's just how it is. You cant eat culture.

Advertisement