Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD after Vista SP2 installation.

Options
  • 18-12-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭

Hi, I hope this is the correct subforum.

I've got an Asus laptop which was not correctly receiving updates. I think this was due to a checkbox which meant that updates were only installed when in Admin mode. The owner used the machine via a standard user account.

I managed to get SP1 installed after some faffing around. It then easily downloaded another ~70 updates.

I managed today to get SP2 downloaded and it went 100% through the installation process. Upon reboot it threw up the BSOD with error:

stop: 0x00000079 (0x00000003,0x0000007C,0x00000006,0x00000000)

I've no idea as how to resolve this problem. There is data on the C: which the owner does not want to lose.

I cannot power up in Safe Mode. I think it falls over at CRCDisk.

How do I resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Hmm. Do you have a Vista installation CD?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nope, its partitioned onto a D:

Balls. I was going to suggest using the Windows Repair console from the Vista installation area after booting into the CD.

If theres vital data on it, you could dock the drive to another machine via a USB>>Sata/IDE docking cable/station and get the files off it that way. You should be able to view the drive as an external drive if you have that facility.

If you can dock the drive to another machine (it shouldnt be difficult to remove the drive from the laptop) the ChkDsk utility should fix any bad sectors on the drive too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can download the Vista disc legally here to perform a repair installation.

Nick

Will any external drive suffice? I've got a HP Presario CQ56 notebook running Windows 7 SP1.

Do I just connect an external drive to the HP and then connect the broken lappy to this one using a USB to USB cable. I *should* then be able to see the C: of the broken laptop. It should just be a matter of copying the files across to the external drive.

I then DL the vista package which yoyo has listed. Run it and then it will then repair the problem?

Is it as straightforward as that?

I presume that copying the screwed files across via the HP cannot cause a CRC error on this HP laptop?

• Advertisement

Will any external drive suffice? I've got a HP Presario CQ56 notebook running Windows 7 SP1.

Do I just connect an external drive to the HP and then connect the broken lappy to this one using a USB to USB cable. I *should* then be able to see the C: of the broken laptop. It should just be a matter of copying the files across to the external drive.

I then DL the vista package which yoyo has listed. Run it and then it will then repair the problem?

I presume that copying the screwed files across via the HP cannot cause a CRC error on this HP laptop?

If it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive the guide I linked to shows how to make a bootable USB key with Windows Vista that will work to do a repair install. You need a 4gb USB Key min to do this! :)

Nick

I actually meant removing the hard drive from the Asus laptop completely, and connecting it via a cable to another laptop/desktop, like you were connecting a portable hard drive. It would allow you to view the drive like a secondary drive on your laptop that you connect it to, and drag/drop files from it onto your working machine.

If you dont have that facility, I came across a download that may help you: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/. Its a download with the vista recovery console, which you could use along with yoyo's information to create a bootable usb. Boot into the USB and run the recovery console, which may repair your Windows Vista for you.

Please note that the link above is from a third party site and I cant guarantee it'll work, but it seems to have good positive feedback on the comments section.

Sorry for slow reply, dinner called :)

EDIT: just saw that the link i provided isnt free, so ignore it. yoyo's info above is more useful to you :)

Can I boot using Ubunto and transfer to the external drive that way?

Yoyo, does your option wipe down all the data stored, or can I just plough ahead without backing it up?

You'll have to do a full reinstall I'd say. STOP 0x00000079 is a Mismatched HAL error. Basically, the boot loader and HAL are not the same versions (one is probably SP1 while the other is SP2). I'd say there's more damage to it than that.

Can I boot using Ubunto and transfer to the external drive that way?

Yoyo, does your option wipe down all the data stored, or can I just plough ahead without backing it up?

Yep you could boot into Ubuntu if you have it installed. Should be able to view the hard drive files in that. You might be asked for the admin or username password from Windows to access the C drive, but so long as you have that, you should be fine.

• Advertisement

This "repair install" should keep all data intact, but you are of course better off backing up everything before starting. Try startup repair first, failing that this option, after backing up.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

buy win 7 or win 8 and ditch vista... it's crap anyways

buy win 7 or win 8 and ditch vista... it's crap anyways

Yeah Vista is the worst OS that Microsoft have developed, thats for sure. I always say that anyone who likes Vista has never used Windows 7. Its so much better than it, in every single way.

Can we keep on topic folks. No more vista sucks get x or y. Stick to the topic at hand.

okay, I'm presently copying data over from hard drive to a high speed USB drive.

It is qouting 14 hours to transfer 60Gb @ 1.2Mb/sec. Is this not a really slow transfer rate? Any idea as to how I can do it more quickly?

The USB drive is formatted as NTFS.

Quoted completion time now risen to 23 hours!

Any suggestions?

I've done some Googling and the USB drive cannot be at fault as it is a brand new hi speed drive, which has rarely been used.

Is this an issue between Ubuntu and the USB stick's drivers?

Advertisement