Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unfair Dismissal?

• 18-12-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, I've just been fired from my job basically for calling a customer an eegit. I was told it was on the grounds of gross misconduct. I've worked there for 6 years. Had no warnings for at least 6 months. The original complaint mentions nothing of the word "eegit" being used. The complaint says I called the customer "dickhead" to which I have 2 witnesses that I did not. Just wondering of I have any grounds for unfair dismissal?

Thanks in advance,
    Craig.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

If I were an employer I'd consider the use of either words towards a customer to be gross misconduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

From what you say in your post, you have no grounds. What does your contract say re sackable offences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Clintyman wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've just been fired from my job basically for calling a customer an eegit. I was told it was on the grounds of gross misconduct. I've worked there for 6 years. Had no warnings for at least 6 months. The original complaint mentions nothing of the word "eegit" being used. The complaint says I called the customer "dickhead" to which I have 2 witnesses that I did not. Just wondering of I have any grounds for unfair dismissal?

Thanks in advance,
    Craig.

You need to give more information on what process you were taken through. Most important is who was the witness to the incident for your employer and did you get a chance to ask them questions? Do you work for a UK based retailer or an Irish one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Clintyman

I'm a barman on Ireland. The incident happened at 2am after a Christmas party. The customer asked my name to which I gave it to him. He was aggressive And started to threaten me that he would complain, to which I replied "go away you eegit". I was brought into an investigation meeting and then an actual meeting today which resulted in my contract being terminated. 1 week before Christmas too! I've never had a complaint made against me in the 6 years I worked there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Clintyman wrote: »
    I'm a barman on Ireland. The incident happened at 2am after a Christmas party. The customer asked my name to which I gave it to him. He was aggressive And started to threaten me that he would complain, to which I replied "go away you eegit". I was brought into an investigation meeting and then an actual meeting today which resulted in my contract being terminated. 1 week before Christmas too! I've never had a complaint made against me in the 6 years I worked there.

What happened during the investigation meeting?

Did you admit you'd called the customer an eegit? Where you fired for calling him a dickhead or something more general?

Did the same person conduct the investigation and the disciplinary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Talk to a legal professional, you're asking for legal advice which won't be given here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement