Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Satinwood on top of Primer

• 18-12-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

I am painting my fireplace surround at the moment.

It was bare wood, so I used Traditional Wood Primer to start. I gave the wood three coats of this. After this drying and a light sand I applied Quick Dry Satinwood. This is drying as if it is water sitting on top of oil.

Any advice on why this is happening and how to prevent it, so that I can get the wood painted cream before Christmas?

Picture of the drying
    paintdrying.jpg

Primer & Satinwood
    primersatinwood.jpg

Instructions from Primer
    primerinstructions.jpg

Instructions from Satinwood
    satinwoodinstructions.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

This is rather unusual. The fact the satinwood is water based shouldn't make a difference but I would suggest using an undercoat after the primer. Traditionally it was a coat of primer then undercoat then the satinwood or gloss.

The satinwood is obviously not adhering to the primer that said prime wasn't intended for three coats, just one well spread coat.

I suspect you didn't let the primer dry fully and because one is oil based and the other water based you are getting this blistering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

sgarvan wrote: »
    I am painting my fireplace surround at the moment.

It was bare wood, so I used Traditional Wood Primer to start. I gave the wood three coats of this. After this drying and a light sand I applied Quick Dry Satinwood. This is drying as if it is water sitting on top of oil.

The primer you used was oil based and the satinwood is water based.

How long did you leave it between coats on the primer and then for the satinwood?

I think this is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Cheers for your comments.

I did three costs of primer as the first two didn't cover the wood fully.

I painted the third coat of primer on Sunday afternoon and did the satinwood this evening. The primer says recoatable after 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Cheers for your comments.

I did three costs of primer as the first two didn't cover the wood fully.

I painted the third coat of primer on Sunday afternoon and did the satinwood this evening. The primer says recoatable after 24 hours.

The purpose of primer is not to hide the wood..it's merely to prime.

The primer saying recoatable after 24 hours is justa guide..it all depends on conditions and the fact you layered on 3 coats means it would take longer to dry. I still say the primer wasn't fully dry.

Get a small piece of wood put on a single light coat of primer.. with painting less is more...2 light coats I always better than one heavy. Then the next day try the satinwood. Bet it won't blister.

Cheers

I will leave it another day or two and try again with the satinwood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

That waterbased satin doesn't like going over oil based primer.When fully dry give it a good sand down as it will now dry with ridges,Pick up a small tin of water based undercoat and apply a coat on once you have sanded and dusted it down,then do your satin.
    The oil based primer you have drys with a slight sheen and the satin doesn't take to it.

What I ended up doing was contacting fleetwood (woodies paint manufacturers) with the pics above and some more details. They were stunned at what had happened as they said thy had tested the satinwood with that primer. In the end Fleetwood replaced the paint I had purchased for an oil based satinwood. I sanded down the fireplace last night and painted with the oil based satinwood tonight. Paint went on a treat.

Fleetwood are taking the paint I purchased to carry out further tests to see if it is a bad batch etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

What I ended up doing was contacting fleetwood (woodies paint manufacturers) with the pics above and some more details. They were stunned at what had happened as they said thy had tested the satinwood with that primer. In the end Fleetwood replaced the paint I had purchased for an oil based satinwood. I sanded down the fireplace last night and painted with the oil based satinwood tonight. Paint went on a treat.

Fleetwood are taking the paint I purchased to carry out further tests to see if it is a bad batch etc etc

Just out of curiosity how long did you leave the primer to dry between each of three coats?

robbie1977 wrote: »

Just out of curiosity how long did you leave the primer to dry between each of three coats?

Between 24 and 48 hours.

And then 48 hours between primer and satinwood.

Advertisement