Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude Festival 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

anyone recommend any accommodation near Marlay Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

dinneenp wrote: »
    anyone recommend any accommodation near Marlay Park?

Taylor's Three Rock Hotel is right beside the park, never stayed there so can't comment on quality but you won't beat the location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Beacon isn't too far. Or Beweley's in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Anybody else get the impression they're waiting until after Forbidden Fruit to make more announcements about Longitude? That probably makes sense I suppose. The competition will be out of the way and there will be over a month to promote this festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

JJ wrote: »
    Anybody else get the impression they're waiting until after Forbidden Fruit to make more announcements about Longitude? That probably makes sense I suppose. The competition will be out of the way and there will be over a month to promote this festival.

nope. im pretty sure thats the final lineup for longitude!

• Advertisement

Considering there's supposed to be comedy, spoken word, etc acts at this festival, I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Longitude said when they announced Japandroids etc. and the day breakdowns that it was the "full lineup".
    whether or not that just means full music lineup and that comedy etc. is still to come, i don't know, but i'm certainly not expecting any more bands/music acts to be announced.

wouldn't really make any sense to wait until after Forbidden Fruit to announce anything given that people only have a finite amount of money, and the sooner Longitude can get people buying a ticket and committing to their event, the better. if they were both by the same promoter, I could understand waiting until one is over so that they don't split the audience...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

will there be different music stages or is the lineup for music all on one stage? what time do you expect it to finish at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

ronano wrote: »
    will there be different music stages or is the lineup for music all on one stage? what time do you expect it to finish at
    There will be at least 2 stages. It will all be over by 11pm each night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

There will be at least 2 stages. It will all be over by 11pm each night

you are probably right - which means that we are going to lose some of the Kraftwerk magic, as it will still be enough daylight when they will go on stage. Better than nothing anyway.

• Advertisement

The Kraftwerk FB page for their Longitude appearance says that they're going to start at 11pm though I'd have difficulty believing that because there's usually an 11pm curfew for these type of events.

https://www.facebook.com/events/511860598856298

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2013/06/05/the-five-stages-of-longitude-and-august-shows-for-marlay-park/
    Those heading to Longitude in Dunlin’s Marlay Park in July can look forward to spending their time wandering around five stages, according to the licence application lodged by Festival Republic, on behalf of MCD, with Dun Laoaghaire Rathdown County Council.

According to the application and event management plan, we can expect “three music stages and two multi arts stages”, with all the stages bar the main stage to be tented. There is also a “children’s area” per the site drawings attached to the application. The site capacity is 9,999 people and they’re expecting a 50/50 male/female breakdown (see section 17.1 for portaloo provisions). Music will run each day from 2pm to 11pm and there will be no re-admission to the site. Security contracts have been awarded to UK-based companies SLS and Specialized Security and the security guidelines are very much in keeping with the post-Swedish House Mafia shows at Marlay Park last year (see appendices 19 to 22).

The letter of consent included with the application from Dun Laoaghaire Rathdown County Council to MCD, giving them permission to apply for the licence, refers to a contract agreement from May 2006. It would be interesting to see that document and the terms, conditions and duration of that agreement.

It’s also interesting to note the existence of another licence application from MCD for “concert consisting of music performance” at Marlay Park on August 3 and 4. Application OEL 02/13 was lodged on May 24 and the relevant application is not currently online. Again, as has become the norm this summer, it’s Festival Republic who are taking the lead, a further sign of the Live Nation takeover of the Irish live music business.

Thanks to its investment in Festival Republic, Live Nation now has a hand, act and part in the Phoenix Park shows, Longitude, Oxegen and, most famously, the Electric Picnic. There is also the not insignificant matter of Dublin’s O2 and it’s believed that the company are the frontrunners to buy Harry Crosbie’s stake in the venue from NAMA. It’s been a long time coming and they’ve done so with great stealth, but Live Nation are now very significant players in the Irish live music market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

That all sounds very encouraging.

Was wondering if there'd be 2 or 3 stages with the numbers of acts on each day. With around 7 acts per stage over ~9 hours of the day, there's plenty of room for a good set for all bands and breathing room to avoid clashes.

Far too excited for this!

Modest Mouse have cancelled their Longitude appearance and the rest of their European tour:
    http://www.phantom.ie/page/190.195/2669/0/News---Modest-Mouse-pull-out-of-Longitude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Modest Mouse have cancelled their Longitude appearance and the rest of their European tour:
    http://www.phantom.ie/page/190.195/2669/0/News---Modest-Mouse-pull-out-of-Longitude

Bad buzz.. I have Sunday tickets and mm were my main reason for going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Bad buzz.. I have Sunday tickets and mm were my main reason for going.

they would have been my main reason for going too.
    Go see Hot Chip, should be good

Kraftwerk are worth the ticket price alone, everything else is just gravy. Still, it doesn't look good when one of the almost at the top of the bill bands has to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I presume they'll replace them? Hopefully it's someone as good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They've sold their tickets now, so probably won't bother replacing MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

2 new acts to be added next week!
    Regrettably Modest Mouse have cancelled their European Tour and as a result they will not be appearing at the Longitude Festival.

Anyone who purchased a Sunday Day Ticket and wishes to obtain a refund due to the non appearance of Modest Mouse, can do so from point of purchase up to the 30th of June .

Longitude will be announcing two new Sunday additions next week.

MCD would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Laura Marling, Alt J, the national, metronomy please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

the prodigy be great haha

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

National and Prodigy to big to sub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Joekers

Be sick if its Alt-J flying to Magaluf on the Saturday so only getting the Friday in and I missed out on tickets for their olympia gig been dying to see them

Hope its not Bloc Party either ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Joekers wrote: »
    Be sick if its Alt-J flying to Magaluf on the Saturday so only getting the Friday in and I missed out on tickets for their olympia gig been dying to see them

Alt-J are playing somewhere else on the Sunday so I'd say its safe to say they wont be appearing.

Personally I can't see the 2 additions being anyone big, Block Party's schedule is free but can't see them subing the main stage and they are too big for a tent.

lc180 wrote: »
    Alt-J are playing somewhere else on the Sunday so I'd say its safe to say they wont be appearing.

Personally I can't see the 2 additions being anyone big, Block Party's schedule is free but can't see them subing the main stage and they are too big for a tent.

Yea im hoping Bloc Party turn up at EP :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭Clemenza

Really excited for this now!

The festival website has finally been updated with transport info, news, etc:

http://www.longitude.ie

• Advertisement

Here's the info about the festival shuttle bus service. The advanced online booking doesn't seem to be open yet:
    Customs House Quay to Marlay Park:

13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:00, 19:00

Marlay Park to Customs House Quay:

From 22:00 onwards

Return Tickets only being sold at €10 on the day or €9 for advanced online booking.

Here's a few reasons why you should take the coach...

1. It's direct - you'll get dropped off and picked up from the festival site.
    2. You won't have to listen to the woman on the sat nav or try reading an upside map whilst driving - the lovely drivers at Marathon Travel know exactly where they're going.
    3. You'll be tired - after a long day it's going to be safer letting someone else do the driving.
    4. The fun can begin as soon as you get on the coach - it will be full of your fellow festivalers.
    5. It's greener - everyone on a coach instead of separate cars means less of an impact on the environment.

Advertisement