Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude Festival 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LawwRaaa

Mr.S wrote: »
    If they stop people bringing in food for the day then that's ridiculous. I can't see security stopping people bringing in sandwiches and stuff, there would be riots.

It may seem ridiculous but at Phoenix Park sandwiches and lunches were confiscated. I know security want to keep the festival under control (and more importantly for the organisers: make crazy profits on food) but actions like that seem too extreme!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

chopser wrote: »
    Getting more and more difficult to do this of late.

Think the solitary naggin down the crotch will have to do, would be great to snhneak a cheeky litre in somehow !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i can't remember the last gig/festival i was at where food WAS allowed in to the main music area, both here and abroad.

surely no food/drinks is standard stuff? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

I'm really only going for Kraftwerk. Very tempted just to head in for 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Why bringing food into the venue hasn't been secured as a right in the license is beyond me. People drinking on an empty stomach is exactly the scenario they should be trying to encourage people to avoid. The days nightclubs had to give you free dinner were the best. Never understood why that was taken away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 J0kerman2

Pygmalion on South William Street is good on a Sunday with cheap drinks but it gets very busy. 5€ after 9pm though

Workmans on the quays gets a decent crowd too and its free in.

Haven't heard of any afterpartys as such apart from the Saturday in Button Factory, hopefully something gets announced this week!

Would love for something like the Forbidden Fruit afterparty. That was amazing, almost like a mini-festival in itself. I'l probably end up in Workmens. I usually have a good night there and I imagine they'll draw in a lot of Longitude punters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I sent mcd an email asking if alcohol could be brought in and got this reply

"Yes you are, just not over 500ml and not excessive amounts."

Well that clears things up. What's an excessive amount if they give you an exact amount that you can't bring? I don't think anyone has a clue what the policy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Think the solitary naggin down the crotch will have to do, would be great to snhneak a cheeky litre in somehow !

Get a pack of durex, pour a naggin into a condom, tie like a balloon. Like my Mam always said you can use a 2nd one to be safer but it isn't necessary. You should be able to get 2 naggins in that way down your pants, with a significantly lower chance of them being found.

An alternative is the bread roll technique, get a bottle of cadet or similar (or you could use a condom again) and some half baguette bread rolls, scoop out most of the bread to make a husk, insert the booze then wrap in cling film. The very dedicated may put lettuce into to enhance the ruse.

I've often just used my camera case either, I put the camera round my neck then my gf keeps the case in her bag with some booze in it.

There are many techniques to keep festival costs down, use your initiative!

J0kerman2 wrote: »
    Would love for something like the Forbidden Fruit afterparty. That was amazing, almost like a mini-festival in itself. I'l probably end up in Workmens. I usually have a good night there and I imagine they'll draw in a lot of Longitude punters

one of Vampire Weekend is DJing in the Twisted Pepper on the Saturday night. the excellent Space Dimension Controller is playing there that night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Drinks I can understand (unless its sealed and non alcoholic), but i've never had a problem bringing food into festivals or gigs! granted I hardly bring a 6 course meal in my bag but the likes of a sandwich or whatever if i'm going straight from work is never a problem!

I can understand that the promoters of the big Irish festivals whore their events out to the big brewing corporations to boost their own profits, but I'm pretty sure it's uniquely Irish (or possibly American originally).

Any festivals I've been to in the UK or Europe let you bring in whatever you want and as much as you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

@ 2ndcoming: Mad skillz.

From the info part of the website it seems to me that no alcohol is allowed, only sealed fruit juice/water that's 500ml or less. It's confusing though because of the way it's worded but I think it means that a reasonable amount of food and cigarettes are permitted but alcohol isn't.

• Excessive amounts of food, cigarettes and alcohol may be refused entry to the site
    •Cans, alcohol, opened plastic drinks bottles or drinks bottles over 500ml in size**

All the above items will be confiscated. Anyone resisting confiscation of disallowed items may be evicted. If you are evicted, we will take a photograph of you as part of the eviction process.

**Only sealed plastic bottles of water 500ml or under and sealed cartons of juice will be permitted into the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

sin0city wrote: »
    @ 2ndcoming: Mad skillz.

From the info part of the website it seems to me that no alcohol is allowed, only sealed fruit juice/water that's 500ml or less. It's confusing though because of the way it's worded but I think it means that a reasonable amount of food is allowed but cigarettes and alcohol aren't.

• Excessive amounts of food, cigarettes and alcohol may be refused entry to the site
    •Cans, alcohol, opened plastic drinks bottles or drinks bottles over 500ml in size**

All the above items will be confiscated. Anyone resisting confiscation of disallowed items may be evicted. If you are evicted, we will take a photograph of you as part of the eviction process.

**Only sealed plastic bottles of water 500ml or under and sealed cartons of juice will be permitted into the arena.

There's no way they'll confiscate cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I sent mcd an email asking if alcohol could be brought in and got this reply

"Yes you are, just not over 500ml and not excessive amounts."

Well that clears things up. What's an excessive amount if they give you an exact amount that you can't bring? I don't think anyone has a clue what the policy is.

No chance you'll be let in with alcohol.
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    Get a pack of durex, pour a naggin into a condom, tie like a balloon. Like my Mam always said you can use a 2nd one to be safer but it isn't necessary. You should be able to get 2 naggins in that way down your pants, with a significantly lower chance of them being found.

I would in me hole drink out of a jonny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

OhHiMark wrote: »
    There's no way they'll confiscate cigarettes

Yeah, sorry, just edited that.
    If you tried to bring in a sleeve I think they might though.

I can understand that the promoters of the big Irish festivals whore their events out to the big brewing corporations to boost their own profits, but I'm pretty sure it's uniquely Irish (or possibly American originally).

Any festivals I've been to in the UK or Europe let you bring in whatever you want and as much as you want.
    i've been to multiple festivals around Europe and none of them allowed alcohol into the main arenas, and i'm certain it's standard practice amongst all the major UK festivals bar Glastonbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Drink in a condom!! haha!!! I'd rather go teetotal thanks!

Are we gonna have any alternatives to heineken? I'm guessing bacardi and vodka will be plentiful, but what about other beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

i've been to multiple festivals around Europe and none of them allowed alcohol into the main arenas, and i'm certain it's standard practice amongst all the major UK festivals bar Glastonbury.

Can only drink in designated zones inside festival area in Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Most allow you bring drink into the campsite. Very very few mainstream festivals with drink sponsors let you bring drink into the main arena. Glastonbury is the only one I've encountered and that was simply because it hasn't a main arena. I suspect alot of smaller dance/botique festivals probably allowed drink in their earlier years but I've been at big festivals in 6 European countries (England, Denmark, Hungary, Spain, France and Belgium) and none of them allowed drink in the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Empty a sun cream bottle. Pour some vodski in. It's going to be a hot day so they shouldn't take any notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Brought liters of rum into primavera over the years. So much that it cost a small fortune on coke mixers and had to give loads away. Think ill stick to the beer and maybe a naggin on the bus journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭smilgy

Just open a water bottle without breaking the seal and fill it with vodka, problem solved.

Red Bull will be hosting afterparties in the Academy on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Acts TBA.
    http://nialler9.com/the-nialler9-dublin-gig-guide-july-16th-22nd/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Has anyone booked the shuttle bus yet?
    The longitude page states 1pm is the first bus yet when you click on the link 2pm is the first time available. Considering that the first acts are on at 1:30pm this is a bit of a problem

seems Petite Noir have been removed from the bill too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jaume

Hey guys, some timetables I have put together which help finding clashes and stuff.

Thought I would share so others can use them so feel free to share:

PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/view/5m75yfndk2dedb7/Longitude_(Electricitat)_1.0.pdf

Excel: http://www.mediafire.com/view/vpbwa41t1srlovf/Longitude_(Electricitat)_1.0.xlsx

Let me know if there are any typos.

Also, here is a show I broadcast in Raidió na Life (in Catalan) about Longitude if you feel like getting in the mood for the festival:

http://www.mixcloud.com/electricitat/electricitat-leictreachas-escpecial-longitude-festival-04-07-2013-broadcast/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

so its edwin on the decks i suppose :P

would you say places that are having the after parties will be strict on dress code? in reality i wont be wearing nice cloths/shoes if im headin to a festival to jump up n down n get shhhhewtty etc n then going out after to a night?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

Was up in the park this evening. It's shaping up quite nicely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hey folks,

I really want to go on Saturday. Was meant to see Kalkbrenner in Fabric 2 years ago. I made it but he couldn't because of the big snow.

Anyway, nobody I know is going. That in itself doesn't bother me. I go to stuff by myself regularly. However, it's after the day's events that I'm concerned about.

I'm up for going into town and keeping things going but being from the west, I see myself with nowhere to go when clubs close Saturday night. What time does the latest club close? I don't mean some snotty wine bar on leeson street. I mean Button, pepper, workmans etc.

No point in going to a hostel as I won't sleep and they kick out at 10am anyway. So I guess the only option is a bus back to Galway at 7am. Would be grand if clubs stayed open til that time but they don't so what time is latest club and/or any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I can't wait for Longitude. Foals, Pheonix, Vampire Weekend and Villagers are the highlights for me. The sun is going to be splitting the rocks so it'll be lots of factor 50 and a hat, nothing else!

As for booze, I really can't see them allowing you to bring drink into the arena. I was at Kasabian at Marley Park last year the cops were out in force taking drink off people outside. That was only a few weeks after Pheonix Park riots so maybe that was the reason.

A naggin down the front of your pants when your going in. It's the only area they don't search!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Toast wrote: »
    Why bringing food into the venue hasn't been secured as a right in the license is beyond me. People drinking on an empty stomach is exactly the scenario they should be trying to encourage people to avoid.

Most people either eat before they get there, or buy a burger inside :rolleyes: Personally, I don't want to be smelling someones manky tuna and egg sandwiches when I'm trying to enjoy the music.
    The days nightclubs had to give you free dinner were the best. Never understood why that was taken away.
    The food they served up in nightclubs back in the day was nasty.

Advertisement