Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand poked vs. Machine

Options
  • 18-12-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

So, I've got a design for my tattoo and originally, I was going to get it done with a machine but a couple of people on seeing the design have said that maybe I should consider getting it hand poked. The question is what are the pros and cons of each method?
    for reference, here's the image
    ThorsHammer.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

More than anything, the main difference with a hand poked piece is style. It also causes much less trauma to the skin and you wont leak plasma the day after getting it done.

The downside would probably be time. It would take a lot longer getting handpoked verses machine. And you would want to find an artist who is well up to the task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Thor's hammer? I love that design. Is there anywhere in Ireland that actually does hand poking? Bamboo tattoos were all over the place when I was in Thailand I would love to have got one but funds were a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Don't lines from handpoking "bleed" much more over time? I thought that was the reason a lot of the artists who handpoke today do so, as the shading actually improves over time. If that's the case you're probably better of getting that done with a machine as it's a lot of intricate lines, I'd imagine getting such a piece by hand would also take ages. (I know you're probably thinking I don't mind if it takes ages so long as the piece looks good in the end, but the pain is supposed to be quite intolerable compared to getting tattooed by a machine so you could be talking several sessions).

Also I think a lot of artists who handpoke still outline using a machine anyway, even if you decide to go ahead with handpoking you'll probably struggle to find an artist in Ireland who'll be up for the job.

Did the people who recommended you consider it getting handpoked give a reason as to why on seeing the drawing? I'm curious, because I don't really know a lot about the method, but to me it seems like the kind of piece you wouldn't get handpoked. But again, I don't know that much about the method!

Don't lines from handpoking "bleed" much more over time? I thought that was the reason a lot of the artists who handpoke today do so, as the shading actually improves over time. If that's the case you're probably better of getting that done with a machine as it's a lot of intricate lines, I'd imagine getting such a piece by hand would also take ages. (I know you're probably thinking I don't mind if it takes ages so long as the piece looks good in the end, but the pain is supposed to be quite intolerable compared to getting tattooed by a machine so you could be talking several sessions).

Also I think a lot of artists who handpoke still outline using a machine anyway, even if you decide to go ahead with handpoking you'll probably struggle to find an artist in Ireland who'll be up for the job.

Did the people who recommended you consider it getting handpoked give a reason as to why on seeing the drawing? I'm curious, because I don't really know a lot about the method, but to me it seems like the kind of piece you wouldn't get handpoked. But again, I don't know that much about the method!

It doesn't hurt much more than getting done by machine. It's a different sensation altogether though.

There are a few artists in Ireland that offer the service. And it's not true that most outline with a machine.

Phil Cummins, who had a studio in Cobh in Cork, now is touring the country

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.260454267391831.47179.186407011463224&type=3

Boff Konkerz, who was at the tattoo convention this year and comes back to Ireland fairly often

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.369908403061507.100530.100001270503242&type=3

And Ferank Manseed, who also comes to Ireland often enough

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1396253715803.2054618.1516026697&type=3

There was another handpoke artist mentioned on this forum before, but his name escapes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Thanks, yeah Ferank Manseed's stuff is excellent. Having looked at some of that work now I've changed my mind, I can see where they were coming from in saying that design would look good handpoked.

• Advertisement

Having looked at some of that work now I've changed my mind, I can see where they were coming from in saying that design would look good handpoked.

I agree! I think it could look really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

If I was to get it hand poked, I would be going to either Denmark or Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

John Deegan at Inkwell does hand tattoos .

http://www.inkwelltattoo.net/index.php

John Deegan at Inkwell does hand tattoos .

http://www.inkwelltattoo.net/index.php

That's the guy I couldn't think of!

Advertisement