Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT repeats/External repeats

Options
  • 18-12-2012 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I am just enquiring on behalf of my brother:
    My brother is going to do terrible in his final year, and possibly fail one or all of his modules in the January / Christmas exams. He is doing Science at DIT. He feels pretty optimistic about his final thesis coming up (topic is irrelevant) and did super in a module which is entirely CA.
    Question is:
    If he passes (well) some components, can he repeat the year and only repeat the modules he failed without discrimination on his GPA? (ie. Still possibly get a 1:1)
    If he repeats externally, can he pop into the odd lecture to keep abreast of things in case things change?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Question is:
    If he passes (well) some components, can he repeat the year and only repeat the modules he failed without discrimination on his GPA? (ie. Still possibly get a 1:1)
    If he repeats externally, can he pop into the odd lecture to keep abreast of things in case things change?
    Sure as long as he can get a 1.1 with a maximum of 40% in the subjects that he is repeating

Technically no but some lectures have no attendance taken so I'm sure he could find out the timetables and come in for lectures, depends very much on the course and the module in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Can he just repeat the whole year again as if he was doing it for a first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Is it possible just to do 4th year from scratch again like repeating the Leaving, and still get whatever grade he came out with, IE, no cap on his gpa?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is it possible just to do 4th year from scratch again like repeating the Leaving, and still get whatever grade he came out with, IE, no cap on his gpa?
    If you repeat a year as a whole your entire degree is afaik limited to 40% if you repeat modules those modules are limited to 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 7 andreas gross

Due to financial issues, I just payed all my fees for my last years in college now(yesterday).
    Today I opened DIT student online services to see which subjects I have to repeat. I realized that 9 of my modules are marked as differed, why that? I did defer 2 of them, so I was expecting to repeat only 7(I have chosen to repeat dude to personal circumstances, working, and looking after family while in college at the same time).

The worse part of the story is, my current job in a tech company wants me to handle all my final year results as a pass, before January 2019. So now, if I can't fix this mistake, do you think that DIT will let me get all the possible marks(with exams, assessments, assignments) before January 2019?

I can go to DIT next Wednesday only, I will let you know how things are going...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

firstly you need to speak with your exams office - by phone or email and confirm your applications to defer the modules was processed correctly. You dont need to call.

Not sure what the second part of your question means. You have deferred your modules to the next sitting - which is the exams commencing next week. If you pass your outstanding modules in the supplementals you will prob graduate in the autumn.

You defo need to contact your exams office.

Advertisement