Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red card.

Options
  • 18-12-2012 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

I got a red card for this post. Pm'd the mod who ignored me. Contacted a cmod who backs up the card on the grounds that it was personal abuse. And directed me hear to appeal.

Now I'd like to get another cmod and admin review of this and an explanation as to how a description of his post is deemed personal abuse.

From my discussion with the cmod in pm I am informed that I attacked the poster, while other posts attacks on me through insults directed at my posts and argument is fine because they didnt attack me personally. That to me is selective application of the charter.

I know we cant get into that here but I'd like a clear explanation of why my post is worthy of a red card (if it is) and then I'll get around to highlighting the pick and mix moderating.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I am the CMod that has been in discussion with the OP and in effect already gone through the CMod stage of the appeal, it makes sense for me to summarise where we got to. I don't see any need to get another CMod to review this given I was acting as a CMod when dealing with your original PM

The post that you received a red card for was in direct response to another poster (who also received a red card for their post and was banned from the forum shortly thereafter), was
    Scioch wrote: »
    The hypocrisy of your pretentious tripe is stomach churning.
    The local mods considered that abusive towards the other poster and issued a red card. I agree it is abusive and that is why, as I explained in our PM exchanges, I indicated I would uphold the ban.

As already indicated the posts that were abusive towards you were dealt with via a combination of cards and a ban, although none of those mod actions are the subject of this appeal. Rather than respond in-thread you should have simply reported the post and left the local mods to deal with (which is what they did)

I can see no reason to change the position I took in our PM exchange and hence am upholding the red card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Beasty wrote: »
    As I am the CMod that has been in discussion with the OP and in effect already gone through the CMod stage of the appeal, it makes sense for me to summarise where we got to. I don't see any need to get another CMod to review this given I was acting as a CMod when dealing with your original PM

The post that you received a red card for was in direct response to another poster (who also received a red card for their post and was banned from the forum shortly thereafter), was

The local mods considered that abusive towards the other poster and issued a red card. I agree it is abusive and that is why, as I explained in our PM exchanges, I indicated I would uphold the ban.

As already indicated the posts that were abusive towards you were dealt with via a combination of cards and a ban, although none of those mod actions are the subject of this appeal. Rather than respond in-thread you should have simply reported the post and left the local mods to deal with (which is what they did)

I can see no reason to change the position I took in our PM exchange and hence am upholding the red card

Well if none of those other posts are the subject of this appeal why are you addressing them ? Also in your pm's you accused me of (and seemed to partially base your view of my card on) being the problem by initiating the disquiet with an opinion I stuck to, despite it winding other posters up. You inferred I was lucky not to be carded for that. When I asked for clarification on what was wrong in having an alternate opinion you said I was entitled to that but not to put it across in an abusive manner. You then refused to clarify further how I was abusive in my other posts. So thats where we got to, you laid blame on me and then refused to explain why.

Those other posts were attacks on my posts. My post was an attack on that post. And that post was nothing BUT personal abuse, and quite a bit of it too. My issue with regards the rest of the posts is based on the card I got. If a description of a post is abuse then so too were all the descriptions of my posts and my argument. "Horseshít, nonsense, rubbish, not worth a curse etc".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am not addressing those other posts but simply referring to them and the action taken given you had referred to them yourself. The card was given for personal abuse in the post you linked to. I agree it was personal abuse and have upheld the card. With regard to your own earlier posts (which were not actioned) I stated
    However I think the red was reasonable for the comments you made towards the other poster, particularly in the context of you earlier contributions
    I did not state those earlier posts were "abusive" but that you had "wound a few posters up with your comments about Connaught not trying"
    The point I was making was that your persistence in defending your position wound other posters up. They reacted and received appropriate disciplinary action. You responded in a personally abusive manner and also received appropriate disciplinary action

You may ask for an Admin to review this decision

Beasty wrote: »
    I am not addressing those other posts but simply referring to them and the action taken given you had referred to them yourself. The card was given for personal abuse in the post you linked to. I agree it was personal abuse and have upheld the card. With regard to your own earlier posts (which were not actioned) I stated
    I did not state those earlier posts were "abusive" but that you had "wound a few posters up with your comments about Connaught not trying"
    The point I was making was that your persistence in defending your position wound other posters up. They reacted and received appropriate disciplinary action. You responded in a personally abusive manner and also received appropriate disciplinary action

You may ask for an Admin to review this decision

There was nothing wrong with my earlier contributions and you did indeed imply that they were abusive as when I pressed you for why me having an opinion was an issue you said that I was not entitled to expressive that opinion in an abusive manner.

And as I said in the pm's it was not my intention to wind anyone up. I stated my opinion and I backed it up when asked to. I responded politely to quite impolite posts and made my arguments in a reasonable manner. There was nothing wrong with my previous posts. The problem is in how comfortable other posts are in attacking people on there. They attacked me and I ignored it. Except for 4pp's post which was completely out of order in any context. He had no interest in doing anything but insulting me because he disagreed with what I said. So I called his posts what I thought it was. Same as all the rest who called my posts horseshít, nonsense, rubbish, not worth a curse etc.

Yet here am I with a red card for personal abuse aided by my poor contribution while all who tried to make the thing into a row by being deliberately hostile and aggressive did nothing wrong.

Yes I'd like an admin to review this please.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Scioch wrote: »
    Yes I'd like an admin to review this please.

Fair enough, your post was abusive and deserved action to be taken by the mod. Infraction upheld.

As for the posts by other people in the thread, if you have an issue with any of them then report them for the mods to deal with. Should they deem them worthy of further action the posters in question may appeal their warnings/infractions/bans here, just like you are doing now. Whether or not action is taken against their posts is not your concern, it's up to the forum mods to decide and this has absolutely no bearing on your infraction.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Fair enough, your post was abusive and deserved action to be taken by the mod. Infraction upheld.

As for the posts by other people in the thread, if you have an issue with any of them then report them for the mods to deal with. Should they deem them worthy of further action the posters in question may appeal their warnings/infractions/bans here, just like you are doing now. Whether or not action is taken against their posts is not your concern, it's up to the forum mods to decide and this has absolutely no bearing on your infraction.

I did report them and no action was taken. I pm'd a mod and was ignored. I pm'd a cmod and they made a distinction between my post and others posts yet refuse to explain what that distinction was. They pin blame on me for other posts which were also not actioned as there was nothing to action. I was accused of being abusive by a cmod for having an opinion which others disliked and used to attack me. And why do other posts have no bearing on mine yet my posts seem to be a key factor in why its ok for others to attack me ??

Considering my post (which is merely an attack on a post) is worthy of a red card, by which means can I address the fact that mods and a cmod have ignored similar actionable offences ? Can you or anyone else here even tell me why my post was deemed abuse and other attacks on my posts not ?

Is there any way possible to address this ? I have encountered this problem before. I brought it to the help desk and was ignored for a month before I myself lost interest in it. I brought it to the attention of an admin who threatened me with a site ban for wasting time based on false information from a moderator. It then fizzled out to "We'll have a chat about it" when I explained that. Now it occurs again and around in circles we go. Report posts so mods can ignore them, contact cmods so they can find a way to justify whatever the mods do, dispute it to be told anything can be argued to be a breach of the charter - return to square one.

The only matter at hand here is whether or not the infraction for your post was justified. The CMod upheld the mod's decision and I agreed with that assessment. That concludes the appeal process, there are no further steps to be taken.

Should you wish to start a thread regarding the moderation of the Rugby forum, please do so in Feedback, this forum is not the appropriate place to do so.

As the OP has started a thread in Feedback I'm marking this as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement