Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonless cod, and the best place to buy fish?

Options
  • 18-12-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I am trying to introduce more fish to my diet, perhaps as much as three times per week, but I am having a hell of a time with any thing other than salmon darnes.

So far I have bought cod from Dunnes fresh fish counter on Henry Street (Dublin), and tonight frozen cod fillets from Aldi.

Surprisingly the Aldi cod tasted nice fried in butter and vegetable oil with diced onion, salt and pepper (I had meant to poach it in milk and make a broth but I ran out). Even though it tasted nice I do not enjoy spending half my meal trying to pull bones out of my mouth before swallowing them!

I had understood fillet to mean boneless, is there any supermarket or fish mongers around Dublin City I can get actual boneless cod, you know, like boneless salmon darnes?

They say M&S are good for good fish?

If you have any suggestions for other fish and/or recipes please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

If you buy fish in any fishmonger or a supermarket with a proper fish counter (where the fish is not already wrapped), you can ask to have the bones removed.

I dont know if M&S is good for fish. I am sure that it is decent quality, but it will be already packaged, like everything they sell.

Here is a recent thread of recipes for white fish

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056781215

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

huskerdu wrote: »
    If you buy fish in any fishmonger or a supermarket with a proper fish counter (where the fish is not already wrapped), you can ask to have the bones removed.

I dont know if M&S is good for fish. I am sure that it is decent quality, but it will be already packaged, like everything they sell.

Here is a recent thread of recipes for white fish

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056781215

Thanks.

Can you recommend any fishmonger, preferably in Dublin 2 or near Ranelagh? I'm not sure I have ever noticeably seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Not sure if you have any fishmarkets in Dublin but in Limerick we have a saturday morning market that sells everything. There is a fish stall there and I can buy a bag of haddock for 5 euro . It is filleted there and then and is absolutely delicious. Fish is best eaten fresh so the stuff you buy like this is much nicer than what you buy at tesco or any other supermarket. Most of that stuff is a few days old.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dusf wrote: »
    Thanks.

Can you recommend any fishmonger, preferably in Dublin 2 or near Ranelagh? I'm not sure I have ever noticeably seen one.

www.seafood2go.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Great fishmonger on the upper rathmines road. Beside fothergills and the new Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

If you are going all the way to Dunnes on Henry St for fish, you should be going to Kish Fish in Smithfield, open 9-5 Tuesday-Saturday (1pm).

They charge a fair whack for monkfish & certain others, but equally they do decent specials and have cheaper fish types (blossom, coley), as well as excellent marinated prawns and small fish balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Fallon and Byrne generally have good value in fish. I find the fish in M&S very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's helpful if you know where the bones are. I could try to describe it for you, but it's difficult to put into words. Herself and I eat a lot of fish, and we generally don't get too many bones in our mouths.

You can debone a fish fillet before cooking it. Here is a guide: http://fish-recipes.wonderhowto.com/how-to/debone-fish-fillet-152270/. It's easy with larger fish, but very picky with small ones. It's not too difficult to debone fillets of salmon, sea-trout, cod, hake, and other medium-to-large fish.

Some fish fillets don't have bones because of the nature of the fish. These include monkfish, turbot, brill, sole, and plaice. Portions of larger fish such as tuna, swordfish, and shark are almost guaranteed to be boneless.

Ray is different. Its skeleton is made of cartilage, which is easy to deal with on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I find M & S great for fish, you won't find any bones and they do lovely smoked haddock (undyed one is best). The fishmongers in Superquinn are also great and if you tell them your concerns they will look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks for all the fishy replies :)

If you're reading this and you have something to add please do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement