Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs time frame

Options
  • 18-12-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Having issues with the plumbing in the house I rent.
    Work was carried out last week on a leaky tap and some radiators needed bled so the LL's father and bf turned off the water.
    Since then I have had no pressure at all in the hot tap, itll stop running after 20 seconds and my toilets only flush once a day. My showers arent working and I cant use the Oil nor back boiler either. Meaning no heating except for a small plug in heater I own. Plus the tap they 'fixed' is now leaking everywhere. I was away all weekend and didnt noticed these problems til Sunday night.
    I asked my LL to fix them and told them when i would be here for when the plumber arrives. But theyre saying it could be a few days. Meanwhile I cant wash my clothes cos ive no heat to dry them (mains tap is working fine), no heat in house, no water, having to go to my mothers every morning to have shower before work.
    To me the water issue and lack of heating is a basic requirement of a rental property and as such the repair times should be short.
    Can anyone tell me how many day I should expect this to be done in???

side note: the reason I am insisting i be here when the plumber is, is because last night my LLs father and brother just walked into my house at 7.15pm with 2 men, totally unannounced, without even knocking the door, to deliver a washing machine. Frightened the life out of me. He has entered the house on other occasions to take things he has here too without my consent to enter, even unplugging a heater I had on a timer in the living room.
    Theyre saying that because i am insisting on being here that it will delay the plumber coming out.....i dont see how.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This close to christmas, you'd probably be better turning into psycho bitch, and let them have no rest until they get it sorted, as I'm thinking they'll leave it go for a bit, and then will bring up the "it's christmas, can't get a plumber" excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

This should be sorted within a couple of days, it's not reasonable that you have no heating and such limited sanitation. Having said that, if you are giving only limited times you will be there to meet the plumber (eg evenings) it will restrict the availability of a plumber this time of year.
    Tbh if it was me, I'd insist on it sorted within 48 hours even if you are not there, and fight the issue of unannounced visits by the LL another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would advise sending a registered letter to the landlord outlining the issues, and given the nature of the issues stating that you wish to have all issues resolved in full by no later than Monday (Christmas Eve). Inform him that if the issues are to persist you will have no choice but to take a case against him and look to void the lease as the property does not meet minimum standards. The law states that you are entitled to have issues of this nature fixed in a reasonable time frame, and given the time of year Id say its not unreasonable to want heat over Christmas, and also considering the fact that if they are not fixed before Monday they are unlikely to get resolved before the new year, Id say he needs to get his act together.

In your letter I would also remind the landlord that it is against the law for him to let himself into the property unannounced, and that he must give you a minimum of 24 hours notice any time he intends to pay you a visit, and it must be at your convenience (ie he cannot just say that he will be there tomorrow and demand to be let in). This is one law that is taken very seriously and repeated breaches will see him in a lot of trouble. Its no harm to remind him of this, but also to get it down in writing that you have brought it up as an issue.

I would however say that if you want these issues fixed in a hurry you will have to make yourself available pretty much 24/7 (within reason) until the issues are fixed. The harder you make it for the plumber to call around, the longer it will take to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

I made myself available all day today and up until 2pm tomorrow and still no joy.
    They are saying they cant get the plumber to commit to a time.
    Ive plans tomorrow afternoon/evening that I really cant get out of.
    I worked over lunch today so that I could be free tomorrow morning.
    Im sitting here now with washing I cant get dry, wearing a scarf and heavy cardigan with a blanket over my knees. I also paid januarys rent early since I had the money and didnt want to be organising it next week.

I just want the water sorted so I can have a godamn shower and be able to light the fire. And I dont think I am being unreasonable given the time of year and the fact that it was their previous attempts at fixing a leaky tap that escalated into the situation as it stands.

djimi wrote: »
    I would however say that if you want these issues fixed in a hurry you will have to make yourself available pretty much 24/7 (within reason) until the issues are fixed. The harder you make it for the plumber to call around, the longer it will take to resolve.

I started a new job 6 weeks ago and its the busiest time of the year plus we're updating a new system. Its hard to be available 24/7 at the moment.
    But...if it hadnt of been for Mondays entering without knocking or permission, then I would have let the plumber come anytime even if i wasnt here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

MariMel wrote: »

I started a new job 6 weeks ago and its the busiest time of the year plus we're updating a new system. Its hard to be available 24/7 at the moment.
    But...if it hadnt of been for Mondays entering without knocking or permission, then I would have let the plumber come anytime even if i wasnt here.
    You are cutting off your nose Marimel and giving the LL an excuse not to resolve this IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

MariMel wrote: »

Is there anyone else that you can have on standby with a key that could let them in if it came to it? I can appreciate the predicament but its really in your best interest to ensure that they can get into the house.

You are cutting off your nose Marimel and giving the LL an excuse not to resolve this IMO.
    djimi wrote: »
    Is there anyone else that you can have on standby with a key that could let them in if it came to it? I can appreciate the predicament but its really in your best interest to ensure that they can get into the house.

I was available all day tues, all day wednesday....thursday to 2pm. Any evening after 5. Bear in mind I had no access to heating nor hot water which is a basic requirement for tenants. Plus its the middle of December, not exactly bikini wearing weather. And my tenancy is registered with the PRTB too.
    There really would not have been any objection to them calling anytime to fix if it hadnt to have been the LLs father entering the house without even the decency to knock first. Twice in the week before this, he had let himself into the house....had gone round plugging things in rooms he shouldnt even have been in. I think I have been very nice about the whole situation.
    As I made it clear to my LL, its the father entering the house that I have the issue with.

As it turns out I agreed to allowing the plumber in when I wasnt there last night once accompanied with someone other than the father. As I was leaving the house at 2pm, the plumber arrived. Had to wait for the father to land with some taps. But the plumber got it sorted pretty quick.
    Was the fathers fault in first place after trying to fix something himself rather than getting the plumber in in the first place. But thats neither here nor there now.

I have heat and my hot water taps are finally working. My toilet will now flush whenever needed so all's good.

But I tell you......when the new roof goes in on the extension at the back, i'll be looking for more notice than them just turning up.

Oh yeah....another question:
    There are 4 bedrooms in the house i am in and the 2 at the back are the ones we use. They have low ceilings, are easy to heat and the nicest ones. They are also the ones over which the new roof has to go in(flat roof).
    Ive no idea how long this work will take. Should full rent be expected for this week/s while the work is going on? (flat to pitched)
    Oh and when i first mentioned this leak they knew exactly where it was. The father has done patch up jobs twice since march(when i moved in) but this time its gotten worse, hence the new roof in the new year.

Advertisement