Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry McGeough released?

• 18-12-2012 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Has he been released?

I heard he is going to be released, is it just for Christmas or permanently? Hopefully the latter.

I can't confirm it, all I found is this:
    The Justice Minister should apologise to a Co Tyrone councillor for allowing the IRA man who attempted to murder him temporary release from prison without informing his victim, it is claimed.
    http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/headlines/ford-must-say-sorry-for-ira-man-s-release-1-4591941

Hopefully he has been, long overdue. Under the weston park agreement he should never have been arrested... and under the same agreement there should have been a public inquiry into pat finucain... Brits shredded that promise too

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

We're releasing a murdering terrorist into the community for Christmas... hooray! Rejoice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Denerick wrote: »
    We're releasing a murdering terrorist into the community for Christmas... hooray! Rejoice!
    Who did he murder?

Under the Weston Park agreement he should never have been arrested. Gerry McGeough was a big player in the peace process and a member of SF's leadership during that time. He then left because of his religious views (devout catholic) and the party's support of the PSNI. He is not at risk of re-offending or joining dissidents or whatever.

Eeamon O Cúiv is to be applauded for the excellent work he has done for Gerry, visiting him regularly etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ah. It was only attempted murder. That's alright then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Denerick wrote: »
    Theirs a lot of murdering terrorists walking about the North and over in England who never have done a day in prison for their crimes,
    on the contrary they were lauded and promoted to higher ranks in her majesty's finest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Hopefully not, I know you are against small minorities getting their way through violence and will agree. But hang on, hmm this is confusing, you said this about loyalists protesting about the flag issue
    GRMA wrote: »
    Well whatever your opinion on the decision its clear now that the flag cannot go back up - doing so is giving in to violent fascists

But you said this

[/Quote=GRMA]I think there is more to be gained from examining their motivations and grievances and perhaps, where practicable, remove the reasons for their actions than just condemning them in increasingly more damning and extravagant ways.[/Quote]

About a very small minority of people who thought murdering a prision guard was the way to get what the want????

I am confused by these conflicting statements.

• Advertisement

gallag wrote: »
    Hopefully not, I know you are against small minorities getting their way through violence and will agree. But hang on, hmm this is confusing, you said this about loyalists protesting about the flag issue

But you said this
    I think there is more to be gained from examining their motivations and grievances and perhaps, where practicable, remove the reasons for their actions than just condemning them in increasingly more damning and extravagant ways.[/Quote]

About a very small minority of people who thought murdering a prision guard was the way to get what the want????

I am confused by these conflicting statements.[/QUOTE]
    Gerry McGeough had nothing to do with that?

Wanting jails made into safer environments (for everyone) is hardly the same as flying a flag the same amount of days as Stormont, as voted for by a democratically elected representative body like Belfast city council. I think the jail should be run the same as Portlaoise. Safe and secure, no guards at risk and no propaganda gold for dissidents. A change of Prison policy which is relatively minor, which the prison agreed to.

I'd been warning and worried that just such a thing would happen if the situation in the jail was not alleviated. And I was especially gutted when it did. Such a waste.

You also took that quote out of context, I also condemned, and I'll repeat it here, the heinous murder of Black.

It looks like steps are being taken in the jails too which is welcome, protests etc have been called off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Who did he murder?

Under the Weston Park agreement he should never have been arrested. Gerry McGeough was a big player in the peace process and a member of SF's leadership during that time. He then left because of his religious views (devout catholic) and the party's support of the PSNI. He is not at risk of re-offending or joining dissidents or whatever.

Eeamon O Cúiv is to be applauded for the excellent work he has done for Gerry, visiting him regularly etc.

I'm afraid I don't have much interest in matters Northern Irish,but the reference to this gentleman being a "devout" Catholic got my attention.

Could you perhaps expand a little on that specific issue and it's relevance ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

He then left because of his religious views (devout catholic) and the party's support of the PSNI.

As a devout catholic was he opposed to tolerance and respect?

I am no Sinn Fein supported but they have done great work in supporting the LGBT community and people like McGeough belong in the past

However you gloss over it he is a man who was happy to kill a postman in cold blood and with silly boys in limerick looking to start the war again he should stay behind bars

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't have much interest in matters Northern Irish,but the reference to this gentleman being a "devout" Catholic got my attention.

Could you perhaps expand a little on that specific issue and it's relevance ?
    He had issues with SF where they were in conflict with his religious views, things like abortion etc. It was a major part of the reason he left SF which is why I mentioned it.

Personally I think his views are antiquated.

• Advertisement

Winty wrote: »
    As a devout catholic was he opposed to tolerance and respect?

I am no Sinn Fein supported but they have done great work in supporting the LGBT community and people like McGeough belong in the past

However you gloss over it he is a man who was happy to kill a postman in cold blood and with silly boys in limerick looking to start the war again he should stay behind bars

When you say postman you don't give the full picture and are being disingenuous. The man was a soldier too. The UDR were attached at the hip to loyalist paramilitaries, even the white wash da silva report makes that clear.

Besides he supports the peace process and was a major player in making it happen. He doesn't support any armed action today whatsoever, even the British court during his trial accepted that he poses no threat to anyone today. Do you think people like FF's Eamon O Cúiv would spend so much time helping the campaign to free Gerry, giving speeches, making representations, campaigning, attending fund-raisers etc etc if Gerry was like the loopers from Limerick?

Under the GFA he will only serve 2 years maximum out of the 20 he was sentenced to. I want to know if he is being permanently released or just for Christmas, then being permanently released later in 2013. Does anyone know this?

Under the Weston park agreement the British govt agreed not to prosecute people like Gerry McGeough. They also agreed to hold a public inquiry into the murder of human rights lawyer Patrick Finucain. The British have refused to do so. Their violation of this agreement should be condemned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

When you say postman you don't give the full picture and are being disingenuous. The man was a soldier too. The UDR were attached at the hip to loyalist paramilitaries, even the white wash da silva report makes that clear.

Besides he supports the peace process and was a major player in making it happen. He doesn't support any armed action today whatsoever, even the British court during his trial accepted that he poses no threat to anyone today. Do you think people like FF's Eamon O Cúiv would spend so much time helping the campaign to free Gerry, giving speeches, making representations, campaigning, attending fund-raisers etc etc if Gerry was like the loopers from Limerick?.

Some of your comments are very articulate so they warrant some research on my side, I will do some reading on the subject and see if my opinion will change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Besides he supports the peace process and was a major player in making it happen. He doesn't support any armed action today whatsoever, even the British court during his trial accepted that he poses no threat to anyone today. Do you think people like FF's Eamon O Cúiv would spend so much time helping the campaign to free Gerry, giving speeches, making representations, campaigning, attending fund-raisers etc etc if Gerry was like the loopers from Limerick?

Under the GFA he will only serve 2 years maximum out of the 20 he was sentenced to. I want to know if he is being permanently released or just for Christmas, then being permanently released later in 2013. Does anyone know this?

Under the Weston park agreement the British govt agreed not to prosecute people like Gerry McGeough. They also agreed to hold a public inquiry into the murder of human rights lawyer Patrick Finucain. The British have refused to do so. Their violation of this agreement should be condemned.

Do you know if this post man was 'attached to the hip' to loyalist paramiltarys? Or is it just a presumption that slows you to 'disingenuously' write of his life, a defacto 'he deserved it'

junder wrote: »
    Do you know if this post man was 'attached to the hip' to loyalist paramiltarys? Or is it just a presumption that slows you to 'disingenuously' write of his life, a defacto 'he deserved it'
    We all know that the UDR were clsly linked to loyalist paramilitaries, often gave weapons and info and many were even members of illegal loyalist murder gangs as well as being members of the legal UDR state equivalent.

The point I was making is that he was not just a simply postman as some would like to portray, but was a member of a murderous sectarian group like the UDR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

He had issues with SF where they were in conflict with his religious views, things like abortion etc. It was a major part of the reason he left SF which is why I mentioned it.

Personally I think his views are antiquated.

But as a devout Catholic he had no problem with their support of violence and the terrorist campaign. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

junder wrote: »
    Or is it just a presumption that slows you to 'disingenuously' write of his life, a defacto 'he deserved it'

Did anyone deserve to die? The UDR was a regiment of the British army in a troubled place at a troubled time. The UDR colluded and participated with loyalist death squads in their targeting of innocent Catholics (British Report). What did he think he was part of? Meals on wheels?

I might add too that over half the initial recruits to the UDR were formerly of the disbanded B-Special sectarian thugs who terrorised and tormented the Catholic community.

Godge wrote: »
    But as a devout Catholic he had no problem with their support of violence and the terrorist campaign. Strange.
    I don't know if he was a devout catholic then. However, just because you are a catholic it doesn't mean that joining an army or fighting a war is in conflict with your religion. As I'm sure you know.

Many of those who fought in the Easter rising or war of independence were very religious, both protestants and catholics.

Not that any of this matters, I dont care about religion and I disagree with his views on social issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I don't know if he was a devout catholic then. However, just because you are a catholic it doesn't mean that joining an army or fighting a war is in conflict with your religion. As I'm sure you know.

Many of those who fought in the Easter rising or war of independence were very religious, both protestants and catholics.

Not that any of this matters, I dont care about religion and I disagree with his views on social issues.

Not so sure about that, clutching at straws. If the Pope declares it a just war (as he did the Crusades) then you can fight a war as a devout Catholic. Otherwise, no. Certainly, after the Pope begged in 1979 that arms be laid down, there can be no justification for any devout Catholic to take up arms in the North.

Update on this, Gerry is being released permanently tomorrow :)

Advertisement